• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sgt._Geist

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
I don't know if this was ever mentioned but... since seeing the typical german soldier in RO has mask container on his back... can we somehow implement this into the game somehow...

Have a few maps that deal with some kind of chemicals, or mustard gas in the air.... it would be neat to see a few maps where the Germans have their masks on...

Playing with the masks on having a limited view... hearing them breathe... and having the talking muffled from the mask... that would be sooooo cool! :D

Only problem being that chemical weapons were not used on Eastern Front, and for all that I know, not on any front in WWII. At least not in mentionable quantities.

Gas mask container was a very good "field pillow" (though bit hard), and kept your bread and cigarets dry. That was the best use of it.:)

Don`t know what they did with the mask. Play elefants with each other?

edit. Ups. Playing elephants can be done only by using soviet gas masks, not germans.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Historical and historical. While realism is a good thing, let's not forget that it is a game.

In WWI they used to fire gas grenades at the trenches and attack, through the gas with their masks on, as the defenders were putting on their gas masks.

Getting gassed in the game might not be historically correct, but it might be a fun what if scenario. It might even be a gas. :p

Upvote 0
YOU LIE!! I own my own gas mask lets not forget... The German gasmask is very close in the eye design of the S-10 avon gas mask...

I can shoot perfectly fine with my gas mask on while using IS or using a scope...

Here is the German mask
gasmask1.jpg

Here is the S-10
gasmask2.jpg

Its very easy to use IS or a scope with the mask on.... it can be a pain resting your cheek to the stock... but it can be done:D

Upvote 0
YOU LIE!! I own my own gas mask lets not forget... The German gasmask is very close in the eye design of the S-10 avon gas mask...

I can shoot perfectly fine with my gas mask on while using IS or using a scope...

Here is the German mask
gasmask1.jpg

Here is the S-10
gasmask2.jpg

Its very easy to use IS or a scope with the mask on.... it can be a pain resting your cheek to the stock... but it can be done:D
The BIG Dif between the two is the filter...The German mask is right infront of your mouth making it very hard to move a rifle around it...if you were to rest your cheek against it it would be moved out of place by the rifle, exposing openings on the side of the mask...
IMHO:
Yes it can be done but no i dont think it would make gameplay any more interesting...
Nice idea but again wont do much to make RO more indepth.

Upvote 0
Many Soviet soliders just thrown their gas masks - minus weight and able to use its bag as ВЕЩМЕШОК (dont know how to translate - its that bad that you use in RPG for food, cloths, items store :) )

верно мыслишь, буржуи ни черта о войне не знают.

As it has already been told, soldiers usually use their gasmasks bags/boxes for
keeping personal things, food, etc...

Upvote 0
Well my S-10 feels very light until you throw the filter on... being that my filter is on the left side... its hard to turn my head to the left without hitting my shoulder...

The German mask has the filter on the bottom... its gonna have some gravity pulling down on the mask... but its great since it doesnt effect left or right handed shooters... the filter cant get in the way... since it hangs down... therefore leaving you to turn your head freely left or right and also being able to rest your cheek on the stock...

The whole thing someone said before was it would be hard to see through a mask and it would limit your IS....

But I am telling you first hand it doesnt... especially if you have been wearing it for several hours you get used to it... the eyepieces are HUGE!!! they are soo easy to use and see through..:D

Upvote 0
Better go and build a WWI mod then. That ought to be really thrilling. Sitting in a trench for 15 minutes waiting for the barrage to stop and then getting mown down by MG fire in the last 5 minutes of the map :D .
My brother has wanted a ww1 game and I keep telling him similar things as in your post and that it would be no fun.
You speak the truth if they ever make a ww1 game.:p

Upvote 0
The whole thing someone said before was it would be hard to see through a mask and it would limit your IS....

But I am telling you first hand it doesnt... especially if you have been wearing it for several hours you get used to it... the eyepieces are HUGE!!! they are soo easy to use and see through..:D
Tried shooting in a WWII gas mask?
Tried running around alot wearing one, and then shooting though the fogged up eye-pieces.

Upvote 0