• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RAM - Should I Get More?

sharpshooterklj

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006
Alright, I already have a gig of RAM. If I were to get another gig, what exactly would it do? Does having more RAM help your loading times and framerates, and if so, how much? I was just wondering because a 1 gig stick of RAM costs about a hundred bucks; money that could go towards a new video card.

Higher fps? No not really, however if a game wants more ram than u have, you could experience choppy fps in some areas. But in RO for example, more RAM does not mean higher fps if you have a gig already. It depends on the game.

Loading times will generally get shorter all over your system (what I have experienced going from 1 to 2 gig).

Upvote 0
No noticeable difference.

No noticeable difference.

I went from 1GB to 2GB last month, and although I haven't actually done any benchmarking before and after, I really haven't noticed much difference.

One difference I did notice in RO, however, is that my virtual memory pagefile thrashes itself for a much shorter time after I close RO. This might be a function of more RAM, so I don't consider it a total waste of money.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Going from 1gb ram to 2 made a massive difference in loading time for me- so you'l have more chance grabbing semi-auto or squad leader positions i guess.
However with a 3200XP / 2bg ram / 6800GT I can't tell you the true affect ram increase has on FPS. I get 25-45, regardless of resolution, setting or Ram, even when i ran a 6600 vanilla for a while it was about the same, suggesting my CPU is the bottleneck.
What rig do you have? List your specs and ppl can advise you better on upgrades.
What other games/programs do you play/run?

Upvote 0
I had
1x512ddr333 and 1x512ddr400 (both cheep)

On an AthlonXP3000+ (that runs on 333Mhz)

I added an extra 512ddr333 (also cheep)

It does the job.

So

Map loading is a little faster.
I do manage to get there in time for fairly decent classes.

FPS is no different.

Adding ram will give you faster loading and overall system performance when having lots of "Crap" running everywere. (Steam, word, excel, media player, bittorrent, the little spyware you have...

Its always the cheepest way to get more out of you're pc So I would always recommend it.

If I can ask a question...
Would I be better off with removing the 512ddr333 and slightly overclocking the CPU.
My cpu fan is already a quality performance fan.

I do think that it would help my FPS considering my 6600GT is barely running to its potential.

Upvote 0