• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Zhitomir1941 Beta 1

Awesome map :) .

I found one 'bug', or point in which you can get stuck... if approaching the main square area from the Germans spawn, walk to the right side apartments (starts with a 'K'). There is a blown out area of the building and some concrete rubble. If you stand right on top of this rubble you will find you are stuck. Check it out.

It took me a second to find the Basement capzone... if you are German go straight across the square and into the bottom right door of the Basement building... walk a few feet into this door and you are in the capzone.

Nice map Drecks, thanks

for you -
jackdaniels9qd.gif

Upvote 0
You also get into the capzone for the basement but running up the rubble from the park to the second floor, about 10 steps and you'll start capping there as well. So there's multiple ways to start capping the basement which is also accessible from the Kommosol apartments (Left side apartments).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the nice replies.

I was able to play the map tonight on different servers.
And there is no doubt and i'm fully aware it's a really really
though job for Axis to win this map. This could be caused by
various reasons.

On one occasions i seen half the Axis team proning somewhere or
running somewhere without heading for capzones.
As a mapper it's frustating to see players just prone and
try to kill some instead for heading for the capzone and try
to win a the battle.

Maybe this happens cause they didn't know the map or where lost.
On other occasions the Allied team set up a good defense in the
Krasnaya apartments. It might change when people get familiar
with the map and it's capzones.

In my believe the attacking team should have a harder job
to win a game. This doesn't mean i'm deaf to feedback which
will give the Axis team a better chance to win the map.

So suggestions are welcome.

Upvote 0
Drecks, do you think that players are instinctively drawn to landmarks that catch their eye?

I think that may come into play a bit, and that having a map that is too symmetrical and/or has few visually distinctive areas at its start might just make people end up thinking "I don't instantly get attracted to anything when I look around a few steps out of the spawn, so I'll just find some spot and snipe enemies." That might be too simplistic, but it's off the top of my head, and it might explain why new players tend to zone out when faced with capping different, but similar looking, buildings in the square.

Maybe they need to visually see the purpose to a cap before they will do anything about it. They would also need to immediately see why they have to cap Objective A before B, e.g. there's a lake/barbed wire/fire between me and B, which looks neat enough that I want to conquer it, so I understand that I have to go through A, and I'm willing to do it for the payoff of controlling B.

Upvote 0
Well a big problem is that the cap zones are pretty confusing I played it for the first time the other day and I was wondering how and where do I get to my capzone to defend it? I spent most of my time running around looking for frags. So they could be inherantly confusing or it just might be because it was my first time playing it. However, I believe a good map should be easy to pick up where to go next. For example even in the massive Berezina or Orel map it's fairly easy to figure out on your first try where you are suppose to go.

Upvote 0
Nah this map is super easy to cap stuff...one thing you need to do is open the map and the cap zones are MARKED CLEARLY as what to do next....im not gonna list them all off but just read the map its simple.

Exactly, use the overhead and not only does it tell you what to cap next but you can also see where the capzones are.

Here's the cap logic from the German perspective.

The first two objectives are the Kommosol Apartments and the Basement building. The Kommosol are left building once you are in the 1917 Monument Park. The Basement building is the center building at the back of the park.

These two objectives have to be capped to open the third objective (Krasnaja Apartments) which is the building on the right side of Monument Park. Once the first two objectives are capped they are disabled so no need to hang around there.

Once the Krasnaja Apartments are capped the Church Park is opened. You need to make sure you protect the Krasnaja because it can be recapped until the Church Park falls.

Once the Church Park is taken, the fifth and final objective is opened and the Krasnaja Apartments are disabled. If the Church Park is retaken by the Russians, the Warehouse will close and the Krasnaja will open back up.

Again all of this is easily seen by viewing the overhead map. Maybe it's just a play style but when I'm playing on a new map I'm looking at the overhead map constantly to know where to go. Plus it lets you know when an objective is falling.

Upvote 0
I love this map, great fighting in the main courtyard and apartments. The first time I played as axis and my team wandered around aimlessly while I headed straight for the caps, which were not to hard to find. I think before the basement is taken the allies should spawn a little farther back, as I was in the cap and the russians were literaly piling in. When I played allies the axis couldnt even get close to capping the basement even though they were pretty coordinated. Map also looks amazing, great scale that makes it feel realistic and gritty.

