• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To All SMG Lovers...

Five bucks says that from close to meduim/long range, my stg would OWN you any day of the week. of course, playing since beta 1.0 and playing with the stg since it was out helps. no thanks buddy, i'll stick with my stg.. you have fun with that bolt. one more person that can say "WTF HAX" when i long range them with my single shot.

You probably WOULD own me with you're STG... no dought about it... its the only Fully Automatic Assault Rifle of the game.... and It is beautifully accurate.

Lets just say... I have 1 shot at you... depending on who saw who first, the reaction time and ping delay... I still have a chance... but if I miss... I am beyond dead.

I will NOT deny the fact that if I Do kill you with a good shot... I WILL Pickup you're STG... I am a BIG feild scavenger.

I am not really saying that the bolt is BETTER... Every gun is excellent at its job.
But I do think the Bolt Rifles are MORE rewarding when you kill multiple people one after the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I only use the StG44, MG42, and the bolt actions for my daily killing.

And just fyi, real men don't use bayonets. Real men bash their enemies' skulls in with a rifle butt.

I'd like to add something to that: "Real men drop their ammo first then proceed to bash their enemies skulls in";) :D
Though I must say that the sound of the bayonet digging in is quite pleasing:) - Too bad you can't twist it...

Upvote 0
But I do think the Bolt Rifles are MORE rewarding when you kill multiple people one after the other.
well spoken! :cool:

Get 2 SMGs, flip one upside down, tape them together (top-to-top), and when you fire, fire them both at the same time. No recoil at all.:D
GREAT IDEA! why havent anybody it invented yet? :confused:

Upvote 0
I just wanted to express my love to the Bolt Rifle.

I started playing Red Orchestra with an smg... I HATED the bolt rifle...
Despised the bolt telling myself it ****s...

With time (and also a new 24" monitor)

I started getting soso with the bolt...

Now... I can say I am rather decent with the bolt...

Now that I can kill Multiple people inside or outside without getting killed with the bolt... I say...

The Bolt Class is The Best Class...
Funnest class.... its just SOOOO FUN TO STAB TOO

I have to admit that if you do not have a good resolution, and an old 17" monitor... the bolt isnt the best because its harder to pick off those long shots... (In those cases, you might have more fun getting very good at smg straffing hip shooting to clear out anything 5 meters away from you)

But you know you have Finally gotten good at the game, when you drop you're PPSH41 for a Kar98 on LyesKrovy.

Long live the primitive accurate weapon !

The bolt is the first thing you master after that you can really master the other weapons you need the bolt first. Mastering the other weapons is alot harder. Although i never went to learn and master any other weapon since the bolt is simply too much fun :D

Upvote 0
There was a guy in Berezina last night that would solo drive a halftrack up into the trenches and start his Rambo routine. Sure, he killed a few people but without backup he wasn't helping his team at all.

Every weapon has it's place. I almost always play with a bolt because I enjoy it, not because I think it's better. My other favorites would be the STG and the SVT.

maybe his team wasnt helping him???

Upvote 0
I have an opposite testament to the quality of this game: When I played other WWII fps games like COD, I was a bolt-only adherent, because I hated how easy it was to run and gun with the smg classes and I felt more challenged and rewarded by the bolt-action rifles. It makes you feel like Robert Deniro in The Deerhunter.

With RO, however, I use a lot of variety. Bolt is still a lot of fun, but this game makes every weapon fun, challenging, and rewarding to use. Now I use bolt probably only 1/3 of the time, often when I have to because I missed out on the other classes (but I am never disappointed by this) Before RO I always turned my nose up at all the SMG-carrying rabble. Not any more.

Many people complain about the recoil on the SMGs. I don't understand this. Have these people watched the training videos? The SMG in the training video has virtually no recoil...why? because the demonstrator is dragging back on the mouse as he fires, and the video teaches us so. This simulates the trained muscular steadying of the weapon IRL, and is part of the game version of the weapon's design, so that the use of the SMGs in the game requires some learning of a skill to use adequately. I have no hands-on familiarity with any of the weapons in this game. But what I do know is that excessive recoil, unless it is related to a bug that needs fixing (we have already seen one recoil bug-fix), is not an inexorable reality; all you have to do to "fix" the recoil is learn the mousing skill that goes along with the weapon you have chosen. Is this too much to ask in a game like RO, that people have to do a little more to use a weapon effectively? At risk of being attacked for saying so, to complain about non-bug-related recoil on the SMGs in this game is a little like complaining about the lack of crosshairs. It's just part of the game design to add a little more finesse to the use of the weapon.

Upvote 0
It's all situational. I pick whatever weapon will keep my ass alive in the situation. I let SMGers charge houses when I'm using a bolt (unless no one's doing it), and I let riflemen fight at range if I'm using an SMG.

Use your weapon to its best advantage and don't try to shoehorn it into a role for which it is not intended.

No single weapon in this game is the "Best" weapon. It's more a question of "best for the job at hand." Long range, gimme a boltie. Short range gimme an SMG. Denial of avenues of attack, gimme an MG. Clearing an avenue of attack of MGs, gimme a sniper rifle. Versatility, gimme the semi-autos or the StG.

But really, it's just a question of what's the right tool for the job and then playing your game to take full advantage of that tool.

Upvote 0
Five bucks says that from close to meduim/long range, my stg would OWN you any day of the week. of course, playing since beta 1.0 and playing with the stg since it was out helps. no thanks buddy, i'll stick with my stg.. you have fun with that bolt. one more person that can say "WTF HAX" when i long range them with my single shot.

Heh, STG takes 2 shots, Bolt takes 1 to drop an opponent. Its happened tons of times in Konigsplatz in medium to long range, and my trusty bolt never fails me.

Upvote 0
Oh man, I had the greatest shot tonight.

Sgt. Steiner was shooting at me from the courtyard walls in Kaukasus, and I was running past the Tower Ruins.

I decided to just randomly shoot at him, no ironsights, no nothing - while running.

Keep in mind, this is right next to the fence right in front of the Tower.

I killed him.

+1 for the internets.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to express my love to the Bolt Rifle.

I started playing Red Orchestra with an smg... I HATED the bolt rifle...
Despised the bolt telling myself it ****s...

With time (and also a new 24" monitor)

I started getting soso with the bolt...

Now... I can say I am rather decent with the bolt...

Now that I can kill Multiple people inside or outside without getting killed with the bolt... I say...

The Bolt Class is The Best Class...
Funnest class.... its just SOOOO FUN TO STAB TOO

I have to agree with you. For a while I was heavy on playing any class but the rifleman one. This normally meant me playing as a semi-auto rifleman which is always fun, but I have been playing the rifleman class on even smaller levels and I have improved greatly just in the last two weeks.

Rifleman class leads the way.

Upvote 0