• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra an Windows 64 bit (xp or vista)

I have an Athlon64, Asus 939 A8N-E and Asus gfx card, latest drivers for these and all other components in the PC. Limited driver support is not something that I have come across.

You will not loose or gain performance in RO from using XP 64-bit. I gotta tell you though, the windows interface, loading apps etc.. is faster than ever since I switched to 64.

Upvote 0
I have xp x64 pro, and I have no problems with red orchestra. Certain half life 2 mods will require you to run it with the command line optio "-32bit" to make it function correctly. Red orchestra and steam however runs out of the box, perfectly.

To above poster.
It doesnt matter if you have a 64bit proccie. If you dont have a 64bit operating system (windows xp x64) you can NOT run 64bit code.
Thats where people were ripped off. They were sold 64bit processors, telling them how its faster. While they got xp home. There is no xp home that is 64bit, or that supports 64bit. Only XP Pro/2003 server/Vista/ Vistaserver edition specially marked x64 can run in 64bit mode.

Upvote 0
To above poster.
It doesnt matter if you have a 64bit proccie. If you dont have a 64bit operating system (windows xp x64) you can NOT run 64bit code.
Thats where people were ripped off. They were sold 64bit processors, telling them how its faster. While they got xp home. There is no xp home that is 64bit, or that supports 64bit. Only XP Pro/2003 server/Vista/ Vistaserver edition specially marked x64 can run in 64bit mode.

Ah, that's a bummer! Thanks for answering :)

Upvote 0
How do you tell if your computer is "64bit?" I have a HP Windows Media Center... if that helps...
I mentioned in my post how to tell. Unless its marked x64 (you dont see x64 and never seen it) its not.
You should see it on your boot logo (pre sp1 for xp pro x64 I think) and on your default desktop background.
Only windows xp professional/Vista/2003 server have x64 versions.

Windows media center did not come in 64bit versions nor did xp home. While ur processor might support it, your operating system
does not.

"I think ill wait on vista until some service packs come out...unless there are 0 bugs?"
dude what planet are you from. I would advise everyone to wait at least 6 months. I myself will not
get it untill support problems with xp. There is no point in having to have my hardware upgraded to have the same "speed" I have now in xp. All my clients are advised to wait one year. Most of them I guess dont realise, with their old printers, they might just have to replace all their office equipment if they go vista, because of lack of driver support...

Upvote 0
Bugs or not i would give Vista a wait for a while until drivers get optimized for it properly.

Though im not going to put Vista on my 'puter regardless, but if you are planning to get it, save up for 2 gig of ram...by that time the drivers will have matured into something half decent, and you will probably need that much for serious gaming on Vista anyway.

Upvote 0
Well, I've already got 2 GB RAM on my desktop (do a lot of photo editing).

And I used my coupon to get a Vista Upgrade that came with my new Laptop to get Home Premium for $75. But I plan to put that on my desktop, since I've got more RAM on it.

Hopefully I'll be able to install it on the computer I want.

Anybody know anything about those Newly bought computers where they mail you Vista after the release?

Upvote 0