• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soviet SMG sounds

[Mad_Murdock]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
I tried searching but didnt find anything on the topic so i guess I have to bring it up.

I realize that its hard to cycle sounds at the fire rate of the Soviet SMGs, but I noticed that the firing noises of all soviet SMGs ingame are seriously like, "blurred at the edges", if you know what i mean. Theres no distinct start or end so when you fire its like a blurry string of gunshots just snaps into being somewhere in the middle of its length and then just gets cut off before its done, thats been my impression anyways. No such problems with the MP40/41 so its kinda disappointing. I was thinking, replace the sound with a shorter, more snappy stucatto(sp?) one so it actually sounds more like a gun firing than a game, plus, the PPSh sound, it, just, kinda, doesnt sound much like a gun at all, too high pitched and slurry. Discuss?

there are basically two systems that the game uses, loops and single shots. most of the automatics uses loops, while the mp40, stg44 and mp41 uses single shots that are played after each other. the engine doesnt in its support mapping of the sounds which means that in a loop the system doesnt know where the actual shots are in the sound, so the effect of this is that the sytem breaks the sound for its decay when you release the mouse button. its basically how every game in the industry has been doing for the past five- or so- years, but things are slowly starting to change.

Upvote 0
Wesll, i dont know much about coding but apparently what xancer is saying is right. I for one dont think that weapon sounds should ever be loops, not i RO anyways, because it just plain sounds bad and unrealistic.

One thing I have done is play around with the sounds for the aging game Vietcong, mixing it with some sounds from the Bratwurst soundpack for Forgotten Hope, and the result was needless to say something awesome.

If the sounds for the SMGs are indeed loops, this definately has to be done away with. The PPSh in vietcong has a fast ROF just like here, i doubt its the same 900RPM, but i had no problems with the sound being an individual shot rather than a horrible blurred loop.

so please, devs, if you have time between working on the patch, working on RO2, and chowing on cookies, please try to fix this up, would make for much greater realism and, well, atmosphere.

Not to mention fun.

Upvote 0
the thing is if you don't use loops but single bullets what is quite thesame as loops i'd say but then just 1 bullet looped instead of quite alot. Maybe it does always finisht those single bullets. the thing though with 1 bullet is that every shout sounds completely thesame atleast people did complain about certain guns with this. So basically not everybody can get happy, some hate the sudden inbetween stop of the loops some hate that every bullet for the single ones sound exactly thesame.

You can't have it all sadly :p

Upvote 0
So basically youre saying that ppl complained that every time they single shot a PPSh it sounded the same, and every time they burst it, every single shot sounds the same, well, not to be presumptuous, but shooting actual guns tells me that the same gun fired repeatedly would still make the same noise. And besides, the MP40 doesnt use loops and nobody has a problem with all the shots sounding the same. And speaking of same, when you single or burst the PPShs now no matter how many times, you still get the same loop, so it STILL sounds the same, personally i think that making them singles would, yeah, make them sound the same every shot(even though they already do) but hey, at least it would sound good.

Upvote 0
Wesll, i dont know much about coding but apparently what xancer is saying is right.
"Appearantly?" Xancer is making the sounds for this game, so I should think he knows what he's doing :p
And he has done a terrific job I might add. Kudos! Sound artists doesn't always get the recognition they deserve :)

Anyway, Vietcong's PPSh has a much lower ROF than the one in RO. That's the beauty of RO - it's the only game where ROF is almost 100% correct. Flashpoint isn't too bad, but RO is better I think. Vietcong is your typical arcadey shooter and has a way slower ROF on weapons, just like most other games like CoD, BF etc. They often have half the ROF and twice the damage on bullets to compensate.

You might want to get rid of the loops MadMurdoc, but so far it's been a technical issue and not all engines can cope with such high rates of fire, like the PPSh's 15 / sec. Like Xancer says:
its basically how every game in the industry has been doing for the past five- or so- years, but things are slowly starting to change.

Upvote 0
If ppshs rpm is challenge then the MG42 will be even harder to do bcause its sound feels bit rusty to. When I shoot it in short bursts the gun sound breaks between a shot and it feels very unpolished when I start a shot and end a shot it feels like the gun just suddenly stops and the sound does to. I hope I explaned well enuff :D

Upvote 0
there are basically two systems that the game uses, loops and single shots. most of the automatics uses loops, while the mp40, stg44 and mp41 uses single shots that are played after each other. the engine doesnt in its support mapping of the sounds which means that in a loop the system doesnt know where the actual shots are in the sound, so the effect of this is that the sytem breaks the sound for its decay when you release the mouse button. its basically how every game in the industry has been doing for the past five- or so- years, but things are slowly starting to change.

So I suppose you could say how the UE 3 sound system works :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yeah...

The PPSH feels strange when you use it in very short bursts. Especially when the recoil bug is operational. It feels like the gun is made of rubber (due to its firing movement from the Iron Sights) and shooting only one or two full bullets at the enemy at a time. We need individual sounds.

D: x 15

Upvote 0
Yeah...

The PPSH feels strange when you use it in very short bursts. Especially when the recoil bug is operational. It feels like the gun is made of rubber (due to its firing movement from the Iron Sights) and shooting only one or two full bullets at the enemy at a time. We need individual sounds.

D: x 15

900 sounds/minute = lots of cracking sound and don't forget the immense amount of CPU cycles it would require.

Upvote 0
First off, Xancer, sorry for not recognizing what you do right away, somehow i missed it, anyways, great job on the soundwork.

Here we go, if you are so worried about the cracking sound and CPU cycles, if someone can tell me how i can alter my files or make a mut to make them singles, i would gladly test it out with the sounds i have and get back to you on that. Thats not a bad idea actually if someone can help me out with this it would be great cause i really want to try it out.

Upvote 0
I think russian smgs are fine but MG42 just sounds wrong :(

RO has the best sounding MG42 in any game ever made. Of course I havent seen a game with a "real' MG42 other then RO. Gameplay first! Its true CODIII may sound a bit better then RO, and even look a lot better, but playing it is like watching a bad war movie. Hell, You know what kind of person COD is made for when it gives you a big arrow that helpfully points at incoming grenades.

Upvote 0