• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

High ping when I have 2 computers behind router

Aysack

Jan 13, 2007
Hi!
I have got a problem when we are 2 computers trying to play RO . Both computers are behind a router.Router firmware are up to date.We get very high pings, like 998 every time on all servers we try. When I play alone I have no problems at all.We have legal copys with legal serialnumbers.The serialnumbers are different of course.Does anyone know of this problem??????

Yours

Aysack

Need more info matey, model of router, OS being used, specs of computers and is this a NEW problem or has something been changed recently that may have caused it. The more info you give, the better your chances of getting a solution.Reason I ask is that I have 2 computers behind router and have no probs whether both on RO or one on RO and another on COD2, MOHAA etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi!
The router is a Belkin,not wireless ,dont have the number here. Os Win XP Pro. 1 comp is a c2d 6300,7950 Gt,Gigabit card,1 gig memory.
2nd comp is a Athlon 64 3000+,6600 GT,Gigabit card,1 gig memory.
The problem only occours when we use Steam.We can play anything else together online, but not RO.

Upvote 0
Both computers are Windows XP/NT, I'm guessing? I've got two ideas:

Take a look at the Network Connections control panel, right-clic, properties, and see if they share any other protocols except for TCP/IP. They might be trying to communicate with IPX or NetBEUI, which would add a lot of internal traffic.

In the same place, there's a Quality of Service thingamabob that is installed by default on XP that actually decreases the quality of service for most folks, unless you're using a VOIP phone. Try removing that (you can always add it back in later).

Upvote 0
Hi again guys!
I have tried all of your tips,but it still not work.Could it be a clientport problem?
I know from STEAM forum that HL2 have similar problems.They suggest that u add a string like +clientport 270xx ,where xx is numbers like 05,06,07 and so on.I have tried to add different numbers on both computers but it didnt work.I cant find the clientport numbers used for RO anywhere.Have anyone heard about this???I am going nuts!!

Yours Aysack

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting because my g/f plays behind a wireless router which goes into a wired rounter that I play off of. We have no problems playing RO at the same time on the same server. Is it only RO related or is it other games too. The wireless router is a belkin and the wired is a netgear. The wireless is setup for WEP too.

Upvote 0