• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design tHE rOAD TO OREL FINAL MAP THREAD BY THE AUTHOR

Wow those new screens look fantastic! That was one of my gripes with Orel, it didn't look that nice, a silly gripe but one that doesn't seem to matter any more if those screens are any indication!

Also as someone mentioned before, you really should look at/revise the Russian and German tank spawn time. Many times I have respawned at my teams original spawn area and there are like 8 other people there just wandering around with nothing to do except shoot into the air or call arty.:rolleyes:

Combined with the long time it takes to get into combat on this map (which is not really a problem, I don't mind), this waiting around for a couple of minutes for at least one tank to spawn (which will be taken before you can get to it) can lead to disconnecting from the server very quickly.

Ideally tanks should respawn as soon as they are destroyed, its not as if this would unbalance things too much and may even encourage more teamplay as people would leave the spawn in tank groups. (hopefully!)

Upvote 0
Wow those new screens look fantastic! That was one of my gripes with Orel, it didn't look that nice, a silly gripe but one that doesn't seem to matter any more if those screens are any indication!

Also as someone mentioned before, you really should look at/revise the Russian and German tank spawn time. Many times I have respawned at my teams original spawn area and there are like 8 other people there just wandering around with nothing to do except shoot into the air or call arty.:rolleyes:

Combined with the long time it takes to get into combat on this map (which is not really a problem, I don't mind), this waiting around for a couple of minutes for at least one tank to spawn (which will be taken before you can get to it) can lead to disconnecting from the server very quickly.

Ideally tanks should respawn as soon as they are destroyed, its not as if this would unbalance things too much and may even encourage more teamplay as people would leave the spawn in tank groups. (hopefully!)

Yeah I agree, tanks need to spawn immediately.

Nice going on those screenies! So will this finally be the final version? ;)

Upvote 0
Slashbot I'm not sure if you are aware of this but if you place tank factories too close to one another they will fail to spawn tanks until one tank moves out of the others "spawn space". Or if you have player spawns (or players that move into tank spawn areas they will fail to spawn until the person leaves. So you might want to place tank spawn factories a minimum of 150 units space in between them to avoid that. I learned this phenomenon on my tank test range map I made.

Upvote 0
Very nice, but that church... I doesn't feel like orthodox church at all: not from the outside, not from the inside. It's has 100% catholic look.
I know you did a huge work Slashbot, so I don't ask you to rebuild it - no, leave it as it now, it was just a little nitpick. :)
But all in all - I just can't wait to try it. Good job.
well dont worry Bolt we can still prey :p:D

Upvote 0
Wow, cool. Looks alot more polished. Orel....now with Church! I like how the bridges are enclosed. That should reduce tanks spontaneously bridge jumping into the river.
yes the Orel Bridges were well known for bananas the tank will slip and go over the top :p not any more i cant wait to get this map on FKR server

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very nice, but that church... I doesn't feel like orthodox church at all: not from the outside, not from the inside. It's has 100% catholic look.
I know you did a huge work Slashbot, so I don't ask you to rebuild it - no, leave it as it now, it was just a little nitpick. :)
I have my old Orthodox church I made for my now extinct Brest Fortress map. It still needs some work to be 100% finished but it defo looks "Orthodox" (based on actual Orthodox church photos)

Upvote 0
The church thing..

well I was going to have a largeish (30-40 buildings) town at the north bridge and south lakes, the south lake was to have an orthodox church for the russians, the north bridge a more byzantine looking one with a catholic church in tthe middle. But by the time I had made enough statics and built the north and south towns(which were supposed to be for city tank fighting) it looked good but got about 2 FPS. Also the road pathnode would built and the editor would hang for about 4 hours and crash. I gave up and deleted the towns. Hence no orthodox church.

I'll tweak the tank spawns to spawn immediately, except for the panther and maybe tiger.

As for release date, well a beta 2 is in the pipeline for this week. It wont have a proper water shader, or startup preview shots or a proper overhead map but should be complete except for these. Im looking at uploading it to a 24/7test server that a particular person has offered (Thanks once again) this week so its due for some serious balance testing.

Upvote 0
The church thing..

well I was going to have a largeish (30-40 buildings) town at the north bridge and south lakes, the south lake was to have an orthodox church for the russians, the north bridge a more byzantine looking one with a catholic church in tthe middle. But by the time I had made enough statics and built the north and south towns(which were supposed to be for city tank fighting) it looked good but got about 2 FPS. Also the road pathnode would built and the editor would hang for about 4 hours and crash. I gave up and deleted the towns. Hence no orthodox church.

I'll tweak the tank spawns to spawn immediately, except for the panther and maybe tiger.

As for release date, well a beta 2 is in the pipeline for this week. It wont have a proper water shader, or startup preview shots or a proper overhead map but should be complete except for these. Im looking at uploading it to a 24/7test server that a particular person has offered (Thanks once again) this week so its due for some serious balance testing.
did you put the panzer 4H on it

Upvote 0