• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

would you drive this?

it is killing the automotive hobby, it is just a bunch of rich douchebags who shell out a bunch of cash for cars that are worth nowhere near what it payed for them. This makes everyone think that their old muscle car is worth loads of green, just because some dumbass shelled out a assload of money for a similar car. this is especially true of mopars... you can't find a cheap mopar anymore, even ****ty ones are mad expensive and even cars like darts that there are a million of.

the opinion of a guy from another forum, who I agree with
Barret Jackson ****s ass, and the baby boomers who know jack **** about cars and buy the crap that is peddled at these auctions need to die. My stepdad suggested that when the boomers begin to die off or just get alot older, prices might come down, especially with the way energy/gas prices is going. In a way, I hope he's right, but I don't think things will turn around quickly enough.

barret jackson has almost killed my dream of owning a mopar. the prices are rediculous and restoration parts are in short supply comparred to chevys and even fords. everything is just too ****ing expensive. ebay is pretty ****ing stupid too.

That's what has pissed me off about old cars. My hobby is this close to being ****canned because of it. I sold my '78 Trans Am, in 2002, for $7500. It was mint. I want it back......but I can't buy it back....so I turn to local ads.....cars are now over $10k for stock/in need of work cars.

Mopars? Can't touch them. I wanted to sell my '66 Charger, because it needed a lot of work, and I wanted to get a dart, because it's the only "cheap" mopar left that isn't a turd. No luck again. $15-20k again for a good condition one. 2nd gen, even 3rd gen chargers? Not a chance.

Barrett-Jackson ****s for real car people... it is fine for assholes who just want a pretty toy and will overpay for it.

Upvote 0
hahaha, ok I see where you are coming from. Yeah, having no money ****s sometimes.

I'm actually on the other side of the coin with the point of view that without all the 'people with money' ...these oldies wouldnt be brought back to original condition (or modified so beautifully that they are unique). Instead they'd sit on some poor saps lawn while he dreams of affording a full restoration. The prices vary from very affordable (15-30K) to out-of-this-world (100k-millions), so I dont see a prob.

Of course, if you have no money...

Upvote 0
the problem is not with the fact that there are these very nice cars that are worth some money... although most of the cars there are very overvalued (you would be surprised that for the prices some of these restored cars go for, not infrequently the reso work is actually not that great, but the people who are buying them dont know the difference) the problem is that people seem to think that even the beat up rusted out cars that they have sitting on the lawn are worth millions and thusly won't sell them for a reasonable amount, to somone who would take care of them and restore them and drive them. Cars were made to drive, there is not point in having a classic car and not driving it:cool: and these classic cars should be owned by people who work on them and build them themselves... its not your car if you don't wrench on it IMO

I have put alot more money into my 64' Ford than it is worth:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
and... automatics are just as good if not better than a manual for almost every situation

... as long as you don't want to/need to take a corner at 10/10ths... Autos are crap for cornering. The torque converter acts as too much of a cusion, making throttle steer go down the drain.

They kill control mid-corner. Also, mid-corner downshifting with an auto when you're driving at full-tilt? No thanks. Good way to spin. Manuals, you just give a quick blip of the throttle and you're good.

+1 to what you said about Barrett-Jackson. That car linked is an all-show, no go POS. Over-lowered, wheels too big for performance. I could go on. I hate show cars. It's gotta be a driver. Target demographic is rich guys with no taste, no automotive passion and no penile function. :p

The schmucks with no passion who play the wannabe game are the ones who get great cars screwed up. Duschebags.

Upvote 0
I could steer through the corners pretty well with my Ram, the posi helped a lot. As long as I braked properly and or down shifted I could keep the RPM's up and use the accelerator to steer. I'm on the brake and throttle simultaneously ...often.

Entering the corner at the right place, speed and angle are a must though.

But yea, manuals are way better for corners.

P.S. also having 35 inch tires I'm sure helps slow you down, that's a lot of rolling resistance.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can push my wife's Bronco around an on-ramp well enough, but a slushy box car will never allow the level of control you see with a third pedal (and I don't mean a parking brake pedal.)

P.S. also having 35 inch tires I'm sure helps slow you down, that's a lot of rolling resistance.

Yeah, but I prefer a nice four-wheel drift to scrub speed. :D

Upvote 0