• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Making Kaukasus balanced

I think kaukinass is supposed to be favored for the russians, seeing as they have the high ground.:rolleyes:

It's still can be an easy win for the germans, it's all about teamwork.

Exactly. There's a reason why a defending army chooses the high ground, if possible. ;) This map has always been evenly matched since the mod days. There's really no need to change it.

Upvote 0
Germans need a sniper for Kaukasus

......You gotte be kidding me.. the map is so big and wide open, you dont even need a scope.. I can hit 99% of all my targets just fine with IS on a K98 anyday..

Besides when playing Kaukasus, its one of the few maps I RECOMMEND playing as a bolt... On axis even though I love those little devil MGs.. a bolt will work ten times easier on distance, no time to set up, REALLY accurate, rifles do more damage than a smg, and its really fun to pick people off on that map...

Especially if someone is on allies on the outside of the wall, look out for the Geist, I will pick you off so fast with the K98 IS its not funny...:D

Upvote 0
Give the Germans a sniper and remove that path in the Russian spawn that leads to BR. The Germans are a mountain division, they should have a sniper. Being able to blow holes in the courtyard walls would help too. Or just add more ways inside.

My main point before you read the rest of this is really the biggest thing that would help is getting rid of that path in the Russian spawn that leads to BR everything else would be secondary suggestions.

Because of that path:

The Soviets kill the Germans off easily because they can easily get to the German spawn and "frag" everyone to death.
due to the fact the path provides a quick way down the "hill"(more like a cliff) side which is often exploited and used so well most of the game takes place right next to the spawn. Even with most of the soviets attacking in force from the BR
the other way is well defened by DP-28 and excellant Soviet rifle men as well as a few smgs waiting for you if you actually break through. This area is also a bit of a frag fest and they do have a good advantage since they occuppy a castle like building with plenty of cover on the high ground. Both of these grind down the German reinforcements.

Without the path the Soviets would not be able to get down as quickly allowing the Germans to push ahead without being decimated in their own spawn thus alleviating some of the meat grinder effect.

Here are my secondary suggestions:

The "castle" breaks the Germans up and forces them into 3 "kill zones" where they are easily subdued a few breakable walls would be nice to level this out especially since the Germans have yet to get a destructible objective. As for the German sniper rifle I would only add it if it was realistic.

Another thought:
Remember this is an early map and the Germans should actually get artillery

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kaukasus is actually quite balanced if the Germans know what they're doing.

The trick is to take the preliminary objectives (back route, tower, and mortar position) as quickly as possible. If you can take the mortar position first (which is rare) then take the back route and tower from the Main Road route (the initial spawnpoint), you can get a 10-minute lead on the effort towards the Courtyard by the time your team has began focusing on it. Most games I play where they focus on the Back Route tend to get to the courtyard at the 5-7 mintue mark and lose almost always, usually from a lack of reinforcements (back route deadlocks can shave off more than half the total reinforcements).

Then it becomes a battle of wits and attrition, and the bravest SMGers and bayoneters can make a capture possible.

Kaukasus isn't a plain old multi-route fight map, it requires a certain method to beat that most people should know. The key is time, and getting deadlocked in the back route will not give you time.

Upvote 0
......You gotte be kidding me.. the map is so big and wide open, you dont even need a scope.. I can hit 99% of all my targets just fine with IS on a K98 anyday..

Besides when playing Kaukasus, its one of the few maps I RECOMMEND playing as a bolt... On axis even though I love those little devil MGs.. a bolt will work ten times easier on distance, no time to set up, REALLY accurate, rifles do more damage than a smg, and its really fun to pick people off on that map...

Especially if someone is on allies on the outside of the wall, look out for the Geist, I will pick you off so fast with the K98 IS its not funny...:D

Germans need a sniper for the fun factor. Kaukasus is balanced though, Germans just need more teamwork.

Upvote 0
Because of that path:

The Soviets kill the Germans off easily because they can easily get to the German spawn and "frag" everyone to death.
due to the fact the path provides a quick way down the "hill"(more like a cliff) side which is often exploited and used so well most of the game takes place right next to the spawn. Even with most of the soviets attacking in force from the BR
the other way is well defened by DP-28 and excellant Soviet rifle men as well as a few smgs waiting for you if you actually break through. This area is also a bit of a frag fest and they do have a good advantage since they occuppy a castle like building with plenty of cover on the high ground. Both of these grind down the German reinforcements.

Without the path the Soviets would not be able to get down as quickly allowing the Germans to push ahead without being decimated in their own spawn thus alleviating some of the meat grinder effect.

If the Russians could not get to the Back Route fast there would be no point even having a Back Route cap zone, because the Germans would just run through it and cap it unopposed. That path does not lead ANYWHERE near the Germans spawn. The Germans spawn way down the road and it takes the entire stamina bar just to run to the back route area from the German spawn.
The map is balanced, and it takes a lot of hard fighting and even more teamwork to win the cap points if both teams are doing their jobs.
The reason Germans compain a lot about that Back Route is because they do the same lemming tactic over and over, spawn, run run run run, don't stop, don't look, right into a nade they should know is coming through that little ravine. Just move carefully, get spotters on the wall above behind the rock ledge, hold back from nade "spam", then move in as a group under smoke and spread out in the cap zone. I've seen it easily done many many times.

Upvote 0
And as far as maps go, I don't think they should be balanced per say. Having a challenge makes winning even better. I don't understand why clanners would have a problem with map balance, considering they play both sides in a match?

Because tactics matter minimally on the courtyard objective since theoretically one guy can cover all entrances at once.

Upvote 0
Because tactics matter minimally on the courtyard objective since theoretically one guy can cover all entrances at once.

..not unless the attacking team has a LITTLE cordination and hits multiple entrances at the same time.

Removing the BR-access route would make the BR objective completely pointless. Right now the German team can get to the BR about as fast as the Russian team; removing it would double or tripple the time for the Russian team, making it trivial to cap and hold.

If you want to make it easier for the Axis team, the thing to do IMO would be make all the objectives NOT recappable. Or lengthen the round timer.

Upvote 0