• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics You can't use what you don't have!

Zerkov

Nov 21, 2006
What the title says. If you've managed to grab the MG or Sniper role, but don't give a damn about your team, which will most definitively have a large impact for your whole team since these roles provide crutial support for the assault roles, go offline and practise slaying AI or ask around or read manuals to learn how to be more efficent with these support roles. It will benefit the team more then it will empower your ego!

Yeah, it's just a game. But don't you want to be a part of the reason your team won?

That goes for newbie tankers too. The download section has damage model sheets for all the tanks, which can be useful if you're not sure where to place your shells.

For the purpous of self-preservation, all you really need to remember is to keep your tank opponent(s) at an angle while you or your gunner fires upon the foe. That way, the opponents shell has a higher probability of ricocheting off your armor. And always, never let the enemy get behind you, that's a tanks dead spot!

If you've got the element of suprise or at close range and you preferably possess a Soviet tank, race behind the enemy tank and do your thing. The German tanks were known for their slow rotating turrets. You can do it with German tanks too, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a faster tank preferably with a fast rotating turret. German tanks were known for their limited speed, unreliable engines and mechanical faliure cause of their weight, complexity and bad choice of power plant (Discovery Channel). Although most of that stuff isn't modelled into the game, thank god!

As long as this helps at least one person, this topic isn't a total waste of MySQL space!

Last edited:
have you ever considered that some people just play because its fun to play and have no interest in becoming a uber player and sitting down to training or study some stuff?
i think games are meant to be played to relax from reality, not to give you extra stuff to do. what does it mean if you loose on a public game anyway?

Upvote 0
Well, this thread has good points, but there's two things that bug me...

1. Discovery Channel ISN'T a good source. I remember how they claimed that tankist had to be 150-160 cm tall to fit in T-72. Bull, as I fit very well in (172 cm), and tallest T-72 tankist in Finland was 193 cm.

2. Ruprecht, his point was that this is a team based game. Most of the community despises loners who just do their own thing.

Upvote 0
yeah, and my point was that some people may just fire RO, play a while and then go back to everydays life, have no interest in learning about it nor build up tactics or something.

im slowly getting sick when i hear the "give the sniper or mg to someone else cause youre not able to support your team" let the people play however they want to, they got the gun and thats it. pick another and enjoy the game without getting grey hair from thinking about how bad the others play and how much better another one could do.
i personaly care a rats fart if i win or loose, i play this game because i like it.

Upvote 0
let the people play however they want to, they got the gun and thats it. pick another and enjoy the game without getting grey hair from thinking about how bad the others play and how much better another one could do.
i personaly care a rats fart if i win or loose, i play this game because i like it.

Three Cheers! Excellent opinion. You left out one thingy though.. the goofs that cry about who is in what Tank or vehicle and why. There comes a time when the fanatics begin taking all the fun out of playing RO.

That's when I log in as ADMIN and let them know of my displeasure in their fanaticism. We truly are all wishing to play and enjoy RO... not be "bossed around" by a "control freak" who is busy ruining the game for the rest of the players on the server.

These control freak fanatics needs to learn what the expression:

"When in Rome do as the Romans do!"
actually means.

Or, put up their own server, then they can write the rules for THEIR Server as they see fit.​

Upvote 0
Zerkov, with only 2 posts you may not realize it but your statements have been made many times over. Bottom line is it is a game and people will play how they please. You can't change that. In time you will find servers where teamwork is stressed more than others. It is always a good idea to jump into a server with many guys wearing the same clan tags as they probably work together.

Upvote 0
This reply isn't literally ment for everyone in this thread. If you feel it speaks to you, then yes, I'm talking to you! If you feel offended or unfairly accused by reading my rebundle, then you have a right to feel that way. Friendly fire!

I'm about to make a fool of myself, but at least I'm not aiming at someone that didn't do anything to me.

If people read this thread (hopefully only the productive parts), they are fully capable of deciding whether the information is useful to them or not. If they feel they should only accept information from someone with at least 500 posts, or if they feel they've read it a thousand times, that's their deal. But they don't need some bitter or jelaous, unsure, threatened, pushy, so called "I'm so unappreciated!" trolls to bash the unsuspecting stranger into submission because you are a forum troll and you're the expert! Newbies have feelings too!

It's not necessary for me to rebundle either, but I'm sick of you pepople hijacking threads, with your smart ass comments that will only provoke someone like me to stand up and say "my god!".

I welcome productive critisism and or other types of friendly additions, except forum trolls. Remind me to include that from the start in my next thread. It probably won't help as much as it'll invite a flame war, but it'll be funny!

By the way. Nobody truly doesn't care about winning whether it's just a computer game or fighting over a woman. In that case, get a pair!

Got anything else to say to me trolls? I'm listening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This reply isn't literally ment for everyone in this thread. If you feel it speaks to you, then yes, I'm talking to you! If you feel offended or unfairly accused by reading my rebundle, then you have a right to feel that way. Friendly fire!
Got anything else to say to me trolls? I'm listening.

Way to win friends and influence people. You are off to a rousing start with your contribution to these forums.

