• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Sniping" with iron sights.

How far do you suppose this shot is? The Russian was walking down from the top of the bank and I hit him about 3/4 of the way down about where the tip of the arrow is. If you look carefully you can see his body slumped at the bottom (maybe 2-3 pixels of a darker colour). First shot.

And +1 for a slight zoom while ISing, dependent on barrel length. I noticed the mod used to darken out the edges to simulate tunnel vision whereas OST has a wide FOV at all times which is hardly realistic in itself. Needs to be ocular focus of some description.

Upvote 0
How far do you suppose this shot is? The Russian was walking down from the top of the bank and I hit him about 3/4 of the way down about where the tip of the arrow is. If you look carefully you can see his body slumped at the bottom (maybe 2-3 pixels of a darker colour). First shot.

And +1 for a slight zoom while ISing, dependent on barrel length. I noticed the mod used to darken out the edges to simulate tunnel vision whereas OST has a wide FOV at all times which is hardly realistic in itself. Needs to be ocular focus of some description.

In reallife do you suddenly get black around your eyes no. But the outside gets blurred yes because you don't stare at it.

Guess what happends when you focus ingame suddenly you can focus better on idividual pixels and the outside is blurred because your own eyes REAL focus. How more realistic can you get? Well 1 way see as zoomed in as you standard would in reallife so judging distances can be easy. Your distance although its not a clear view Flatland and no really visible enemy. But i'd guess around 100 meter.

Here's a fun thing to do. Grab a passer or whatever that device is called you draw circles with. Put it as close as possible to your eyes. Then put the feet of the device out of each other from your eye and sitting position till you get the width at the end of the points of the passer. Then measure the angle of the feet.

Go in practice mode open up the console with ~ type in Fov NUMBER
make the number angle you measured from the passer. Now what you can accuratly judge distances as good as you would normally :) for most people the angle will probably be around 40 or 50 degrees. (ingame the default is 85) it would be great if that angle would have been lowered to 70 to get some sort of a compromise for seeing broad and ability to judge distances and hit at far ranges.

Upvote 0
Telescopic sights of WWII vintage provide fairly low magnification, from 1.5x to 4x (maybe 6x, records disagree). That's only secondary to why they're more accurate, though. What they do that is such an advantage over iron sights is put both the crosshair and the target on the same focal plane. Both are in focus at the same time. Using iron sights (RL, that is) you have three distinct focal planes to deal with, the rear sight plane, the front sight plane and the target plane. Learning the proper way to sequence your focus to get the most accurate possible shot is the one thing that is hardest for a novice shooter to learn. Telescopic sights eliminate that particular issue.

Upvote 0
Decreasing the default field of view is definitely not the thing to do. Already you can sneek up on the flank of a row of enemy behind cover and stab them all to death one by one, without the guy a few feet to the side noticing. Decreasing the fov is just going to make that worse. The fish-eye effect has to stay until the day when we can all have truly immense monitors (or a vr type thing) to play our games with both peripheral vision and proper vision at distance.

Having a zoom function would be ok but only if it was seperate in some way from the button for iron sights. Two reasons for this: Players should not be forced to go into IS to see further. In reality raising your sights blocks some of your field of vision. Second reason is that I should not be forced to lose all of my peripheral vision if I want to clear a room with my gun raised. Just because you have the sights up doesn't mean you should be forced to have blinders on (except for what the sights and gun themselves actually obscure, of course). Ideally you would have options so that you could bind the zoom with the iron sight function however you saw fit.

Other concern about zoom in IS mode is that it could hurt RO's reputation as a realistic game because of it. Then again Op. Flashpoint had a seperate zoom type thing just like Zetsumei was describing and no one seemed to mind, so bring it on I guess. :)

Upvote 0
Decreasing the default field of view is definitely not the thing to do. Already you can sneek up on the flank of a row of enemy behind cover and stab them all to death one by one, without the guy a few feet to the side noticing. Decreasing the fov is just going to make that worse. The fish-eye effect has to stay until the day when we can all have truly immense monitors (or a vr type thing) to play our games with both peripheral vision and proper vision at distance.

Having a zoom function would be ok but only if it was seperate in some way from the button for iron sights. Two reasons for this: Players should not be forced to go into IS to see further. In reality raising your sights blocks some of your field of vision. Second reason is that I should not be forced to lose all of my peripheral vision if I want to clear a room with my gun raised. Just because you have the sights up doesn't mean you should be forced to have blinders on (except for what the sights and gun themselves actually obscure, of course). Ideally you would have options so that you could bind the zoom with the iron sight function however you saw fit.

