• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rumor Mill

Rumor Mill

• Red Orchestra 2

Votes: 187 60.9%
  • A World War 1 Game

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • A Vietnam War Game

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • A game based on a revolutionary war (Chinese, south american, etc)

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A game based on modern wars

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • A war game in a sci-fi universe

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Something Completely different (read:non of the above)

Votes: 30 9.8%

• Total voters
lolocaust.gif

This time TWI GO TOO FAR!!!

Upvote 0
Are you being purposely thick?

edit: A realistic sci-fi shooter makes plenty of sense. Realism is defined in the lack of crosshairs, most pointedly, along with a variety of other gameplay features that immerse the player. I see no reason why a game with a sci-fi setting cannot benefit from realism. Not all sci-fi is lasers and energy shields and jetpacks, and, even still, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to maintain a semblance of realism therein. Surely laser guns (and other futuristic weapons) have iron sights/scopes? Surely the various factors formative of RO's defining realism can be juxtaposed onto another game, regardless of setting?

I see no correlation between "realism" and "fiction." They are most certainly not mutually exclusive terms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

edit: A realistic sci-fi shooter makes plenty of sense. Realism is defined in the lack of crosshairs, most pointedly, along with a variety of other gameplay features that immerse the player. I see no reason why a game with a sci-fi setting cannot benefit from realism. Not all sci-fi is lasers and energy shields and jetpacks, and, even still, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to maintain a semblance of realism therein. Surely laser guns (and other futuristic weapons) have iron sights/scopes? Surely the various factors formative of RO's defining realism can be juxtaposed onto another game, regardless of setting?

I see no correlation between "realism" and "fiction." They are most certainly not mutually exclusive terms.

But science fiction in itself is fantasy. What would be realism in a world with 8 foot tall aliens and intergalactic space travel? What might be "realistic" in that world is pure craziness in the world we currently live in.

Upvote 0
But science fiction in itself is fantasy. What would be realism in a world with 8 foot tall aliens and intergalactic space travel? What might be "realistic" in that world is pure craziness in the world we currently live in.

Exactly.

You can't define what is realistic in a fictional world that includes fictional characters, fictional weapons, and fictional physics.

Upvote 0
I personally would like to see RO2. RO is limited now, to a certain extent, by the technology of the game engine. RO2 would take everything that TW have learned of the Eastern Front, and improve upon it with destructible terrain, and maybe a lot of those other ideas in the wishlists that we all have, which would be too much for the game engine as it is. Not to mention 64 player servers?

As for the realism of any science fiction project? Obviously the setting wont be real, but I am guessing that Corban Ireland was meaning realism in relation to the physics of weapons?

Upvote 0

I agree with him. If they go down the path of a hard sci-fi, there are certain elements of various scientific and physical laws that are immutable. Besides, with some good writing, they can make the various technologies make sense, and that is the important part about being immersed in a sci-fi story: that the technologies make some semblence of sense and at least look likethey can work.

But then again, if thy do put in lasers in that kind environment, then we will have people complaining that the people are camping in the spawn sniping with pin point accuracy......

Upvote 0
Surely laser guns (and other futuristic weapons) have iron sights/scopes?
I don't think so! They would be like the machine-cannons of an AH-64! Each soldier would have a shoulder-mounted laser gun which pointed wherever the solder saw. The soldier would of course have a special helmet with a crosshair. Meaning, the future of realistic combat games are crosshairs!

Upvote 0
I would want a "realistic" sci-fi game but I doubt they are doing that.

And there is no contradiction in a realistic sci-fi shooter. Just making a game where the thermodynamic laws and physic laws apply is something unheard of in other members of the sci-fi genre.

I.e it is highly unlikely that you will ever see a lasergun that is carried by one man just because of the energy needed to make a laser that actually hurts anything except the eyes. Same goes for a rifle that fires plasma, which is even more unrealistic since just an atmosphere will disrupt a beam of plasma very quick (don't even get me started on plasma balls). There is a reason that there has been more or less a standstill in soldier weapon technology for the last 100-150 years (yes we might have changed from bolt action rifles or breach loaded 1 shooters to assault rifles but we still fire more or less the same ammunition adding auto capabilities etc is a minor change)
On the other hand it might be not totally unrealistic to i.e. have lasers on vehicles that might carry a sufficient power source (hey even in the 50ies ford made a nuclear powered car Ford Atom anyone? :D ).

The list can be made long. I define realistic in the sense that the game follows physics and thermodynamic laws.

Upvote 0
it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a realistic/futuristic/sci-fi game

reason1: when we will be smart enough to devellop laser guns, jetpacks bla bla bla... then i think we will aslo be smart enough to NOT use them, WAR is not a form of intelligence

Reason2: technology will make it impossible for humans to fight each other, right now armies are develloping "coward" weapons that send waves thru the air that liquify the intestins of every living creature, or waves that destroy your brain. there will simply never be any laser gun battles, its far more easy to send killing radio waves...

Reason3: the good old days of WW2 was the last real "good" war in history, there will never again be a war or fight between balanced enemies like in ww2.
from now on its a superpower-high technology army against a stone-age army.
those stone-age armies will simply be no match against the other ones

BTW, i would like to have the option "other ww2 game" they said no RO2, but it could be that they are making some other revolutionary ww2 game?

ITS WW2 OR BURST!

Last edited:
Upvote 0