• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Complete SDK & Mod nOOb

I downloaded the SDK and it does crank up when I tell it to- what now?

To get my feet wet all I want to be able to do is some very seemingly simple modifications to a stock map, say Arad, by adding/deleting vehicles or buildings and such- nothing I would THINK would be a major ordeal.

Is there a relatively 'easy' way to do this, or do I have to have a degree in SDK Technology to accomplish the project? Some map editor thingies only require you to point-and-click to put a building or terrain feature on the map (I'm talking about the aging Blackhawk Down game) but the SDK we're dealing with here seems a *bit* more complicated thanthat to a complete noob like myself!

You could re-arrange existing maps, but if you do save them with a different name or else you'll have problems playing RO later. There's no fun in doing that though, making something from nothing is where the real fun is.

UEd(what the RO SDK is based on) is a real no nonsense Editor though and is quite complex requiring some dedication to Learn. However, once you understand the Basics it becomes much easier to use. It also is one of the best Game Editor's in the sense of available info and help on the internet.

www.3dbuzz.com -- goto this website, Register, goto Downloads, and checkout the Unreal Technology section for Mapping info. If you just happen to have the 2 DVD version of UT2k4, you're in great luck. Checkout the 2nd DVD for the Video Training Modules(VTMs). They were made by the guys/gals of 3DBuzz and are the best way to get started.

Mapping for RO has a few differences though, but essentially you can use all the info learned Mapping for UT2k4 and apply it to RO. Checkout the SDK Manual here for info on RO specific Mapping Info.

Upvote 0