What I posted is true, your points have been made endlessly and a casual search would show this. What other people have said is also true; some people just want to play for the fun of it and you have no more right than I to insist they do as you say. With the exception of intentional team killing you must accept how the server is populated or leave. Alternatively you can join a clan and/or host and admin yourself.

You may also notice I gave you some advice on how to find a server more to your pleasure. No need to offer thanks.

I will save you some time for your next insightful post. Here are things than have been discussed ad nauseum.

Suicide Satchel Bombers
BA-64 Clown Car Bombers
Arad is a broken map
The Tiger is too weak
Tank Penetration and Damage Level Issues
Team Tanking
Weapon Exchanging
VOIP on the Local Channel is broken
Bots
Adding Americans
You can't mark arty for another person to call in (as stated in the manual)
XXX Weapon is too good
XXX Weapon is garbage
SU-76 is overly armored
HE tank rounds don't kill Halftracks and Clown Cars
AT Rifle is useless against heavy German armor

Upvote 0
have you ever considered that some people just play because its fun to play and have no interest in becoming a uber player and sitting down to training or study some stuff?
i think games are meant to be played to relax from reality, not to give you extra stuff to do. what does it mean if you loose on a public game anyway?

Thats why I quit playing RPG games like runescape.

Upvote 0
On Teamkillers and Other Assorted Game-Wreckers

On Teamkillers and Other Assorted Game-Wreckers

Obviously, ALL of us are playing RO to have fun; if it weren't FUN we wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

THAT BEING SAID, however, let's look at another game: football. Sure, it's 'just a game'- but what would happen if you were part of a team and in the middle of the game you started tackling your own guys? What would happen if you snatched the ball and decided on your own that you were the quarterback? What would happen if you just ran across the field any which way instead of sticking to the play that was called?

I daresay that NO football team would tolerate that sort of behavior for more than a minute and would have you off the team in short order. It's just the same for RO- except we have no real way of 'cleaning house' other than to retreat to private game servers and such.

Certainly, RO is a game- but (just as armed forces operate in the Real World) it's still a TEAM GAME. There is a reason why there is no option for 'Free-for-All-Deathmatch' styled games- it's just not the intent of the game. The intent of football is to get that football across the opposite team's goal line- in RO it's to achieve a certain objective: pretty much the same thing when you boil it down to its essence. BUT- how can a team achieve that objective when players on YOUR OWN TEAM aren't working towards that same objective? If they're standing around in spawn shooting each other or satchelling all the ready spawn vehicles- what's the point of them even being in the game PERIOD?

Okay, so you've paid your money and you say you can do as you damned well please- fine. You want to complain that RO doesn't have crosshairs and that Tiger armor is too weak- fine. The lack of crosshairs is simply part of the game, and weak Tiger armor is at worst a bug in the system. But for us players who at least TRY to 'keep it real' you teamkillers and spawncampers ARE THE BUGS IN THE SYSTEM.

You folks in the 'bug' category don't seem to realize that if you continue your childish activities, RO will lose its potential base of support- and what happens than? TWI stops supporting it and developing the game to make it better- and EVERYBODY LOSES. And what will you do then- find another game to migrate to and ruin it for everybody as well? Delta Force 2, Blackhawk Down, Call of Duty...these are games I've played from the start and slowly watched them go down the tubes due to childish players and hackers who only want to cheat the system to their benefit. I DO NOT want to see RO go the same way.

All in all, though, it is the responsibility of the server administrators to police their systems and ban all those who ruin the game for everyone; however, because you haven't been banned YET doesn't mean you won't be, or have carte blanche to be a teamkiller.

So live it up, teamkillers and glitch-meisters- live it up while you can. Sooner or later it will catch up to you and you'll wind up with no place to play AGAIN, just like you did before you found RO.

Upvote 0
What the title says. If you've managed to grab the MG or Sniper role, but don't give a damn about your team, which will most definitively have a large impact for your whole team since these roles provide crutial support for the assault roles, go offline and practise slaying AI or ask around or read manuals to learn how to be more efficent with these support roles. It will benefit the team more then it will empower your ego!

Yeah, it's just a game. But don't you want to be a part of the reason your team won?

That goes for newbie tankers too. The download section has damage model sheets for all the tanks, which can be useful if you're not sure where to place your shells.

For the purpous of self-preservation, all you really need to remember is to keep your tank opponent(s) at an angle while you or your gunner fires upon the foe. That way, the opponents shell has a higher probability of ricocheting off your armor. And always, never let the enemy get behind you, that's a tanks dead spot!

If you've got the element of suprise or at close range and you preferably possess a Soviet tank, race behind the enemy tank and do your thing. The German tanks were known for their slow rotating turrets. You can do it with German tanks too, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a faster tank preferably with a fast rotating turret. German tanks were known for their limited speed, unreliable engines and mechanical faliure cause of their weight, complexity and bad choice of power plant (Discovery Channel). Although most of that stuff isn't modelled into the game, thank god!

As long as this helps at least one person, this topic isn't a total waste of MySQL space!

