• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Long range infantary maps

On average combat took place at ranges less than 500m. Can you actually expect to engage an enemy that you need binculars to see to even fire at?

WHAT?!?!

Where is your source for that?
I would be extremely surprised if you can verify that!

In games combat usually takes place in ~500m ranges, but that is far from the case IRL.
Artillery was by far the biggest combat killer anyway and that is almost never below 1k.

Upvote 0
"Statistical studies of World War II battles performed by the U.S. Army revealed that infantry combat beyond 300 meters (325 yards) was rare. The Russians saw no reason to make a rifle that shot beyond a rifleman's ability to aim. Therefore, a lighter, less-powerful cartridge could be effective." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Granted, it's Wikipedia but I remember seeing this elsewhere as the reason why they invented rifles which fired smaller caliber rounds, therefore I looked up "assault rifle" and lo' and behold there it was.

Upvote 0
WHAT?!?!

Where is your source for that?
I would be extremely surprised if you can verify that!

In games combat usually takes place in ~500m ranges, but that is far from the case IRL.
Artillery was by far the biggest combat killer anyway and that is almost never below 1k.

If you are refering long range maps like in Operation Flashpoint, which can't be compared becouse it is modern combat game and there is optics in almost every weapon there. I think this game has good maps with enough range. You can't recognize targets with long range and there is always your team mates fighting in close ranges with enemy, so you really can't shoot long ranges.

Machine guns effective range is 1000m not anykind of insane 3500m. Where have you got that information?

Play BeachAssault and see for yourself, you can only hit somewhere with rifle and MG, SMG is useless until enemy have reached bunker area. Artillery range is about 10-40 km not 1 km and artillery is never in combat area.

In WWII effective range for SMGs was below 200m and infantry was allways avoiding open areas. Combat often took place in areas with much cover, so you could not shoot long ranges. There wasn't so many openfield battles in WWII, like it was in WWI, lesson was learned, cover was crucial for victory in infantry combat. And if there was open area combat, there was allways tanks and lots of them covering infantry, becouse infantry don't advance alone in open areas in WWII, that was suicidal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Machine guns effective range is 1000m not any kind of insane 3500m. Where have you got that information?

The effective range of the MG42 is 500m direct fire and 3500m indirect fire according to http://homepage.eircom.net/~nightingale/mg42.html

"indirect fire" usually refers to use with optics and a tripod for long range suppression or in anti-aircraft roles.

Wiki and several other casual sites give the range as 1000m

This site gives the range as 2000m http://www.olive-drab.com/od_other_firearms_mg_mg34mg42.php

Wiki gives the effective range of the MG3 (basicaly a MG42 that fires standard NATO rounds) as 800 m (bipod) 500 m (mounted) and a maximum of 3750 m

None of these figures can be trusted as none of them seam to come from any testing of the MG42.
I draw the conclusions that the effective range of the MG42 as a light MG (with bi pod and iron sights) is between 500m and 1000m and between 1000m and 3500m with tripod and optics.

So, yes, the LMG is RO is not suited to range over 1000m as I said in my first post.
However when you consider that the Maximum view distance on Orel is 1000m you can see that most infantry maps donut get anywhere neer that.

Upvote 0
Why do you need long range infantry maps? MG fire is quite useless at ranges above 500m, you need optics to be accurate beoynd 500m. This would not be intense WWII combat game then anymore, where everybody is searching enemies for long ranges. Not good. How long range infantry maps could be actually playable in WWII setup? Even in modern combat game Operation Flashpoint your visual max range is about 1000m, becouse long range maps eats your CPU performance for a lunch, breakfast and dinner, that means lag and lot of lag.

Upvote 0
Indirect fire is shooting at targets that you can't see because they're beyond that hill over yonder. Direct fire is shooting at targets you can actually see.

The 8mm Mauser drops several feet at 500 yards. Shooting at those ranges or anything beyond should be strictly for snipers. And that's if they have their scopes zeroed for those ranges.

(Not that I wouldn't like a good, large infantry map. Just that actually shooting at those distances is almost a waste of ammo.)

Upvote 0
"Statistical studies of World War II battles performed by the U.S. Army revealed that infantry combat beyond 300 meters (325 yards) was rare. The Russians saw no reason to make a rifle that shot beyond a rifleman's ability to aim. Therefore, a lighter, less-powerful cartridge could be effective." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Granted, it's Wikipedia but I remember seeing this elsewhere as the reason why they invented rifles which fired smaller caliber rounds, therefore I looked up "assault rifle" and lo' and behold there it was.

Exactly. This was one of the reason for the introduction of the StG44.

But really, large maps like Berezina and Makhnovo are great and all, but no one will be firing at ranges in excess of 1km! That's insane with iron sights.

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure. If a squad opend fire on me at 1000m I would take it very seriously and find cover quickly.

What kind of squad would open MG fire at 1000m range, nothing but waste of ammo. That would be only used for suppression and if you have lot of ammo to spare.

No reasonable infantry soldiers would be fighting in 1000m wide open fields without tank and artillery support, not even in WWII.

Upvote 0
Atleast give more intelligent AI squad members, not stupid bots who don't obey commands and don't do nothing, then we can have large maps with enough cannon fodder. I don't want many maps where 90% of time you have search for enemies and march and march and march... maybe it could be more realistic but usually players only want to play that 10% of time when you make contact with enemy. I like 90% of maps to be medium range under 500m maps and maybe 10% or less infantry maps with range 1km above where you can wander around and search for enemies. This thread really should be posted to mod section as well.

Upvote 0
If a squad opened up on me at 1000m, I'd tell my troops to spread out (probably because the enemy squad is using volley fire or the equivalent), and keep moving forward using cover.

Enfield rifles fielded by the Brits had what were known as volley sights, which I think went out to like 1000m, but the WAY you actually shot at that range is to practically aim your gun up in the air. You're just putting lead down range at that angle, not really aiming at specific targets. Besides, if you sighted an enemy at 1000m and shot, chances are he'd have moved by the time your rounds got to him. That kind of fire is only going to be really useful against massed troop formations.

That's more WWI enagements rather than WWII. And just because the MG42 CAN operate at 3500m doesn't mean it WAS used at those ranges.

Plus, like I said, our sights are not adjustable. Aiming at an enemy that far away would be damn-near impossible in-game and an almost guaranteed miss.

Upvote 0