• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Screen going black instead of blur...

... which does nothing.

Screen blurring - One of those small things which made me play RO.

It's really nice and adds simulation effect to gameplay, but not after it's switched off.

This substitute effect when screen is fading to black really does nothing. People often turn it off to gain advantage over the enemy and suppression fire does nothing then (It's even possible to continue aiming even if artillery is exploding next to the player).

However I understand the people who can't switch screen blurring on because of system specs, so my idea is to make screen fade to WHITE instead of black.

Many games used such an effect when there was no advanced shaders (CS is the best example) and it worked good. Where the idea to change screen to black came from anyway? Blackouts are good for aircraft simulators ;-)

And if devs (and/or community) don't want to change it to white, just increase the black amount, or make it to work like a "shock", so screen turns 100% (or at last 90%) black for a very small amount of time, and then it regresses as it does now.

I know it has been discussed, but I couldn't find anyone talking about replacing black to white.

PS. Screen blurring should be increased (in terms of lenght) also (after shoots, explosions are ok).

... which does nothing.

Screen blurring - One of those small things which made me play RO.

It's really nice and adds simulation effect to gameplay, but not after it's switched off.

This substitute effect when screen is fading to black really does nothing. People often turn it off to gain advantage over the enemy and suppression fire does nothing then (It's even possible to continue aiming even if artillery is exploding next to the player).

However I understand the people who can't switch screen blurring on because of system specs, so my idea is to make screen fade to WHITE instead of black.

Many games used such an effect when there was no advanced shaders (CS is the best example) and it worked good. Where the idea to change screen to black came from anyway? Blackouts are good for aircraft simulators ;-)

And if devs (and/or community) don't want to change it to white, just increase the black amount, or make it to work like a "shock", so screen turns 100% (or at last 90%) black for a very small amount of time, and then it regresses as it does now.

I know it has been discussed, but I couldn't find anyone talking about replacing black to white.

PS. Screen blurring should be increased (in terms of lenght) also (after shoots, explosions are ok).

making your screen turn black IS WAAAAAY WORSE than the blur....

Seriously with blur you can still clearly see the enemies if they are closeby and atleast you can genrally see you're walking to cover with blackening you just see nothing at all but a black screen :\. All the people that use the blackening complain about the motion blur people that they can still see people at range. And all the people complain about the blackening option....

On my old machine, there was no effect from artillery or MG fire because my card did not support shaders. That really made a difference in gameplay.

that was probably of the time of the bug where the blackening didn't work accidently. Now be happy you can run motion blur.

Upvote 0
I use screen blackout instead of blurring, becouse blurring increases motion sickness for me. With blackout, suppression fire is much more effective, you can't see anything but black when you are suppressed and you really notice when bullets are hitting near you. With blur it is much easier to fire back, becouse you see target, though blurred.

Upvote 0
So why I can see everything when I'm under fire if I set blurring to off?

I'm playing on increased gamma (+0.1 or something like this), but it shouldn't matter that much.

But if I set blurring to ON I'm very confused after each shoot, because even if the blurring is minimal I can't see sharp (including crosshair, so distant shoots are very hard to do)

And about those closing eyes:

If bullets are passing by your head, do you close your eyes?
This simulated effect is not about closing eyes, but making a player's life harder.

I focused on white because I believe it can do it's job better than black (but perhaps increasing blackening can do the job also).
If you don't know what I mean, try to lower the gamma massively and then increase it the same way. You'll get the point.

Upvote 0