• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Arad is my trouble -

kartasik

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
I sent this to one of the viewers. I've come to realize all my complaints center mainly on Arad. And this is why:

[FONT=&quot]"I've been complaining too much on this Red Orc site, and really about just two levels: Arad, and the Reichstag maps. I've been thinking it over and realize that most players play ok in tanks in levels like Orel or Blackdayjuly. I think the trouble is the stock games, especially Arad, are not very realistic because of their size. The maps are very small for the number of tanks thrown together. In Arad one tank can drive to all 4 objectives in less than 2 minutes or so. It also has a super abundance of panzerfausts (once players learn where panzerfausts spawn). The Russian side also has a very slight advantage in better cover (a slight ditch) to reach its first field objective (North Field) and much better cover to reach its first village (North Village). All of this combined makes it possible for the Russian side (if even half way led) to win the game too quickly. This means for the Germans to win they must be highly aggressive, and this is likely why I have been complaining so much about the German side in Arad. What they don't realize (unless they are old timers) is that in Arad they need to shift gears. Arad is not Orel. Its in Arad where the unrealistic nature of the Clown cars/panzerfausts/vehicle-entry-and -exit-times all come together to show the weakness of the game. In Blackdayjuly one can indeed PLAY tank war. But in Arad - because of the coming together of so many unreal factors - such as the villages - players have to shift gears in to 'I am playing a silly game' mode.

The villages are part of the trouble cause in real life these villages would be acting like some sort of super-high-tech fortress! Cannon proof walls, buildings that machineguns can't puncture - buildings that don't burn. Even stone houses burn in real life. So in truth these villages are more like metal structures set up as a complex fortresses.

In Orel or Blackday the villages are not part of the objectives or are open enough that one infantry man can't hold them very well against tanks (also no panzerfausts in Orel).

And that brings up the basic trouble about Red Orc. The objectives are 'Unreal Tournament' objectives. In real life the moment you drive into an empty village you capture it - there is no blinking light on a map you have to wait for. All of these silly game qualities become concentrated in Arad and to a lesser degree in the other stock maps.

Thus, in larger non-stock maps, with more realistic time frames, players actually can play more true to life. They can play like historical tanks. But in Arad - they have to play like its just a GAME if they want to win."[/FONT]

Last edited:
True. Arad is, I think, not a fair benchmark for the quality of the game. Arad is (in my opinion) one of the worst maps of the stock maps. Bondarevo is a far better tank map from the initial offering.

Arad is essentially little more than a shooting gallery. It allows for very little by way of maneuvering, and it's short range. Even though you CAN engage the enemy at +750m, most of your engagements are anywhere from 600-400m, and sometimes even closer than that.

RO's quirkyness starts to show up more in close ranges when dealing with tank combat, too. Honestly, I think Black Day and even the unfinished Orel map is a much better representation of what RO can do as far as tank combat. Arad is, as you pointed out, just a sort of gamey, fun, fast-paced action-fest. It's not realistic or "sim-level" combat by any stretch of the imagination. And that's ok, I just don't think people should judge RO based on that.

Upvote 0
There are many versions of Arad that tweak various aspects of the Map. Some are simply more Tanks others change what Tanks are spawned, the size of the Map, and yet another has made the river unpassable except by crossing the 2 Bridges in the Map.

I agree that a well organized Soviet Team can win Arad easily, in fact I've seen them win in approx 2 minutes from the start of the round. However, the Germans can also win, they just need to be more Defensive to begin with, whereas the Russians need to be more Offensive.

The Germans need to Defend South Field first. After the Russian intial Offense on South Field, if the Germans stall the Offense and are able to get the good Defensive spots In and Beyond(from German Spawn) the South Field Capture Zone, then only 3 or 4 German Tanks are needed to continue Defending it. With thos good spots the Russians are now very vulnerable to advancing on South Field. If you fail to Defend South Field and it falls to the Russians, it becomes a struggle just to leave the Spawn.

