• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Snipers: I don't miss them

Also bear in mind that your utility on the field is not solely determined by your kill/death ratio. Even if you're "stuck with a bolt" you can still do things that are VERY useful to your team.

Here's a few suggestions:

- Get your ass in the cap zone to capture/hold it. You don't have to kill the enemy, just capture the zone.

- Find and stick with your team's MG. Resupply him when he's fired off two or three magazines. Keep him covered in the meantime and watch his flanks.

- Go on defense. It's a HELL of a lot easier to use a boltie when you're stationary, dug in, and presenting a low profile to the enemy. Find a nice spot, hunker down, and start firing at the enemy.

- Provide covering fire for the assault troopers. Fire in the general direction of the enemy from mid-to-long range and try to make them keep their heads down while your buddies rush them.

- Fix bayonet and get good at stabbing people.

- Provide grenade support. On some maps, the SMG class has no grenades -- only the basic rifleman does. You can shake up, disorient, or kill the enemy while supporting an SMGer.

Upvote 0
90% of the time you just have to move slightly and the snipers will miss you. People with the best rigs are generally those who work more and dont play games as much, therefore they load into maps quicker and take the sniper rifle as every noob thinks its cool.
It does my head in when a useless sniper cannot seem to understand that his priority is the MG42 or the STG wielding maniac blocking off an entire corridor and thus owning the russian wave attempting to actually win the map, usually in this scenario you will see your sniper in a position with a low field of vision sniping a guy who dared shoot luger rounds in his general direction from 200 metres away.

Upvote 0
I'll never be really afraid of a Sniper unless he has respectable clan tags, and or I know him from previous play. Usually the class is picked by a noob with a fast rig. While he has the sniper, I'll usually get 5 to 6 times as many points (kills/caps) then him. I find the iron sites to be easier to use, because you have peripheral vision. I hate the confinement of the sniper scope.

Although it's fun to be german sniper on Odessa or StalinKessel. In those maps a good sniper can shut down entire sides of the maps, if they have a couple guys in support.

Upvote 0
Snipers are my favourite role tbh. just because ro sniping is the only releastic sniping, making it the best, as you all know cs and cod sniping 1m kills in front of you, just stupid.

Its just the effect to dominate, once you find your spot your on fire :D.

But whats great fun is hunting down enemy snipers, that great.

Upvote 0
A good player shouldnt need to have a sniper to wreak havoc on the enemy. On maps like odessa I effectivly function as the team sniper with a regular bolt. With that I mean that I am able to take out the enemy sniper and mg's and whatever else might be in sight. Of course it is easier with a scoped rifle though, but I only have 512mb ram, so I never get the sniper unless the sniper leaves the game. Last time I was sniper was as a german on Basovka, when the guys at the other team starts yelling to their sniper to take you out you know you are doing a good job

Upvote 0
SWEET !!!

I have Finally, gotten TKed for a Sniper Rifle !!!

Joined Danzig yesterday, took rifleman...

2 min later, I am looking for another class. I see Sniper Open.
Take the SVT because its danzig :)

Rush east, take a right to the building, go upstairs, I see friendlies and tell myself... "Nice, I will not get shot in the back... I got people who can cover the area from germans"

I position myself at the window looking thru the entire road.
Rest my gun... ready to cause havoc to the germans...

BANG => TKED

I see a sorry.... but... That is an OBVIOUS TK for Sniper rifle considering... there was more then 1 russian, and I get tked by the BACK... Pfff

Tkers for weapons should really go buy BF2... they offer plenty of pay for booster packs giving you weapons people who dont pay can use...
You can TK Galore all you want and you will feel right at home.

Upvote 0
For my part, the primary role of the sniper is to pick off entrenched troops and MGs (and the other teams sniper, of course). Using the sniper to lock down an area is quite hard if you're facing a team that's not acting like plucked chicken; if there's 2-3 enemies charging your position of passing your area then you're screwed. The MG is much better to use as area denial (especiallt after the last patch :-D ).

