• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machine gun teams

Panzerkeil

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2006
I would like to see a new class: a machine gun "helper" : then you could deploy a machine gun with a team of two persons on an emplacement and the helper feeds ammo from boxes so you are not limited to the 50 cartridge ammo rounds now available when using a machine gun.

Can you think of a way for this class to actually make the MG better besides not having to reload as often?

The MG's certainly are not a full auto-feed me to increase my rate of fire-job in RO. Unless you're gonna slap it on a tripod, put a scope on it or make it harder for riflemen not to just pop off an MGer there really is no real use as the work that'd be required would vastly out weigh the benefits.

Upvote 0
You're taking about a "Gun 2" class, to the main MGer's "Gun 1" class.
The job of the "Gun 2" for the Bren Gun Group in the British Army used to include changing the mag, changing the barrel, helping with stoppages (can't remember who dealt with gas stoppages) and helping stop for targets. And taking over the Bren if / when the Gun 1 was hit.
Within RO:OST, the only relevent jobs are spotting and taking over the MG. And these can be and should already be carried out the other classes. The problem is that it isn't usually done on public servers.
I did once play Odessa where we ended up with 3 or 4 MG-42 defending the HQ. And we had the commander using his binos to help spot targets. It worked really and the weight of concentrated fire meant that no one got close.

Upvote 0
The only advantage to this would be that it might allow for heavy machineguns to be used -- tripod (or wheel) mounted MGs, all belt-fed for sustained fire. The thing is, the current MG42 would overheat pretty quickly, and the water-cooled russian Maxims would require a lot of setup.

I think you'd have better luck with someone developing a mod that allows for mappers to put stationary MGs that can sort of do this on their own (with two people manning) without requiring a dedicated class.

Wouldn't be much use as an offensive weapon, though -- that's why we have lighter weight DP-28s and box/drum-fed MG34/42s.

Upvote 0
Well, I would play this class because I'm lame and love support classes :p Heck I'd even play as an unarmed medic.

As long as while you help feed the belt to the MG'er you can also act as a spotter and have an animation where you can point out enemies the MG'er may not be able to see.

Upvote 0
If the MG wanted help all he needs is an ammo runner...

for example...

The one map I was playing Flak 88..... Some one was on the MG42 spewing out bullets left and right, as his ammo dwindled down.. I would run all the way down the hill to the ammo supply, get spare ammo and run back to him to resuplly... I did this back and fourth every few minutes.....

It was not only benefiting me by 5 points each time, but I was also helping him mow down those dirty reds..... and aiding his score..

All you need is teamwork! :D

Upvote 0
the only real way this could work is if the MG dude can do everything on his own, but he has a large penalty in stamina and speed ( can only sprint so far, sprints slower ) , changes barrels slower and reloads slower

however someone can spawn an assistant, and then logically attach himself to the MGer, meaning the MGer transfers all his spare ammunition and barrels to the assistant, which makes both soldiers able to sprint at the same rate.

now when the MG is deployed, the MGer will have a sphere around him that warns the assistant he's going to far away ( but doesn't stop him from doing so ) , while the assistant in in this sphere, he will be able to utilize his weapons as per normal

when the MGer reloads or changes barrels there will be a very obvious audio and visual cue , where by the assistant faces the MGer and presses the use key to assist the gunner to speed up the reload or barrel change process.

the assistant also gets .5 points from the MGer, and a few points ( 2 maybe ) for each assist.

relatively simple, an offline training mission would clarify most of this to the noobs

Upvote 0
I like the idea of an assistant machinegunner and I think it would be beneficial for the machinegunner with a dedicated assistant who is carrying more ammo than the common rifleman and perhaps spare barrels in the case of the german side. Also the assist. gunner's job should also be to provide close in security for the machinegunner as well as spotting targets.
To encourage co-operation between the gunner and the assistant gunner the assist. gunner should also be awarded the 1 point per kill that the machinegunner gets for killing the enemy while he is assisting - that is when he is within a certain distance of the gunner.

Upvote 0