• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that being A Good Thing, certainly- but can the RO game engine handle it?

As an aside, medics are generally supposed to stay out of the shooting action- so are we saying that basically the more hits their side takes the better for them as healing those wounds should be their primary source of points in-game?

Also (and I know this is getting into the nit-picky zone) how many 'wounds' can a medic heal before he's out of bandaids- his 'ammo'- and has to resupply? Can he heal himself?

Unfortunately, in order to even HAVE medics in the first place there must be a more realistic 'wounding effect' in the game which we presently lack. As it stands, the status quo is pretty much one hit=death.

(And again this gets into server load- always with the servers!; in order to 'track' who's wounded and who's not is going to be a bear to manage, as well as who is 'walking wounded' and who is alive but immobilized. Ivan could certainly be healed to the point where he's alive, but if he was hit in both legs multiple times he's going to be laying there until...when? Until RO stretcher bearers arrive to haul him back to the spawn point/field hospital?)

Of course, you could always go for the DF: Blackhawk Down system and just make it so that a medic runs up and 'fires' a medic pack at Otto within X seconds and voila! he's back to 100%- but then you have the 'realism' mavens on you for 'loss of immersion'. (As a tactical note from my BHD days- the drill on some maps was to have max medics on the team- they can still carry guns after all- so that a 'medic train' could be maintained at the front line, with everybody healing everybody else and keping them on the line. In order to stop this sort of unrealistic stuff, RO medics would definitely have to be sharply limited- in a half-platoon of 16 men, maybe ONE of them would be a medic...)

It would be cool, though, to have bot field ambulances or stretcher bearers to pick up wounded players- with points deducted from players who shoot the bot medics- and return them to the spawn point/field hospital...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to the realism/history buffs on the forum (not sarcasm D: ), in the Ostfront one of two (or both) things happened:

1. Medics were shot on sight, often hailed as a big target, regardless of them being associated with the Red Cross or not. As a result they don't get on the battlefield.

2. If you got shot, the best that could be done was your buddies would drag your half dead ass over to a relief station. Well, if you survived :p

I like medics, but I can't see it being implemented in Ostfront.

Btw, please search for threads first, this has been suggested about 10 times or more over the years. :eek:

Upvote 0
search.jpg

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5432

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.