• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Michael Richards ends his career.

As big of a butt-pug as Richards made of himself, I still see some hypocrisy on the side of the audience. Eddie Murphy can say "Faggots This, and Faggots that" and Chris Rock can say "cracka asss cracka" but no on takes them too seriously.

Maybe if the word was used in the context of a funny joke, people would be less offended and more entertained. It seems Richards used the word just to hurt and offend his audience. Bad move.

Upvote 0
And although the name-calling and systematic repressiveness is for the most part over, black people feel like they arent heard (elections, Katrina) and just ignored by the state.

That is a 2 way street....

So in short, what pycckuu said...

Its not that they are not being heard and ignored, its the fact that its alot easier to blame "the white man" for opressing you or "the dirty mexican" for "stealing" your job. It's difficult to accept responsibility for your actions in many situations, and this escapist attitude is certainly independant of color.

plus, I would like to add, in response to the katrina comment...

White Guy: There is a big mother****ing hurricane coming. We are offering shuttles out of the city to safe places for you to stay.

Black guy 1: OH **** DAWG, DIS STORM A COMIN', WE GOTS TO ROLL YO!

Black Guy 2: **** DAT **** *****, WE STAYING RIGHT HERE TO LOOT AND ****. ALL THESE MOTHA ****AS LEAVIN THEIR ****, WE TAKIN' IT.

insert storm here

Black Guy 1: YO YO YO, THAT STORM WAS WHACK. WHY AINT THEY SENDING US ANY HELP

Black Guy 2: CAUSE WE BLACK NIGGA!

So, shall we get into elections, or did this sum it up?

**I put all the black people in caps cause my real black friends talk loud. Well, except for one of them.

Upvote 0
Black Guy 2: **** DAT **** *****, WE STAYING RIGHT HERE TO LOOT AND ****. ALL THESE MOTHA ****AS LEAVIN THEIR ****, WE TAKIN' IT.

And the white guys went "We're stayin' so we can scramble the remaining stuff floating around just to survive"

Now I agree that people are responsible for their own futures for the most part, but its a fact that the US, along with many other countries, are still recovering from a long history of apartheid and discrimination, and that some things are still not forgotten or fully recovered, which is why the N-word is such a sensitive subject

Upvote 0
That is a 2 way street....

So in short, what pycckuu said...

plus, I would like to add, in response to the katrina comment...

White Guy: There is a big mother****ing hurricane coming. We are offering shuttles out of the city to safe places for you to stay.

Black guy 1: OH **** DAWG, DIS STORM A COMIN', WE GOTS TO ROLL YO!

insert storm here

Black Guy 1: YO YO YO, THAT STORM WAS WHACK. WHY AINT THEY SENDING US ANY HELP

Black Guy 2: CAUSE WE BLACK NIGGA!

So, shall we get into elections, or did this sum it up?

**I put all the black people in caps cause my real black friends talk loud. Well, except for one of them.
Well, I think the truth is that most people were too poor to leave New Orleans. And their Government was totally incompetent. For example WTF was the Mayor thinking, leaving all the School Busses in the yard? The yard was in a area over 10 feet below sea level, why didn't he have them parked at the Super-dome? Talk about a Smacktard. I mean what exactly did he think his job was?

Secondly, there were so many cars on the Freeway trying to leave it was gridlock, and no one was going anywhere. People spent days trapped on the Freeways.

Thirdly, it was not just black folks that were left behind. Kanye West said George Bush doesn't care about black people. He would have been right on the mark if he would have just thought about it a minute, and said George Bush does not care about poor people.

Folks should realize that the people who are all about white vs. black are just trying to keep us divided. It is not so much a matter of race, as it is a matter of a class system. The poor getting boned by the rich, it has always been this way, racism is just a despicable tool used by the powerful to keep us all enslaved, white, black, brown, our lot is the same. Bow to the Almighty Dollar.

Upvote 0
Bow to the Almighty Dollar.

Thats one of the side-effects of capitalism, people being masters of their own fates?, yes, in principle. Make the right choices, and you'll reach the top, how many bad choices must a person born into the bush or kennedy family make to end up in a box on the street? Or on the other hand, when you are from a poor new orleans family whose parents and grandparents where required by law to give his or her bus-seat to the white man, then how much do you have to fight the system, just to reach middleclass?

Sure, you can give plenty of examples of people from poor families who have done remarkably well , but that doesnt mean its fair. If a (born) poor person made the same choices Bush did in their life, School, alcohol,drugs, military, any chance they'd be president? No way.

Upvote 0
Oh man... so many subjects I feel very strongly about...

MUST...HOLD....MY....TONGUE
duh3gt.gif

Upvote 0
Racism is all around us whether we want to admit it or not. I know plenty of people who I would call "closet racists" These are people who would never admit they were racist unless they consider you a friend. Even then they don't admit it. You can just tell by comments they make every now and again. It's true for all races too. It's not a white thing, a black thing, an asian thing, or a hispanic thing.

Racism is going away, but it will never be gone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This will take time.. from a yurpeon point of view, what you have now is this strange PC climate where everyone is walking on eggshells with this issue, trying desperately not to hurt anyones feelings, and thats actually a bad climate in which to resolve such issues, its a climate in which very little can be done..

I think things will progress very slowly untill the climate changes to something more honest and open, a climate where people are deathly afraid to be falsly labelled as a racists is allmost as poisenous as one thats racist, if you ask me.

Upvote 0
First of all, let me say that I, myself, am not a racist and actually feel uncomforable around people who are. I work and live with people of other races and don't really think about them as being all that different from me.

That being said, this was in a comedy club. The normal rules of etiquette do not apply in comedy clubs. The entire point of comedy clubs is they are a place where "Politically Correct" doesn't exist. A lot of comics say things against arabs and white people that were a LOT worse than what Michael Richards said. I do NOT condone what he said, but guess what, if you walk into a comedy club and make a nusiance out of yourself, you get what you deserve. If this hadn't been a fameous person, NOBODY WOULD CARE.

The only mistake Michael made (IMHO) is he chose to attack them with language that also included other audience members (He used racism). If he had chosen to call them dickless morons, I'm sure everyone would have laughed. Is that any less offensive? Not really...

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have had to preface your comments with that little "I'm not racist" thing.

THAT, sir, is what's wrong - that we immediately assume that we need to prove a negative - that we aren't racist, rather than having to prove a positive - that we are.

This is called "racial manners," and it's stupid. Carry on.

Upvote 0

Look, (I assume you are white) if I called you a "cracker" it wouldnt be offencive, not because its not an insensitive, stupid racist comment against white people, because it is, but it would have any weight or meaning whatsoever because I'm also white. thats why black people can use the N-word, because it simply doesnt make any kind of sense to insult yourself.

Upvote 0