• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not able to shoot when enemy too close

U3BAPuHCKUU*_4yBAK

Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006
When you trying to stab someone, and not killed with 1 strike, enemy just turn and kill you, especially if he got automatic/semiautomatic weapon.
What my idea about, you should not be able to shoot some of weapons when enemy too close to you (0-0,5meters) AND you facing him. Weapon just lowering down so you forced to melee combat. Also, it restores not instantly (so its not to easily just strafe and shoot) though restoration time should different for weapons.

this feature should affect only 'long' weapons:

SVT, G41, G43, Mosin, K98k (all including sniper weapons) StG44, all machinegun when hipshoot, Panzerfaust
Should be allowed: all pistols.
Not sure about SMGs

This feature would prevent some issues:

Balances semi-auto rifles in close range combat (forced to use bayo instead of firing all magazine) - it will be more easy to stab them.
Make shorter weapons more useful in buildings, trenches ect, while long weapons - in mid-to-long
Bayo charges would be much more effective (that you can see in old soviet films about war :) )
Make pistols more valuable weapon in CRC

I would be satisfied with an instant kill on any bayo hit other than the lower arms/hands, and legs.

I've stabbed guys up to four times, starting with a fully powered strike as the first hit, and had them dancing around seemingly unharmed only to hip me. That shouldnt be possible... unless of course the Germans are being supplied chain mail and I wasnt notified.

Upvote 0
Definetely NO to the idea of being able to stab at point blank rage but not shoot. If they are so close you can't get your gun up to shoot them, then you definitely cannot stab them. I would be fine with long weapons auto-lowering when near an object then raising back up when clearing it. That would be realistic in that it benefits short guns in close quarters (yet it would actually make rifles with the bayonets attached less maneuverable due to the extra length, but that's realistic too).

Remember if you are playing to win and not just for giggles that the bayonet is not your primary weapon at any range, even with the bolt actions. Just shoot the guy if you want to kill him, bayonet him if you want a laugh or the challenge.

Upvote 0
Not complaining or anything, but last night I stabbed someone with a bayonet, and he turned around and hit me with the butt of his SMG which killed me instantly.

I'd still like to see some kind of disabling effect after being stabbed/beat. When things get that close it's really about whether you can reach him quick enough with the bayonet before he realises he can either shoot or stab back. And Russian SMG's are very unforgiving in a close range fight like that.

Upvote 0
unless of course the Germans are being supplied chain mail and I wasnt notified.

Not to nitpick or anything (which is what I'm doing actually...) but chainmail does not protect from piercing/thrusting damage. You see the blade will strike only a couple of rings and the rings will break and the knife plunges into the body. Chainmail does protect you from slashing attacks as the pressure and force of the blade is distributed between all of the rings.

Upvote 0
Bayo charges would be much more effective (that you can see in old soviet films about war :) )
Make pistols more valuable weapon in CRC

Old Soviet films about the war were transparent propaganda that did not reflect ANYTHING close to reality of combat or the reality of the strategic situation of the time, even to contemporaries. I wouldn't base anything on old Soviet war films.

Upvote 0
I think if they could code the guns with collision modelling. Plus something where only of the bullet comes out the barrel it will do damage. Correct me if I am wrong, currently all bullets come direct from the helmet tip. if the bullets do not do damage until the leave the equivelent of the barrel length of your gun then I think it would clear some of this mess with melee up.

Upvote 0