Upvote 0
Did you time the distances from spawns to cap areas for both teams Drecks ?

First impressions: great atmosphere.
This map has 1 big disadvantage: forces are scattered around the first 2 objectives so the map feels rather lonely. Lazur was better in that area: it channeled the players a bit more.
It will need many more play sessions before we can say anything about balancing. More visual cappoint / areas are not needed IMO: players will learn soon enough.

The 2 games I witnessed germans were not able to cap the 2nd caparea (basement). Capping them seems a real challenge. We made a mistake as germans: we didn't prevent the sovjets from taking the right side of the big square so when we rushed the basement we found ourselves always inside a crossfire.

My main advice: more channeling. It will make the map much more intens. You might want to consider to open up just 1 objective at a time. Just make sure it's large enough.

Monk.

Upvote 0
The wood stock MP41 is my favourite weapon in the game so it's great to be able to play a map where it's so useful ;)

As for the map, it's certainly one of the best I've played, though I do concur that it's an absolute bastard to cap the Basement when playing against a half-decent Russian team. The main issue, however, was silly team mates not moving up the map, which really hurts when the Russians swarm the Appartments. I don't believe you can do anything about that, other than scripting a mod to light a fire under their lazy asses, so basically, top map, good job, and all that other associated jazz!

Viktor, Thorpy, et al, I'll keep my eye out for you all so we can blow away some more Ruskies in the near future :D

Had about a 2 hour game on this beastie.

The first 2 rounds we were abysmal - our team just didnt grasp it too well.

Then came to next game

We took the left hand side apartments in minutes then slowly got into basement. After that the right hand side apartment fell in seconds - The church seemed to be the hardest part to cap - we were open to everyone.

Was a bloody meatfest in the church courtyard - Myself and a few players were avin a go over VOIP to get our men into the capzone, which they did :D We proceeded to cap it with minor castualties :rolleyes:

After the bloody church fight we soon took the warehouse area - the russians ran out of reinforcements :)

The following players in the screenshots were awesome - especially Duck for great tactics and AndyB for just mowing them down with the mp41.

I should really join a clan if this is tha gameplay ill expect :D

GREAT MAP!!

EDIT: If any of you players read this add my xfire - thorps

Upvote 0
The overhead is very clear and for a new map players should use that.
When one decide to play RO gor for the capzones it ain't Team Deathmatch :)

Best possible tweak will be in the Allies spawn distance for the basement
and the overall reinforcement time for Allies. A weapon tweak could help also.
When allies loose on of their MG's it might help.

I don't want to loose the recap possibility for the Krasnaya apartment.
I might just add another entance for Axis.

So for now i let this version sink in for a few days and wait for more
community feedback/input. So i 2th beta would have new tweaks.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I agree, you should leave the Krasnaya Apartments recappable. Keeps the Germans on their toes. This in addition to the multiple avenues of approach for objectives allows for tremendous flexibility in play as probably occurred in real life.

I find this latest version very balanced. Only a couple of minor textures of dirt popping up inside corners of buildings, and I still sometimes get confused on which way to exit the final Russian spawn without checking my map (maybe some '---->this way dummy' signs :D ). All VERY minor things.

AWESOME!!!!!

Upvote 0
Personally I think the map needs to be played for awhile before changes are made.

Comments about the Basement being too hard to cap has something to do with the average pubber not being bothered with capzones, I'm afraid. I say that because I had zero problems finding all of the capzones the first couple of times I played it (they arent hard to find).

At the risk of turning this into a 'you people dont understand the point of the game' rant, a map can hardly be determined as needing fixing if people dont even make attempts at capping the zones! Open your maps FFS... see the little arrow? Thats you. Point it in the direction of the nearest active capzone, and go straight for it... dont stop to have a side battle - GET IN THE CAPZONE SON!

Upvote 0
Anywhere from 48-64 is good for crouching. Keep in mind that the scale actor is not actually in iron sights like players are in-game. When you go into iron sights your character raises up slightly, which is not shown in the scale actor. Also keep in mind that a resting height of 48 will not keep the gun rested if the player looks upwards too much. So for ground level resting heights I would go with 64 so the weapon is still rested if the player moves the gun up to fire on some upper windows or whatever. :)

Upvote 0