• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

Most people cant be arsed to sit in front of their computers for 3 months learning how to recompile their kernel just to install a desktop theme.

Yeah, you see and that's where most Linux distro's go wrong; why WOULD any sane person spend three months learning to recompile your kernel (whatever the heck that is) to set a theme when it can be done in just a few seconds (7:07 min)?

I mean, that just doesn't make any sense. Why do it the hard way when it can be done much easier? To feel "elite"? And then some Linux users say distros like Ubuntu (ie easier to use) is for noobs...:rolleyes:

True, neither do I, which is also part of the reason I'm still using IE with Windows.

You want the best software, but you use IE?:confused:

Upvote 0
Most people cant be arsed to sit in front of their computers for 3 months learning how to recompile their kernel just to install a desktop theme.

That is the thing that Ubuntu changes.

You can not say that Ubuntu is any harder to use or take months to learn (it takes months to master but minutes to learn).
It more or less installs itself, if you want to add a component that is not included in the basic install you click on a icon, find the component you want in a overviewable list click it and it downloads and installs itself (in this list everything that a avrage windows user would use is present).

As I said earlier you need to truly be an idiot to fail in using Ubuntu and it is much easier to use then windows.

In windows if you want to view i.e. movies using Xvid you need to go on the internet search for a site that offers you do download the codec and install it "manually".

In Ubuntu you open the components list type "codec" in the search field mark the package that contains video codecs and press "OK" and it downloads and installs itself.

In windows if you want to do some office work you need to go pay alot of money or the Office suite and install it.

In Ubuntu the equivalent is preinstalled when you install the OS (and uninstalling is just to go to the components list uncheck it and press "ok"). And there is no compability issues between MS Office and Open Office on a basic level I have worked on files and been switching them between the two (uni and home) and had no problems.

And the list of things goes on and on:
IRC client present in Ubuntu
MSN,ICQ,AIM and whatnot allready present in ubuntu.
BitTorrent allready present
DC client 3 clicks away
Firefox is the default web browser allready present
GIMP graphical editing tool simmilar to Photoshop (alltough a bit less powerful) allready present

Almost everything a normal user can think of is allready present or only a couple of clicks away in Ubuntu, and alot of the applications you have the option of several different clients (i.e, if you are not content with the default bittorrent client you can chose from a couple of other amongs them Azureus). Of course the problem is bigger if you need very specific programs (i.e. a specific CAD program etc) but most home user don't need this.

And the obvious thing is the lack of games and IMO the biggest thing holding the world back from switching to linux.

Also you don't have the windows type registry causing problems and I very rarely even use the page file in Linux it usually uses the RAM instead of doing like windows that start to page imediatly which leads to much smoother and faster usage.

Upvote 0
Funny thing, three finnish super market (one of them wasn't so big, small shops but in every town) are switching their cash registry things to work on Linux. They commented that Linux allows more free development, but they are gonna need some set standards too. They also mentioned that the support for linux is very good and you can get help for almost anything.

Upvote 0

I think some are getting a little paranoid over Vista. I tried the the beta 2 and everything I threw at it worked. I'm not going to run right out and buy it the day it comes out but eventually, when DX10 video cards are readily available, I'll probably get it.

As for the games explorer included in Vista, it's rather pointless. Most games start when you insert the CD/DVD or start from steam.

Upvote 0
I was exaggerating about the desktop theme. I agree Ubuntu is easy to use, i can navigate more quickly with GNOME than i can with explorer. But they will always be things which wont work without some serious effort such as MP3 players, certain modems and ADSL cards, wireless ect. Getting drivers to work is a pain but this is the fault of the hardware manufacturers (ATI anyone?). Windows sometimes requires a little fiddling too but most of the time just works. I am not trying to put Linux down, i can see peoples reasons for not liking it.

I mean, that just doesn't make any sense. Why do it the hard way when it can be done much easier? To feel "elite"? And then some Linux users say distros like Ubuntu (ie easier to use) is for noobs...:rolleyes:
The reason people make the effort is for maximum control over their computers. For people who really know what they are doing they can set their computers up in almost any possible way. Windows limits you to one thing, which Linux users dont like. Nothing wrong with using Windows, if you just want things to work and forget about it.

