• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Random question about the .30 cal

Ska Wars

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
England
But how does it actually fire? Sorry for the random question but it's been bugging me for ages and I cant see to find a straight answer anywhere.

borwning30cal2ep8.jpg

I'm assuming thats the trigger? If so how the hell does that work lol Do you pull it up or does it come out or something. If anyone knows please just put me out of my sodding misery :p

Isn't it something to do with the pistol grip modificaton having to be like that to work, like doesn't the original browning .30 have the double grips and thumb trigger like a lot of other HMG's of it's day?

Funny in regards to firing it off hand, I have seen a video of a Browning M1919A6 being used from the hip by some guy in one of the African wars, he had it slung so that is body was supporting most of the weight and was holding it with his left hand at the base of the cooling sheet over the barrel and his right on the pistol grip. I was suprised how well he was controlling it, he literally cut a grass hut to pieces with a few sweeps of it!

Also read an interview with a Ranger from WW2 who said that sort of use of the Browning was quite common!

Upvote 0
Isn't it something to do with the pistol grip modificaton having to be like that to work, like doesn't the original browning .30 have the double grips and thumb trigger like a lot of other HMG's of it's day?

Funny in regards to firing it off hand, I have seen a video of a Browning M1919A6 being used from the hip by some guy in one of the African wars, he had it slung so that is body was supporting most of the weight and was holding it with his left hand at the base of the cooling sheet over the barrel and his right on the pistol grip. I was suprised how well he was controlling it, he literally cut a grass hut to pieces with a few sweeps of it!

Also read an interview with a Ranger from WW2 who said that sort of use of the Browning was quite common!
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiib1.htm

Tony Stein had a friend who made 6 "ANM2 Stingers", modified aircraft .30 cal Browning with a ROF of 1200-1350 rmp. :eek::cool:

From, http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiib1.htm

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. Born: 30 September 1921, Dayton, Ohio. Accredited to: Ohio. citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Islands, 19 February 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Cpl. Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position. When his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machinegun and mortar barrage, he gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes 1 by 1 and succeeded in killing 20 of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements and ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of 8 trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Cpl. Stein, by his aggressive initiative sound judgment, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Upvote 0

Yeah it's from Africa Addio. Good documentary although very much slanted towards the whites point of view. Some very disturbing scenes in that film :(

Upvote 0
Tony Stein had a friend who made 6 "ANM2 Stingers", modified aircraft .30 cal Browning with a ROF of 1200-1350 rmp. :eek::cool:

From, http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiib1.htm

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. Born: 30 September 1921, Dayton, Ohio. Accredited to: Ohio. citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Islands, 19 February 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Cpl. Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position. When his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machinegun and mortar barrage, he gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes 1 by 1 and succeeded in killing 20 of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements and ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of 8 trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Cpl. Stein, by his aggressive initiative sound judgment, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.
I saw that on the History Channel a few weeks ago. Very cool stuff.

Upvote 0
I shot it on a tripod and serioulsy, it ****ed.

Yep, I've shot a semi-auto civilian version on tripod, and noticed a couple things.

(Oh, SoupNazi shot 'em, too.)

A: The sights are crap. Short-ass sight radius, and small notch and blade. The sights are worse than on my Vz52 pistol... with only a slightly longer sight radius.

B: Trigger's not comfy at all. Kind of a long reach to get at it, and the pull up is wierd. I didn't get to try the spade-equipped variant that was next to it, but that one looked better.

It was fun, but it wasn't what I'd call "a good weapon."

Dr. Venkman... you had a chance to try 'em out... if only you'd got off your lazy butt for the Day After Thanksgiving Shoot-n-Que! :p

Upvote 0
Yep, I've shot a semi-auto civilian version on tripod, and noticed a couple things.

(Oh, SoupNazi shot 'em, too.)

A: The sights are crap. Short-ass sight radius, and small notch and blade. The sights are worse than on my Vz52 pistol... with only a slightly longer sight radius.

B: Trigger's not comfy at all. Kind of a long reach to get at it, and the pull up is wierd. I didn't get to try the spade-equipped variant that was next to it, but that one looked better.

It was fun, but it wasn't what I'd call "a good weapon."

Dr. Venkman... you had a chance to try 'em out... if only you'd got off your lazy butt for the Day After Thanksgiving Shoot-n-Que! :p

Well, M. Sage, if you didn't like the "Crappy sights", you should've used the Aimpoint sight Lynch had mounted on top of it! I did get a chance to blast the spade grips and they are definately more comfortable to use. Damnit, why didn't the Stukas fly in today?:D

I think we had all the range officers in awe after they got to look and even squeeze a couple of orunds out of them, and bowing to our feet once they tasted the barbeque.

Upvote 0
What BL said. I know the old M2 (pre-HB model) had spade grips.

@ Soup: Oh, man... the barbecue! I still don't have my grill cleaned out!! I have NEVER seen that much food disappear in that short amount of time!

Guys, we cooked up about 7 lbs of tri-tip, and it was GONE as fast as it could be sliced!! And being gun nuts, we had some nice, sharp knives there for the slicing!

Oh, yeah. On a personal note, my grandfather who fought in WWII qualified as an Expert on both the 1919 and M2.... and SMG AND pistol!

Upvote 0