Other concern about zoom in IS mode is that it could hurt RO's reputation as a realistic game because of it. Then again Op. Flashpoint had a seperate zoom type thing just like Zetsumei was describing and no one seemed to mind, so bring it on I guess. :)

The thing is to get realistic viewing you need about a 50 or 60 degree viewing distance for getting things showup with the correct size for the distance. But for getting the correct peripheral vison you need around 130 degree of fov.

The thing is your eyes never zoom you just got a focused bit and around it an earea where you can sense motion. If you make it only happen when in ironsight it will bring bad advantages because you must be in ironsight to be able to see enemies that can see you. While normally you would have already spotted them. So if any zoom will be added you must be able to hit the button whenever you want. But i personally like it best as it is. But with a bit less fov than we have atm. But better way to use sound to get situational awereness for getting your perpipheral "vision"

So you get a bit more than default fov for viewing correctly, and your ears for finding out whats more around you.

It would be great though if like in the mod you could change your FOV from the default a tad bit.

You gould make it a bit more or a bit less in the mod. So as smger you made it a bit more to get situational awereness. And as rifleman you made it a bit less to just get that little edge over the distance.

IF fov becomes changable (AND BINDABLE FOR INSERVER CHANGE) between 75 and 105 like in the mod it would be great. (default fov is 85)

Upvote 0
Basically you have to pick the lesser of the two evils. An iron-sight zoom is not realistic -- neither is the current fish-eye perspective. Personally, I find iron-sight zoom much more detrimental to my sense of immersion. At least the fish-eye is consistent and confers a substitute for the peripheral vision which can't be simulated on our monitors.

Perhaps on immense maps like Berezina you can make a case for the IS zoom, but on the majority of maps the fish-eye preserves the challenge of distance shots. In my books, challenge = fun.

I think a separate zoom option or FOV switch would just add an unecessary and confounding element to the gameplay. Why fix it, if it ain't broke?

Upvote 0

HAHAHAHA S.O.P i just saw that picture and noticed it h as me talking in it hahahahahha

Upvote 0
Basically you have to pick the lesser of the two evils. An iron-sight zoom is not realistic -- neither is the current fish-eye perspective. Personally, I find iron-sight zoom much more detrimental to my sense of immersion. At least the fish-eye is consistent and confers a substitute for the peripheral vision which can't be simulated on our monitors.

Perhaps on immense maps like Berezina you can make a case for the IS zoom, but on the majority of maps the fish-eye preserves the challenge of distance shots. In my books, challenge = fun.

I think a separate zoom option or FOV switch would just add an unecessary and confounding element to the gameplay. Why fix it, if it ain't broke?

I agree with you 100%, but if they make the ironsights come just a few inches closer to your eyes when in iron sight mode it would be a bit more realistic. Although it would cut down the periphial vision, it would give a sensation of tunnel vision that most people get when aiming with ironsights. (by tunnel vision I mean blurring around the edges of your sight picture.

Upvote 0
In reallife do you suddenly get black around your eyes no. But the outside gets blurred yes because you don't stare at it.

Guess what happends when you focus ingame suddenly you can focus better on idividual pixels and the outside is blurred because your own eyes REAL focus. How more realistic can you get? Well 1 way see as zoomed in as you standard would in reallife so judging distances can be easy. Your distance although its not a clear view Flatland and no really visible enemy. But i'd guess around 100 meter.

Here's a fun thing to do. Grab a passer or whatever that device is called you draw circles with. Put it as close as possible to your eyes. Then put the feet of the device out of each other from your eye and sitting position till you get the width at the end of the points of the passer. Then measure the angle of the feet.

Go in practice mode open up the console with ~ type in Fov NUMBER
make the number angle you measured from the passer. Now what you can accuratly judge distances as good as you would normally :) for most people the angle will probably be around 40 or 50 degrees. (ingame the default is 85) it would be great if that angle would have been lowered to 70 to get some sort of a compromise for seeing broad and ability to judge distances and hit at far ranges.

You have two eyes, not one. The field of views add up. A healthy vision has a FOV of around 160-170 degrees, sideways, less up and down. So to be more realistick they should increase fov. Hovewer on our monitors it would result in a heavily distorted view.

Upvote 0

That's what I was going to type, but this fine fellow already typed it for me (what with me being a high king and all and having people volunteer to type up my ideas for me and stuff).

>.>

It's a lesser of two evils thing, by far. What we need *short of holodec style virtual reality* is gently curved 180 degree monitors, damnit. Why hasn't someone made these yet!

Upvote 0