Secondly, once the South Field Defense is in place, the German Tanks(other than those Holding South Field) need to go on the Offense in North Field. Even with a good amount of Russians Defending North Field, IMO, it seems easier for the Germans to break a good North Field Defense than it is for the Russians to break a good South Field Defense. This is mainly because the Germans have the advantage of using the River Bed to move forward practically invisibly.

The 2 Villages should be captured using Infantry first, only afterwards should Tanks enter to provide extra support or as another position in which to engage Enemy Tanks.

That's how I see it anyways.

Upvote 0
One of the best German tactics I've seen so far is for them to leave one or two tanks in overwatch of South Field, and take EVERYTHING- halftracks and all- screaming into North Field from the git-go. One halftrack can drop off a couple of guys in South Village just as insurance, but by and large everything else goes North.

What this allows is for them to cap North Field, bottling up Soviet reinforcements at the original spawn point- no far point for them any longer- and make them cross a shooting gallery in order to defend North Village. If the South field overwatch tanks are in the right place, they can cover both SF and the SV main street easily; that coupled with the few AT guys in SV wraps it up.

Once NF is capped, all the halftracks can roll into North Village relatively unharmed, as the bulk of the tank force will be covering for them. Thus, Germans have 3 zones, while Soviets have only South Field to show for their efforts.

OTOH- and there's always an OTOH- if the Soviets hold back and pick off the German tanks one by one as they roll into NF, they can break this tactic by playing the reinforcement time cycle against the Germans; it simply takes longer for the Germans to move back up that far. It also requires the Soviet gunners to be on the ball and not let their tanks get too badly shot up in the process of slowing down the German end-run on NV. And for both sides, judicious use of artillery will help greatly- but even if it were not available, Arad can be a pretty vicious, if unrealistic, map to play.

All in all, though, as a previous poster said, don't judge RO (or specifically, its tank play) by Arad alone; the Orel and Black Day are much better for tank representation.

Upvote 0
Yep. Honestly, I view BDJ as the best tank map so far. Orel is ok, but because of the limitations of viewdistance and some technical issues, it ends up being kind of dull, even on a full server.

Honestly, no maps exist yet that have taken FULL advantage of RO's design approach, and that really highlight the differences between German and Soviet equipment.

Right now, most maps -- even the longer range ones like BDJ and Orel -- have engagement ranges of about 700m on average, going up to maybe 1000m at the absolute tippy-top high end.

But, German tanks could operate quite well outside of those ranges and, in fact, were designed to do so.

Look at the Tiger's design. Slow turret traverse, but a MASSIVE gun, and a pretty detailed gunsight. Fire it at +1000m and you'll still hit the enemy as long as your range is properly dialed in. Soviet sights are a lot less sophisticated, requirning the gunner to adjust the gunsight accordingly. What's more, the soviet guns are weak at ranges +800m (at least with T34/76s).

BUT, the Soviets have speed, and a low profile as an advantage. And at close range, they're a lot more dangerous.

Go in close with a Pz IV F2 or H and your armor isn't going to help you much, nor will your gun's power. At close range, I'd much rather be in a T34. But with a long range map, you gotta GET to close range first.

BDJ and Orel show just the beginnings of these nuances. For the most part, people play tank maps as little more than 19th century duels. We line up, stand, and deliver. Shoot at the other guy 'til he's dead. Some maps like BDJ and Orel allow for more tactics, but even they aren't the full extent of what's capable now.

So, expect to see some really REALLY good stuff coming out at some point in the future. :) We have nowhere to go but up.

Upvote 0
Check out my post of my last go at Orel. It shows a bit of what tanking can be like in RO. With the new longer view distances, Im finding that the next version (in development now- thank god they extended the competion deadline- I had to redo a whole lot of stuff and its a big map) of Orel is even better.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=249608#post249608

Upvote 0
Check out my post of my last go at Orel. It shows a bit of what tanking can be like in RO. With the new longer view distances, Im finding that the next version (in development now- thank god they extended the competion deadline- I had to redo a whole lot of stuff and its a big map) of Orel is even better.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=249608#post249608

Awesome! Glad to see you're getting back to this one. :) The map's got a lot of potential, but I'll be really curious to see how you use the longer viewdistances.

Upvote 0