• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Computer Help

Sgt.Rock

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2006
Texas
Allright, heres the problem.

My sister got this new compaq from bestbuy a while back, and then through a mix of my brother looking at pron (hes 23, talk about dysfunctional) and my sister downloading those spongebob screensavers, the computers managed to rack up an impressive line up of adaware, spyware and viruses.

Ive tried using Compaq's disk recovery maker, but it basically doesnt want to go any farther than starting to write the disk. And since my parents got it from best-buy, they didnt give us the mother board cd or the windows install.

Any solutions? Can mobo drivers be downloaded of the internet? Can I do a complete wipe except for the windows install?

Help?

Also, talk about a racket with best-buy, having a conviently placed geek-squad thing. Luckily I custom built.

Nah, Ive tried all the usual stuff. It doesnt work most of the time ive ever tried those.

What I really need is a wipe all solution. I can't re-format the computer becuase they didnt give us a windows install disk. So I absolutely need to keep the windows install, I just need to be able to get the mother board re-installed, like some drivers off the internet or something. Everything else isnt important, so basically a re-format without wiping the windows install.

Upvote 0
Speaking of prevention...

I'm assuming that your brother and sister were surfing teh Internets on an Admin account. That's probably where your problem is. Make them Limited User accounts so they can't install anything, and that way you can regulate what is on your computer.

The good thing was it wasnt my computer. I keep a very close eye on mine, though Im able to reformat (I also have all my other install discs as well, so no virus could hurt me that bad).

Problem is, im the Computer guru at my house, so the problems been offloaded on to me, and since I really have nothing to work with, taking it up to bestbuy or buying a new windows OS seems like the only solutions. Ill probably end up buying the OS since best buy will probably charge the same amount and that way ill have a way to reformat if the need arises again.

Upvote 0
Follow this guy's procedure:

http://theflyingpenguin.com/spyware-removal.shtml

You'll have to turn off the System Restore to remove all the spyware. Much of the garbage I've encountered hides here and re-installs itself upon rebooting.

Good Luck. Be patient, you'll probably have to look up the remaining spyware not removed by the procedure above and delete them manually.

Upvote 0
Assuming you are willing to ditch windows I say install Linux on it and just show them how to open web browser etc (assuming they don't play games) and they can surf on any website they want without getting anythign worse then some tracking cookies.

But since I suspect that is not an option only advice I can give is Ad-aware if that doesn't work I am clueless on what to do without reinstalling.

Upvote 0