Upvote 0
The sniper rifle is a specialized tool that's very good at doing a particular job. That job happens to be popular with people because, I believe, it requires relatively little effort to do (find a sneaky spot, get comfy, pick people off). GOOD snipers try to lock down advance routes, or pick off people locking down advances. Less helpful snipers just camp and shoot at random people for the "DOOOD!!! I F-IN KILLED JOO!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH" thrill.

Thing is, as you start to get used to the other weapons, you start to figure out that they're ALL good at doing their job. You just have to be willing to use them in a way that lets you perform instead of, for example, trying to storm trenches with a bolt action rifle (when an SMG would be better) or try to pick people off at long range with an SMG.

if only i could find a way to tell my brother this, he tries to play like a smger with his bolt all the time and usualy ends up saying " i cant work with this FKIN *************************-(buncha dumb swears) bolt action , i need a smgs, bolts are ****". an theres me lookin at him sayin "wtf are you nuts", " you just dont use it right", and he ususally responds "no bolts are just ****!". at which point i hit tab and show him my second or first best person in server score and tell him in using a rifle.....

Upvote 0
I haven't played sniper since I bought the game (about a month ago). I usually avoid picking it with the hope that someone who is better than me will use it. I don't really like it to begin with, you get this very vulnerable feeling when an enemy gets past your sights.

Besides, if I really want to snipe, I'll go hunt down the enemy sniper and take his rifle. That's always an enjoyable challenge, earning yourself a token.

Upvote 0
I haven't played sniper since I bought the game (about a month ago). I usually avoid picking it with the hope that someone who is better than me will use it. I don't really like it to begin with, you get this very vulnerable feeling when an enemy gets past your sights.

Besides, if I really want to snipe, I'll go hunt down the enemy sniper and take his rifle. That's always an enjoyable challenge, earning yourself a token.
Same here, even i have played the mod days. Sniper position is the hardest and is dedicated to veteran riflemen, those who are one shot equals one kill, those who knows the old tricks(where to hide, etc...)
If there is a good sniper in the opposite team, AVOID HIM, they like to kill the good players because they are even better.

Upvote 0
Good snipers are vital. You can easily more kills then a quarter of your team put together (kills not score btw) and hardly ever die. Offensive snipers take out all the tricky mgs from far so that they don't have to rush through a chokepoint to nade the mger and most likely die
If you want to see an awesome sniper Fullmj|Dcode is the best imo:D

Upvote 0
Snipers a nice class as they all are but used in the correct manner.

I only bother trying for it on a map when i can find some very long range snipeing spots across the map to cover the objectives.

Anything closer than that i just prefer the bolt.

Got a new G5 mouse the other day and OMG the tenflon plastic stuff is soo smooth, i can track targets pritty much pixel perfect now, no jumpyness.

Upvote 0
Since they brought in the M44, my combat effectiveness has just skyrocketed. Dunno why.

Probably something about the less confined sight hood—my biggest gripe about the rifles in RO is that they all have hooded front sights, and I've growned used to eared sights in real life.

When I start getting tired, I start showing recoil flinch (???) in RO. Weird as hell.

Upvote 0
Snipers = scumm.
I really, really detest these cowards.
They hide in little corners and kill without actually getting into battle-range.
Bloody cowards that's what they are.
Even if you manage to get up close the bastard still has a pistol which can be very effective against a rifleman from up close.

I'm also very curious what kind of players choose this cowards-role. They might be players who lack a certain courage to face things in normal life too :p

Face me like a man and try to kill me then :D

Monk.

Upvote 0
I'm also very curious what kind of players choose this cowards-role. They might be players who lack a certain courage to face things in normal life too :p

Face me like a man and try to kill me then :D
I choose it sometimes. Just like I choose the other classes, all depending on what I want to play then and there. If I am a coward for playing sniper, you are a retard for saying inane things like this.

Upvote 0