• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small tank suggestion with big impact

kapulA said:
Well,german language SAYS the command and its written in english for the tankers(ONLY tankers in that tank) that dont speak german/russian

Exactly. Much better than having some whiney brat on a pub server talk in english with me. Those who've been on CORE yesterday know who I mean.

Aside of that, it would just be an extension of the current "pre-made" com interface (which is ALL said in german/russian with english subtitles) and it would require only one key press. So it's damn quick, damn efficient, understandable for english speakers, and sounds authentic too without the need for anyone to configure a microphone.

Upvote 0
Think this is a good idea given my experiences so far on RO. What I mean is that in some countries (mine) other crew members will use the IC to simply say something quick to indicate i.e. target, 2 o'clock, (far, middle or near). Couple of things here: when using IC crew must keep it very short so as to not interfere with traffic, use of far middle or near is in relation to tank to horizon then breaking it into thirds. Clock ray method is based on front centre of hull. I think a default key set up linked to where the member is looking is a simple and effective means for gaming if possible. I think most serious gamers would agree that if all in a tank are mature talking works well and is the most realistic.

Upvote 0
Like I wrote in another thread, I generally don't care too much for voice coms. I don't want to hear youngish-sounding english speaking kids in my german WW2 tank. Aside of the fact that few people on Pups bother to setup voice themself, but most realize how to use key-bound default coms.

And a good default sample of german or russian "tank at 11 o'clock, 300 meters" will be much more immersive, especially for someone speaking german.

Come on Helmut... that is the exception, not the rule. On most of the Servers I've visited RO-VOIP was successfully in use.

At
rgn_27.png
we'd be lost without RO-VOIP. I don't mind hearing a younger voice, an accent, southern, european or, even working with someone with broken, hard to understand, english, americanese or whatever. After all, aren't we are all here to enjoy the game? ;)

Upvote 0
This is a great idea.

I am however for pressing 2 keys. The reasons:
> If it has to be fast, you don't want to give a range, for example if a tank just rolls from behind a building to your left, 50m away...
> You need keys 1-3 to move in a tank, so i think they should only be unlocked for communication once the "spot tank"-key was pressed.

The idea is really great and would improve tank combat and teamwork enormously.

About VOIP:
Sometimes it's usefull (when a good commander gives orders), but most of the time you hear a 12 year old cry annoying **** :(

Upvote 0
I came up with this a while ago but don't think I've ever posted it.

Can we make it so that the driver has a key, which when pressed, generates a vehicle voice message "target at XX O' clock", clock position depending on where the driver looks while pressing that key?

Right now, it is a major pain in the butt to tell your gunner when you happen to see a threat before him. text chat is slow, and few public players ever are on voice (and I dislike voice chat for other reasons anyway).

With my suggestion, you just need to poll the game on where the driver is looking and then release a pre-recorded voice message with the correct clock position. It won't be a magical enemy-finding radar either, because it depends on the driver himself to look into the right direction.

Alternativley:

The numpad keys right now default to "forward; right; left; reverse" voice commands when you're in a tank. That is usefull for the commander, but for the driver it would be better to have the "target left/ahead/right etc." commands on the same keys.

Super Bonus:

How about a few quick keys (like the numericals above the letters) to shout out an estimated DISTANCE to an enemy tank? German practice as per the manual was for every crew member to give a distance estimation on a target, which the commander would then average and command to the gunner. It can really help with target estimation, and besides that it would offer use to say "enemy tank 12 O'clock, 700 meters" with two key presses.

Inter-Vehicular communication really is important, and right now the default com menu is too large and cumbersome to navigate.

Use voice, don't get in a tank without voice with the person co-driving it with you.
A key to designate a target is the same as all the other in game sounds you hear and you'd never know it was from yours or someone elses tank. Typing is hard to read sometimes and distracting from the fight.
Just find a good server where the majority are using voice in a productive way, the level of that teamwork will outdo any typing or frustration with bad voice servers. It's so much more effective it's actually frustrating when you come across the odd player who won't use their voice.

Upvote 0
This seems to be a fine idea. It need refining though.

At
rgn_27.png
we'd be lost without RO-VOIP. I don't mind hearing a younger voice, an accent, southern, european or, even working with someone with broken, hard to understand, english, americanese or whatever. After all, aren't we are all here to enjoy the game? ;)

Sometimes the VOIP is the very thing that entertains you. I remember a guy in Berezina who sounded like Pavel Chekov.

Upvote 0
i'm not sure this idea is quite as simple as it sounds- but im not saying it's a bad one. I think the commander should have this ability if anyone.
But I find pressing u + 11 or the keybind enemy ahead/left/right quick enough when i'm driving. If you are commanding you could bind in the cfg keys 1 to 0 and - /= to represent the clock (set input 2 | vsay "target 2 o'clock!" or whatever it is) so you could alert the driver how to position i guess. If you really wanted.

At a risk of repeating something im sure has been said many times before- a vehicle only voip channel is needed.
I might even get a new mic then (My USB one doesn't seem to work- is this the norm?)

Upvote 0
It wouldn't hurt the 'immersion factor' if players took the time to learn a few basic commands in various languages; even if Joe Boudreau calls out "Panzer- Vorwart!" in a New Orleans Creole accent it's okay. If you can understand those same commands when a native speaker calls them out, so much the better.

While this would help, the problem of having so many players from different countries will still remain- I know when I've greeted Russian or German players in their native language I have to immediately backtrack and make it plain that I'm not a fluent- or even skilled- speaker of that particular language; for me it's just something I picked up along the way in my military travels. Not having a 'common language' will always be a stumbling block for some players.

One possible solution is for players to gravitate into their own small 'battle groups' bound by a common language, but with at least one person able to effectively communicate with the other 'battle groups' on the field. This is already done to a certain extent, of course.

Regardless of the language spoken, I am a resolute believer in using VOIP- either the in-game funtion or TeamSpeak/Vent; without communication you are as good as dead when you dont' know about those three T-34's just on the other side of that rise. Most people, even if they don't exactly speak your personal language, can still make themselves understood in one way or another- even if it's to shoot over your head in the direction of the enemy!

For vehicle crews, having voice comm capability is a necessity; in the 503rd I require every crewmember to have and use VOIP in every case whether you speak German/Russian/Croatian/Eskimo or not! If a driver can't talk to the TC, or vice versa, that tank is as good as smoking already- and if you can't call out enemy positions to other tanks you're putting them at risk as well.

Upvote 0
ok here be ze important info , what will make or break this tank insead of something like the jagdpanther.

hertzer production notes: 2584 http://www.tarrif.net/ -(go there for more info including gun pen notes)

jagdpanther prodcution notes:392 http://www.tarrif.net/ -(once again the goodies and info)
jagdpanzer iv/70(V): 930 http://www.tarrif.net/
jagdpanzer iv/48:769 http://www.tarrif.net/
jagdpanzer iv/70(a):278 http://www.tarrif.net/

as you can see by the numbers, either a hertzer or the laterjagdpanzer iv/48 or iv/70 would make much more sence then some ofthe other versions there with less numbers. sadley that also means a jagdpanther could be left out as it wasent made in big numbers. however all of these tanks are dwarfed by the 7700 stug 3 g's made.

Upvote 0