• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

UNKOWN STEAM ERROR (please help me)

Jamer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Canada
I'll make this as short as I can. I had to reinstall Steam and RO, (don't ask, it's done:eek: ) but not before making sure everything was then gone and cleaned out of course. Anyways, I used the unofficial tweak guide and readjusted my in game settings, same as I'd done before with both. Now I cannot connect.:(

A window pops up saying,... (AN UNKNOWN STEAM ERROR IS PREVENTING YOU FROM CONNECTING TO THIS SERVER) I rebooted and tried 3 more times with the same result. Then I rechecked and noticed in my redorchestra.ini file, I may have misplaced information after comparing it to the tweakguide suggested info.

For the following, - desired refresh rate
- over ride desktop refresh rate
- compressed light maps
it says the catagory is [D3DDrv.D3D9RenderDevice] but listed in the ini file the two there are [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] and [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice].

Seems like a simple spelling mistake cause I unwittingly did it right the first time without notice or any problems ingame. At least I hope.:confused: I don't know if the two are related or not.

So I have this feeling it's just not in the right place and need some advice or at least, get pointed in the right direction.:) While I'm at it I may as well ask where the v-sync & triple buffering get changed too! Do I change it everywhere I see it in the file or a particular catagory? I hope that explains it.

Thanks for your time guys.

Update....
After doing some more reading I got the Steam error fixed but my performance has changed. It has to be the ini file. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello today and thanks for the response. I'm not exactly a wiz when it comes to pc's but fear I may now be an idiot:eek: (lol) I'm confused about where to put the changes in the ini file as I said above.:confused: Are you saying the file loaded with the wrong information? laugh if you must. it's ok. Theres no shame in truth and the truth is I don't know what your saying:eek: Silly as it may sound.

I 'm not clear on where to put the information as I stated above because the catagories don't match.

Upvote 0
Ok just delete your RO ini file, close RO, shut down Steam.
Restart Steam, this should generate a new ini. file.
Start RO.
You will have to reset your video and keyboard settings and whatever your preferences are, exit RO.

How much ram do you have ? =

The last updates to RO have greatly helped map load times and timing out problems, so don't tweak anything for the moment.

The important tweaks for me are cache megas=32/ double it.
Depending on what Dx card you have, do the False/True thing.

It is explained in the tweak guide.
I have 1.256g of ram and since the last update have done no tweaks at all.
Good luck !

Upvote 0
OK so after yesterdays mistake I made I'm right back at the same point except now worse. PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE can anybody explain to me what I was asking about originally with the tweak guide and ini file not matching. I simply need to know where to correctly place the tweaks in the ini file. I laid it out in the original post. Again thanks for your time and patience:)

Upvote 0
Jamer...
Did you try deleting your Steam blob file, (client registry I think).

Check known errors.

Sorry, I missed your response. I've got everthing back to where it was except for whats in the above post ( ini stuff). With my current specs these settings give me the best performance possible, just gotta get some answers on it. Thankyou very nuch for your help and suggestions fiftyone.

Upvote 0
Sorry bout that, I originally read the original post last night and forgot about that.

The two entries apply to DirectX. RO can run under DX7 or 8(can't remember which) and DX9. Where you change the settings in the INI file depends on which version of DX you using. Check your video settings from the menu and find out which version you're using and make the appropiate changes in the INI under the correct device.

Upvote 0