• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mad_Murdock]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
Anyways, I was putting together a 1:72 Pz.IVH today and it came with a cupola mounted MG for a guy to sit in the turret and use, you know what i'm talking about right?

Well, I was just wondering, i'm pretty sure those weren't used on the Eastern Front, were they? Because I've only seen them in the West Front photographs(and I'd guess because of the amount of lead flying both ways on an Ostfront battlefield compared to the french villages of the western, it would probably be a retarded idea). If they were used it'd be pretty cool in RO. I just want some feedback on this.

Cupola MG's will be a great addition, but sadly one that would probably not be used very much. Infantry in RO is getting better at picking off exposed AFV crewmembers, and until ground-pounders and tankers get better at cooperating it's only going to get worse.

The most presently-desirable cupola MG would probably one to be mounted on a StuGIII- they are sadly lacking in even basic defense against infantry, and they are supposed to be THE infantry support vehicle!

Upvote 0
1.Those cupola Mg's were used as anti-aircraft machine guns sadly Ro does not have aircraft so there would be no real use for them.
2.The Germans used them but not early on since the Luftwaffe kept the Soviet airforce well suppressed until 1943.

so far i know they never been really any harm to enemy air craft. But i could be wrong, have read that they had not enough accuracy and stoping power to be a real harm for most air crafts, since most guns have a much larger caliber then cupola Mgs

Upvote 0
I know that the the MG-42 and 34 were used as effective anti-aircraft machine guns. Both were even equipped with various AA role attachements:
The MG-42, while being produced primarily to supply infantry, was used in an anti-aircraft role, though less frequently than the MG-34, which was also primarily used in vehicles as well. Railroad yards, airstrips, and other vital areas from were susceptible from attack by aircraft, and occasionally the MG-42 was used alongside other larger anti-aircraft guns.
mg34-aa-tripod2.jpg
mg34-aa-tripod.jpg

Every MG-42 has a light, folding bipod from which it could be fired in Light machinegun role. It also could be used from earlier infantry and Anti-Aircraft tripods, designed for MG-34. It was issued mostly to infantry and was rarely seen on the vehicles or tanks, because the MG-34, with its ambidextrous feed capabilities and straight-backward barrel withdrawal, was more suited for tank mountings. There also was less dirt inside the tanks than in front trenches, so MG-34 worked quite well in this role, while MG-42's unsurpassed reliability ruled the battlefields.

The MG-34 and 42 were quite accurate there are accounts that the German High command were unhappy with its accuracy and wanted more spread to supress larger areas. On a tripod or a fixed postion both guns were accurate up to about 1000 meters.
The aircraft MG-15/17 had the same caliber as the MG-34/42 and it performed very effectively towards any enemy aircraft.
Remember that both the MG-34 and 42 were "universal" weapons and could be and were employed in most roles.

Upvote 0