• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reduce the ridiculous standing shot penalties

Hyperion2010 said:
As long as there is a smaller free aim area in shouldered that is fine, but ATM hipping is still pretty darned easy if you practice.

Exactly, I got it down, where with a G43 or a SVT40 I can hip shoot at hit someone most of the time. All it takes is practice, eventually you'll learn where the shots land and how to control your weapon. Took me a while, but I got it down pretty good.

I have no problems hitting anyone with an SMG or a SVT or a rifle at the hip. Granted, sometimes it a lucky shots, especially with the rifle, I hit people from the hip at quite the distance, sometimes seems like 20-25m.

Anyway, I just think its a learning curve issue, people are not use to it at all. They come from other games, like all of us. And are taken a back when they experience this, but that is the point. It's suppose to be different, and it aught to stay that way.

Upvote 0
Yes, lets please turn this into CoD or BIA or some crap game like that with rail gun SMGs, ugh. I can tell its the new crowd that wants this, I am not trying to bash you people but it's true. You come from these way unrealistic type of games where runnin n gunnin from the hip is the norm and the weapons are as accurate as a damn rifle. Its ridicilous, this game is a totally different type of game, and it needs to stay that way.

If you want the hyper accurate SMGs, play CoD or DoD or whatever. However, leave RO the way it is, I love how its done as is. I mean ***** most people here haven't shot a rifle or a SMG to begin with. And I love how they give examples by showing pictures or videos. Till you shoot a weapon yourself, you have no clue how it actually acts and reacts.

I have an M1 Carbine from WWII. Its semi auto for those who don't know. Well, its damn accurate shooting through the sites, I have no problem hitting a quarter at 75m even a 100m. However the minute I take it to the hip and just fire off a few round in the direction of a target 25m away. Out of 15 rounds, I hit it once. And thats just squezing the trigger as fast as I can.

I also tried the same thing running sideways as a lot of people do in game. Yea as one would imagine, I didn't hit ****. You might say I have ****ty aim, and that could be it. But I can tell you that running, bopping up and down and trying to keep your weapon steady is a little diffucult.

Now this is a semi auto rifle, so it's not that bad, plus it's .30 cal so its recoil is damn small. Now imagine firing a ppsh41 or a mp40 at full burst. Holy crap, good luck holding the thing steady while running and trying to hit a target.

Again in the end, I am sure people will come back tell me I have no clue wtf I am talking about and I can't shoot for ****. But I am going off my experience, and for the sake of gameplay. ROOST is the most realistic FPS I have played to date, there is no other game that comes close. I'd hate for it to be ruined more accurate hip shooting. In the mod the MP40 was a damn rail gun and i was damn good with it. But it was ridicilously accurate, I mean I was able to snipe with it as if it was a rifle. Now that is plain silly, I'd hate for it to come back to that.

I hope the dev keep it as is and I believe they mentioned they will. They hated the super accurate SMGs in the mod, so more power to them.
You clearly have ZERO comprehension of what is being talked about in this thread, NOONE is saying hip shooting should be more accurate. In fact I think it should be bloody harder.

The thread is about a shouldered firing position, do you understand what that is? It's the realistic medium between the two extremes we have in RO at the moment, which are highly accurate sighted mode and highly innacurate at the hip mode.

Try this, next time you take your M1 Carbine to the range shoulder it as if you were going to take aim, but instead of aiming down the sights just attain your shouldering and cheek weld. Now in this position if you have the rifle shouldered correctly your shots should fall roughly in the center of your vision when you are looking directly forward. This works because when you have a weapon shouldered it is inline with your line of sight. Seriously try this technique while firing at a target 50m down range and you will be suprised how easily you can get in the black, even without a cheek weld it works albeit less accurately. Try it on the move also, it gives you a great chance of hitting a target at short range and moving at the same time. It's also excellent for attaining a quick and man-accurate short range shot with a bit of practice (also as an aside soldiers were actually trained this method for jungle fighting in the 1960's ADF).

Read my post on the previous page also, as I said moving into an area in a shouldered 'ready to go' posture is as natural as breathing when moving with a weapon, trained or not. It is absolutely realistic, and this is comming from a guy who shoots military rifle discipline as a hobby!!!

So stop ranting and raving about turning RO into an arcade shooter for f*** sake! Also your argument about 'newbies' wanting this change is defunct, I've been playing RO since the UT2k3 version of the mod (1.2 I think), by all rights I am a vet of the mod and I think this is a splendid idea.

You know what is NOT realistic? Firing a full bore rifle from the hip in preference to having it at least in your shoulder, you ever tried it? Talk about punishing your bloody wrists for no useful effect! It's all you can do to stop the bloody thing leaping out of your hands let alone hit anything.

Now onto how I think the mechanics of this could work in a simple way, people said previously that having another key for it would be a hassle and I tend to agree, the KISS principal should be adhered to. I think a really nice setup could work tied to the walk button, I got the idea from the way you switch speed in America's Army. Imagine this;

- When you have your sights up and walk toggled on if you move your character will move as he does now with the sights up and bobbing about.

- If you don't have walk toggled on when you move while having your sights up your character will drop the gun into shouldered position and you'll move at a steady pace between walk and trotting normal speed. Or if crouched a steady crouch pace. When you stop the weapon will raise into aimed down the sights position again. Also if you are trotting along at the standard pace with your gun hipped if you hit your IS key you will transition into shouldered position and slow to the appropriate speed (and of course stopping will bring the sights up).

- When prone it's different, there is only aiming and shouldered because you can't really hip a gun when lying prone. So while prone you press IS to use your sights otherwise your character automatically has his weapon shouldered. Also there should be NO aiming or firing while moving in prone, the way you can edge along slowly while aiming and firing perfectly in prone in Osfront is just impossible in reality. Frankly it is THE most unrealistic aspect of the weapon handling and I can't believe how long it has stayed this way.

- Shouldered position will work as I described before, ie. gun raised and more central to the screen and smaller free aim zone.

- Hipping should be made harder, mostly in recoil terms.

So how's that for intuitive? This way aiming works as it always has and you have a simple way to move in a ready state through a close quarters area that's in between hobbling along with your sights up or trotting along with the gun at your hip and near zero control. All without the need for an extra key assignment.

Now explain to me how that will make the game more arcadish?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Point your gun at your opponent. You don't even need to be in iron sights. As long as the barrel is facing your enemy, you can shoot and kill him. I've done it several times with the bolt rifles; I don't see what the big deal is.

He's so right man... I think the big mistake everybody do is that they put the enemy in the middle of the screen (where the magic crosshair should be) snd fire. But thats wrong just point the barrel at the enemy and fire, i've done it too many times too..

Upvote 0
I can only chime in here, point the barrel! I hipshoot very often, sometimes it's the only choice and I often hit at distances up to 20 - 25 metres. It's come to the point where I can rely on my hipshooting to deal with my enemy.

It's fine as it is, really.

If you want to pratice hipshooting with bolts, play Basovka as a German! Assault those trenches like a madman and play a few rounds where you pay attention to the barrel and where it's pointing and don't use IS at all. You may die a lot, but it's worth it. I can guarantee your hipshooting skills will increase. Unless you are totally rubbish ;)

Soon you will get a feel for where the barrel is pointing when you turn this and that way; contrary to popular belief the weapon sway isn't completely random.

Upvote 0