• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I don't understand this performance crap

extremepilot

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006
This is not really a request for help so I think it would be better off here.
I have a good computer that surpasses the recommended requirements:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz Hyperthreading processor, BFG Tech 7800 GS, 1Gig of 400Mhz, 7200 RPM 80Gb hard drive.

Danzing goes down to 35 FPS when I overlook a scene with some trees and a bridge (Trees seem to be an FPS killer, even in CS:S?)
Is this a processor problem, video card problem or memory problem?

Hmmm... I've got a Dual-Core 2.8something Gig processor, 1Gig of memory, and an Nvidia 7K-series card in a Dell machine and most everything runs decently after a few minutes to settle in on 'busier' maps like Danzig. Have you tried using some of the tweaks in the 'Tweaks and Tricks' thread? I did most of of pre-caching stuff mentioned and it helps- I get between 70-90 fps on most field maps, but on the busier city maps it does go down to 40-50 sometimes.

Upvote 0
I run a modest 3200Xp/ 2gb / 6800gt , and if I swap the video card for my 6600 vanilla I get virtually no performance difference, so the game isn't heavy on the GPU.
I always considered CPU to be my bottleneck, but then again, mine's not too bad with v high res/specs so I guess doubling your ram will help (well it's obviously gonna be better, but you know what I mean)
All the extras in RO means the engine is at it's limit and it doesn't seem to run as smoothly as you would think it should, considering it doesn't look as pretty as BF2 and others. Thats the cpu being loaded, as others have said I imagine. I don't know how good yours is- dont know intel.
Sorry to ask silly question but you get the same results in an offline practice map as well, I presume?

Upvote 0
This is not really a request for help so I think it would be better off here.
I have a good computer that surpasses the recommended requirements:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz Hyperthreading processor, BFG Tech 7800 GS, 1Gig of 400Mhz, 7200 RPM 80Gb hard drive.

Danzing goes down to 35 FPS when I overlook a scene with some trees and a bridge (Trees seem to be an FPS killer, even in CS:S?)
Is this a processor problem, video card problem or memory problem?

LOL, You guys are doing great! 35 isn't bad at all.
I do pretty good when I play and my FPS usually averages out at about 15 to 20 tops. Some busier maps it's down around 8 to 10 FPS. That is with most things turned right down.
I can't wait till the day when I have a new comp and can turn some settings up! LOL

Upvote 0
For more or less weird reasons, I have noticed that (used my brother's comp to test this) while playing with high details the game literally has some sort of fetish to drop FPS in 3\4 of urban areas, or some specific areas, like watching a single tree or something.

However, with very low details the game runs so smooth that you barely notice anything. These sudden FPS drops simply doesn't exist then.

With medium details, it does that randomly. And the funny thing is, that it only happens in specific areas only. Like some random trees or houses in Danzig FPS was dropped down like 20 - 40 with high details, while with low details no effect. Medium had very minor (less than 10) FPS drop.

Upvote 0
It is too cpu intensive for me. When I turn everything up (no AA or similar jazz) I can play with 1-20 frames per second. On smaller maps like Krasni it is more to the 20s and on large maps like tank-maps it more in the single digits.

The problem is, that when I turn everything down, I don't get much more than 5 frames more.

I don't play the game anymore, because it started to piss me off. More often than not I could easily shoot back if my frames were higher, but as it stands I get killed in the most stupid situations without having a real chance to fight back. Sometimes its really embarrasing how bad my aim is, and from other games I know that its not (only) my fault.

My system is above the minimum requirements and slightly below the recommended requirements (my cpu is 200MHz too slow as I have 1.8GHz) so one could think that the game would run fine with everything on "lowest". I guess the so called "minimum system requirements" are needed to be able to start the game and load a map and the "recommended requirements" enable you to play the game with everything on lowest if you don't care for low framerates.

I wonder what the real system requirements for a tank map or hedge-hog are.

Sometimes, when I see an ingame video of RO (for example the trailer on the bonus disc) I start to dream how awesome the game would be if it would run properly.

Upvote 0
LOL, You guys are doing great! 35 isn't bad at all.
I do pretty good when I play and my FPS usually averages out at about 15 to 20 tops. Some busier maps it's down around 8 to 10 FPS. That is with most things turned right down.
I can't wait till the day when I have a new comp and can turn some settings up! LOL
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've got basically every setting on its lowest possible (except I have textures merely set to "low" and not lower or lowest). One day I'm going to get an asskicker PC able to just Krank everything to the max with no worries. I can only imagine how sweet it feels to be able to do that.

Upvote 0
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've got basically every setting on its lowest possible (except I have textures merely set to "low" and not lower or lowest). One day I'm going to get an asskicker PC able to just Krank everything to the max with no worries. I can only imagine how sweet it feels to be able to do that.
Out of interest whats your cpu/ram/gpu?
Cos running on visual low settings hardly makes a difference to me- I get the impression Ro's probably smoother on a top Processor with a 5900 than a mediocre chip and a 7800 series.

Upvote 0