• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Gorlitz

FlashPanHunter

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
I'm still working on a Kolno update, but in the meantime I though I would share something else I've been working on on and off for a long time. The scenario takes place late war with Russians attacking with combined arms and germans defending, perhaps with at guns.

The map is partly inspired from Kharkov from the mod, in that it is a very large urban scenario with armor. One thing that I tried to do with the map is make it seem that the battle encompasses an entire city rather than just a small section, so the battle begins on the outskirts of the city and works its way though to an industrial sector and train yard on the other side of the city. As a result the map is quite large.

The map is linear to a degree, but there are many areas that have two or three separate approaches. There are also some building interiors but not a ton; I want the map to be mostly a street fight.

What you see so far is just the general design, there are still a couple of detail passes to do. The buildings are somewhat monotonous but hopefully will be less so once everything is detailed and there are shop signs, etc. There are also a couple of larger building which I didn't show because the vertex lighting isn't quite proper yet, but they also add a little more variation.

Any comments, suggestions, whatever, would be appreciated. I might actually be trying to test it soon, if anyone could help with that it would be great. I'll continue with some more stuff once I get the details all added in.

PS: A few wip things in here, like the canal water, just wanted to mention that. There are also shadows on the ground, I had them turned of accidentally when I took the pics.

I am going to waste the first response by not saying "you are using a stucco mix that wasn't invented until May 18, 1947" or "can you make the dust dustier? Or else i won't play it."

I will, however, say great! Thanks for another map!

and

I really, really loved that initial river crossing in Kharkov, if I'm remembering that map name correctly. It was possibly the best 5 seconds of immersion I've ever experienced in RO.

That is all.

Upvote 0
looks good..but the streets look very empty and unnatural especailly in war

I understand what you mean, but war is not a guarantee that every street looks like it has been nuked, sprayed with artillery or suffered a Katusya rain.
As with everything also war have a start ans a end. Let's say one makes a map situated at the start of battle. There might be a big chance most stuff is still intact.
And streets packed with stuff might look weird to. Normal street furniture is
a must but look at pictures and you will see many empty streets.

Upvote 0
looks good..but the streets look very empty and unnatural especailly in war

Empty because the map hasn't been detailed. Unnatural because of this or something else?

I'm not sure of the exact size of the map, but it's quite large. Lots of streets, two town squares, two bridge crossings, first a single bridge and at another point a pair of bridges (as shown in a screen shot) and a train yard at the end. I'll put together an overhead pic to show the layout, now that it's designed.

Because of the map size, there is some redundant art I know, but there is another building set which I hope will break it up a little bit. These are ones modeled more from specific buildings in the town. The others shown are representations of the general architechture I could find in pictures of Gorlitz (which tbh, is somewhat bland and uniform.)

No one has mentioned cover in the streets, but there will be a bit more added as the map is detailed. Not too much as the tanks need a path, but enough to promote some firefights and the like. I think I may also add some destructable barricades, maybe something like on the lenigrad map, perhaps only to open up alternate routes.

Upvote 0
I understand what you mean, but war is not a guarantee that every street looks like it has been nuked, sprayed with artillery or suffered a Katusya rain.
As with everything also war have a start ans a end. Let's say one makes a map situated at the start of battle. There might be a big chance most stuff is still intact.
And streets packed with stuff might look weird to. Normal street furniture is
a must but look at pictures and you will see many empty streets.

Yes, exactly, also, from what I have found, the city was not bombed and only was damaged a little by artillery and street fighting, which was brief.

Upvote 0
street layout and building arrangement looks totally natural, great work there. map seems quite huge for infantry though (im thinking not only of the time it takes to cross those distances, but also the necessarily low density of players in such a large environment).

just looking at it makes my mental framerate hurt :D i'll be interested to see what methods you use to optimize it.

looking forward to playing it, i am a big fan of your work and this seems like it will be a great one.

Upvote 0
Tbh i think its still a bit empty, this one in particularhttp://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g1vj8.jpg
Its not that the buildings are not bombed, its just there's little street furniture and stuff. It seems far to clean, even if there wasnt a war on.

dude, its WIP, he's already said he hasn't got around to putting in cover and street objects. that is usually one of the final phases of map development, so don't expect to see it until the map is close to release.

Upvote 0