Upvote 0
You want the best software, but you use IE?:confused:
Primarily, I merely want ONE software for each task on my machine (if one thing can do it all, even better).
Since you cannot remove IE completely and savely (for instance, Steam relies on it), I'll just use it instead of installing just another browser.

I don't miss it under a non-MS OS, though.

Upvote 0
Windowsvistamarketing.jpg

Upvote 0
tl;dr, could you explain why Vista is so bad, Svedberg? I've read a thing or two about digital rights management and copy protection etc, but I still don't really "get it".

Question two: as you all know, Windows computers get slower and slower over time, no matter how "careful" you are with virus scanners, and spyware etc. The more you use your Windows PC, and the more you install (games, programs, applications etc) and download, the slower your PC will get. Does Linux also have this problem, or will it always remain as fast and stable as when you just installed it for the first time?

Question three: let's say you have three hard disks (or partitions, whatever) in your PC; one for Linux, one for Windows, and one for mp3's, downloads, and other miscelanious things. You install Linux and Windows as a dual boot. Is it possible for Windows to somehow "pollute" the Linux partition (as in, put files on it or something), and have an influence on the functionality of Linux?

I'm seriously considering stepping over to Linux permanently. However there are several things that prevent me from doing it; Photoshop (yes I know there is Gimp but it's radically different... and not an industry standard), and games. If Adobe offered all of their programs on Linux as well, and if the OS gets support from the "game industry" (God I hate that word), I'll be the first in line to switch to Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand is that companies in that case IBM say they support Linux, while they don't really support things like OpenGL that could really push Linux foward.
If making games for OpenGL was as easy or even easier than making them with the tools MS offers I guess more games would use OpenGL...

Btw. @Dcode mp3s don't work out of the box on most distros as mp3 is patented. Creators of programs that play MP3s have to pay for that.
Allthough there is a program that can play MP3s out of the box, legally as it relays on the realplayer.
On hardware drivers: If you buy a new PC you should make sure that everything works with Linux. That way you save a lot of time searching for howtos etc.

Upvote 0
tl;dr, could you explain why Vista is so bad, Svedberg? I've read a thing or two about digital rights management and copy protection etc, but I still don't really "get it".

DRM isn't bad as an idea. In my eyes DRM is bad in the ways that all companies have chosen to implement it. In the article I posted in my post before this describes another way of "bad" DRM implementation.
What I mean with "bad" DRM implementation is that in many cases the DRM itself inhibits my usage of legaly bought products (the rootkit from sony comes to mind). And why should I that bought a product legally have to discover that the CD can't be played in my DVD player (that I double as CD deck for my stereo) or in my car stereo (this is not releated to the root kit from sony that was a whole different kind of ****)? When I buy a song from a online store why should I be limited in how I use it (for my own personal use) and how many times I can move it copy it between drives?

Question two: as you all know, Windows computers get slower and slower over time, no matter how "careful" you are with virus scanners, and spyware etc. The more you use your Windows PC, and the more you install (games, programs, applications etc) and download, the slower your PC will get. Does Linux also have this problem, or will it always remain as fast and stable as when you just installed it for the first time?

Almost (philosophical awnser eh?) because unix based OSes does not use the windows type registry. There are servers with unix base OSes that have been running non-stop for years without reboot or crash.
All OSes will get slower over time if you don't maintain them. (my windows is running as fast as it did on install 3 years ago) the difference is how much time that is needed to be put into maintaining them to keep them up an running. Just the fact that Linux hardly ever uses your page file unless you run very memory intensive applications speeds up the entire handling of the system.

Question three: let's say you have three hard disks (or partitions, whatever) in your PC; one for Linux, one for Windows, and one for mp3's, downloads, and other miscelanious things. You install Linux and Windows as a dual boot. Is it possible for Windows to somehow "pollute" the Linux partition (as in, put files on it or something), and have an influence on the functionality of Linux?

No (or you maybe can if you "hack") but normal usage will not effect the linux install since windows can't read the file system linux uses.

Upvote 0