• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-TractorWorks_beta2

Hey Nestor, isn't that second picture what DRECKS used for the intro to his COD Lazur map? :)

Your right Mr Moe

56424_1.jpg

Upvote 0
To address this whole not-enough-tanks hub-bub I hear so much about.

I played TW for the first time since the alphas. As a russian, those tanks ripped us to shreds. Perhaps if the play area was bigger, but other than that, no. Our russian tanker wasn't the best, and spent too much time trying to flank the other two tanks. I remember hearing the tankers over TS wondering where it was all the time. Mean-while, they wasted no time pelting us russian infantrymen with coaxial MGs and HE shells. On top of that, waves of infantry came in on half tracks. They even got behind the Main gate and pelted us coming from the admin building.

But by continuously throwing meat into the grinder, we held them off with 85% reinforcements on the axis side, and 35% on our own. For one, anymore tanks would make it too crowded. After taking the main gate, they would be pointless.

Upvote 0
Time seems ok. At first it seemed impossible for the Germans but now that players know which way to go they seem to win more often than lose. Like Berezina, a lot depends on the tankers skill. If the T34 can keep the Axis tanks at bay then the infantry have a chance to get into defensive positions. If they let the Pz4 into the railyard then it savages the Russians going from spawn to the building. It will be interesting to see what effect the AT guns have.

Upvote 0
I think I will fill the railyard up a bit more to make it harder on the Germans to camp back there. That's a weakness that the Russians really can't counter unless the T34 chooses to cover that area and that leaves the Stug to rampage. The AT guns will only balance things out early on, once they are knocked out, this situation will arise anyway. I'll figure out a fix. Thanks for pointing that out.

Upvote 0
Things are skewed a bit now because of the mistaken "6" Russian engineer classes as well- this gives them a lot more close quarters AT ability but it also weakens their defense of the open area (only SMGs) and dwindles reinforcements (satchel charge soldiers usually equate to suicide bombers). The fix will affect gameplay somewhat.
Also the windows giving the Russians a view of the commons have very few spots to "rest" weapons effectively (esp MGs). Maybe a row of sandbags inside the walls that MGs could set up on would make the commons the nightmare to cross that they should be.

PS- and I think the tank load out is spot on

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A couple of us were looking over the map last night and discussing some changes to the beginning phase which would add one objective and create some street fighting...possibly. The physical changes would take about an hour of work, it's the tweaking and testing that would eat up time. I will be experimenting with those ideas and hope to do some internal playtesting over the next two days. If it looks promising, I'll keep it.

The commons area has really changed with the raised walls. Performance still feels rather consistant with before the changes. Still a lot of modifications to do.

The engineer thing...what a mess. But just because there are X number doesn't mean they should all be used. The observation of them wasting lives is right on though. Instead of ambushing tanks guys just charge and chuck.

Upvote 0
Some updated screenshots. I am slowly getting caught up to the new resource photos, having made the commons area walls, steps, and monument into static mesh. After some discussions I have been working on extending the start area to the southwest, to incorporate the avenue leading up between all the destroyed apartments, toward the large clearing behind the 'apartments' objective and the building due south of it. If this change proves feasible through testing, I expect to add one more objective to the map and increase time to 45 minutes from 35. Reinforcements will go from: German=500, Russian=275 to German=550, Russian 300. Again, all of this in tenative until it proves out via testing.

Until the next beta, a few new screenshots:

I just had to know if I could get up there. ;)
twoops.jpg

Looking south toward the commons:
Shot00106.jpg

The new commons walls/raised area:
Shot00107.jpg

Looking back northeasterly to the monument area:
Shot00108.jpg

Another view west:
Shot00109.jpg

Updated factory interior area, one building removed, tree areas improved:
Shot00110.jpg

Upvote 0
IMHO :)m8 your maps are the best!:)
You should get 1st prize
(for your next map you should work with russ that man is a reference goldmine!!)

Thanks, but there are a lot of good maps out there right now and I am sure there are several that no one has even seen that will be nice. The extension of the deadline changed the pool, I am sure. I know it's been very good to have the extra six weeks and can't believe how much my project alone has changed since December 15th.

I'd love to work with Russ. That's for another day/project. Kurgan though... ;)

Upvote 0
Looks good Slyk.
After some more playing of current version the German dominance continues (public servers of 20+ players). The key fight to the map seems to be the Main Gate. Getting up to it goes very fast and the battle afterwards doesn't last too long. Unlike Berezina, where there are several key battles along the way (the 1st and 2nd line usually take the longest) to the climatic river battle at the end. The apartment battle doesn't last anywhere near as long as it seems it should (it falls fast like the crossroads/outpost on Berezina). There might be something that could be done there to make it more of a key obstacle to German advance (like the 1st line).
At the end battle the Russians might benefit from one more entry point into the main building (another door or hole in the wall). There's the far south staircase to 2nd floor and the hole to the basement but I rarely see people use these- they stampede to the 1-North door where they are easy prey for waiting Germans.
Anyway, so far this is a great successor to Berezina. Thanks for making it.

Upvote 0
Looks good Slyk.
After some more playing of current version the German dominance continues (public servers of 20+ players). The key fight to the map seems to be the Main Gate. Getting up to it goes very fast and the battle afterwards doesn't last too long. Unlike Berezina, where there are several key battles along the way (the 1st and 2nd line usually take the longest) to the climatic river battle at the end. The apartment battle doesn't last anywhere near as long as it seems it should (it falls fast like the crossroads/outpost on Berezina). There might be something that could be done there to make it more of a key obstacle to German advance (like the 1st line).
At the end battle the Russians might benefit from one more entry point into the main building (another door or hole in the wall). There's the far south staircase to 2nd floor and the hole to the basement but I rarely see people use these- they stampede to the 1-North door where they are easy prey for waiting Germans.
Anyway, so far this is a great successor to Berezina. Thanks for making it.

Thanks for the input Reese, that's helpful stuff. Personally I see a lot of scenarios with both teams winning but getting feedback from public servers as you state is very valuable. I never wanted the gate to be a big fight though, but with the objective change to force it to be taken before opening the Admin is sometimes making it a focal point. Another entry to the Admin is a very good idea...where without impacting the anti-portals is the question. Another tunnel in is one idea and expanding the basement to the north wing with another entry up to the ground floor has been discussed. I'll move to that area now and look it over...anything to get away from adding furniture and hanging lights!!! haha

Upvote 0
Thanks Drude, glad you enjoy it. I am going to up the Russian reinforcements just a tad. I hope the wasting of lives is still a 'newness' factor with the map and or eager new players not paying attention to objectives...which is what it seems like many times. I really want to create a 'desperation' mode for both teams, time vs lives and it has room for tweaking.

*New entry to the basement under 1-North. Stair exit under the north lobby stairs and one in the first floor room between the hall barricades, the room just south of the hole in the wall. I am going to try to 'number' the offices as well to help guys ID their locations better.

Upvote 0
Expanded Apartments cap zone: I did expand the cap zone to the entire four rooms and hallway on the third floor (not the hall way running back to the center stairs). If the capzone is on two or more floors, I think that the battle would have a greater chance of settling in to a camp fest where no one will venture up or down the steps and grenades and satchels would rain up and down. If the map was all about capping one building, this would be great, but in this case not so much. I have intended all along for the apartment cap to be a speed bump for the Germans and a battlefield objective where the Germans would want to clear and use the building to spot/snipe toward the gate and admin buildings. Always take the high ground, especially when it dominates an open area around it.

Upvote 0