Pretty much a decent thread other than the attack on german tanks =D. German tanks in the late war had these problems, but mid and early war vehicles were very fine, and steamrolled over russian t-26s and light bt series vehicles.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by Ruprecht
i cant think of any other reason why anyone would play this(or any other) game. it's not like; hey im having to much fun, lets play RO i really hate that game... :p

the fact is that some people(like me) have fun playing when they are helping others and participating to the group effort. and others have fun just running around and shooting enemies. the problem is that when those last kind of players happen to posess the only MG or sniper, that it forms a serious handicap for the rest of the team. since they hardly ever use their weapons to support the others in the most important zones...

i was on allied side once on stalingrad kessel, and on both rounds we never got beyond the warehouse. simply because our sniper was "camping" and sniping on the west side of the map ( and getting lots of kills) while the german mg's on the east side made every attempt to blow the wall impossible, while if that sniper would have been there where we needed him it would have been easy for us to win

Upvote 0
yeah, and my point was that some people may just fire RO, play a while and then go back to everydays life, have no interest in learning about it nor build up tactics or something.

im slowly getting sick when i hear the "give the sniper or mg to someone else cause youre not able to support your team" let the people play however they want to, they got the gun and thats it. pick another and enjoy the game without getting grey hair from thinking about how bad the others play and how much better another one could do.

No, you can go be a sniper in practice in your own time. When you pick the sniper or MG class, your taking on the responsibility of being the one who gives suppresive covering fire to the fire teams who have lighter weapons like the bolt actions or the SMGs. Or as the German sniper to take out important people on the Russian team, therefore creating a little disorder in the enemy team buying your team time. This game IS about winning. If a game were designed to lose, I wouldn't play it. I wish they'd put this game in the simulation section of the store, so it would attract for simulators and than spraying noobs.

The game isn't about killing people. It's about decisive maneuvers. Hit the enemy fast and hard with quick but hard blows. Less bloodshed, more tactics.

Upvote 0

the objective of the game is to work as a team and win the battle, which is alot more fun the a bunch of people running around getting kills and not helping thier mates, if you want that kind of a game go buy Bull Fukers 2, otherwise known as Beta Field 2...

Upvote 0
Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf said:
No, you can go be a sniper in practice in your own time.

ok, as it seems you want to discuse the general thema on me, hm? i dont play sniper much, cause its just not my play style.

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf said:
When you pick the sniper or MG class, your taking on the responsibility of being the one who gives suppresive covering fire to the fire teams who have lighter weapons like the bolt actions or the SMGs.

the only responsability i have when i play a video game is: have fun, and stop when im hungry or thirsty / should better sleep.

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf said:
This game IS about winning. If a game were designed to lose, I wouldn't play it.

as were personal now, it may be winning or prohably "owning" that makes you play this game, i play because its fun.

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf said:
The game isn't about killing people. It's about decisive maneuvers. Hit the enemy fast and hard with quick but hard blows. Less bloodshed, more tactics.

aha, thanks for letting me know. i should have realized it after a few month playing but appearently it needed someone like you to enlighten me.

(does your nick suit you btw?
i know i should better ignore you as answering but sometimes my troll tends to slip into my two typing fingers, same thing with you, huh?)

------

Colt .45 killer said:
the objective of the game is to work as a team and win the battle, which is alot more fun the a bunch of people running around getting kills and not helping thier mates, if you want that kind of a game go buy Bull Fukers 2, otherwise known as Beta Field 2...

so? you want to take it on a personal level too? np, lets see then.
i guess you mean battlefield 2 there? i would bet that they had the same objective in mind as they developed it, but its the players that make a muliplayer game.
the reason RO isnt down on that point yet may be that its not as popular and requires a little time to find your route to succsess in it. just wait as the comunity grows bigger and you prohably say the same thing, you just cant help it, there is no real way to force teamplay.

i for myself tend to do what i find necesary to do, i gave it up long ago to motivate others to team up with me or generaly do, because i saw it has no effect, even if i have to admit that its working here and there, but i dont spend energy on getting people to do it anymore.

(i know i should better ignore you as answering but sometimes my troll tends to slip into my two typing fingers, same thing with you, huh?)

Upvote 0
Stop being such a ****head. As I said getting kills isn't the objective, winning is, and the more maneuvers are used the less blood shed there is. And Snipers and MGs have to support the team, which is their resposibility. Don't think you have resposnibility in this game? GTFO. It's a damned war sim!

Time to calm down. Can't we just be friends?

Upvote 0
Here's an interesting thought on it: I saw a news report that there was to be a new category of 'sport' in the Beijng Olympics, although at this point it's only for demonstration- yes, you guessed it <video gaming>.

Now, thinking about RO on a different level, what do YOU suppose the hypothetical Olympic Red Orchestra Demonstration Team would act like? A group of focused, dedicated team players, or a bunch of loners out for a personal score? I daresay you wouldn't find ANY of the second category in the team at all.

So why SHOULD it be any different out here? If all you want is to rack up a 'persnal best' there are any number of other single-player sniper games out there; why ruin a team game with individual goals that don't mesh with your teams'? If you're looking for personal scores, fine- rack 'em up. BUT do so while helping your team as well and not just occupying a sniper/arty/commander slot 'just because'.

Upvote 0