• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Fishing Thread

I always wanted to go to the Florida Keys and fish for bonefish, that always looked so exciting, especially when the sharks chase your fish!

When I was younger, around 12 years old I was trolling for trout in a small lake with my dad. I got a hit and started realing in and it was putting up one hell of a fight, I thought it was a big bass or a huge trout. As I was getting it in I saw it come up to the surface and it was a Northern Pike! Wow, what a fight! When we got him to the boat my dad put the net in, which is a mistake, you need to keep the net in the water before it gets there to prevent spooking it. Well when it saw the net SHRING, my line is flying off the spool at 100 mph. It took me 30+ minutes to reel him in. Turns out he was 36 inches long and 12 pounds.

Upvote 0
Considering that this game is about war fishing is a strange thing.

I assume people went fishing during WW2, and if they didnt, there was a Podium just like this one where they could discuss things that were deemed by some to be Off Topic. Only, it was owned by the Bill Gates Al Gore partnership.

Oh yeah, I love to fish. I mostly bank fish for Catfish, but, I have been fishing every since I could remember and always had a boat to go in until a couple years ago when my dad lost intrerest. Now, I basically fish for the peace and quiet, and beer. I could give a damn if I catch anything.

Upvote 0
BuddyLee I'm more or less in the same area as you, except I'm not as into fishing as I used to be.

I first started tying flies when I was about 10, I built my own fishing rod a year later (with the help of a local fly shop, of course). Has anybody ever heard of the Patuxent Special? It's a famous fly here in the mid-atlantic region. The guy who made it helped me build my rod. Unfortunately the store went out of business and I lost contact with them.

I fish for trout via flyfishing, and panfish with normal spinning tackle. I love catching sunfish, crappie, and bass.

I have not heard of that fly pattern. Its been over five years since I last fly fished. I used to float tube a lot,(too old now... need a boat:eek:) so whenever there was a chance for top water action, I would throw a 'Daves Diving Frog' ,'Wiggle Legs Frog' or varying colors of your standard 'Bass Bug'.

I came up with my own pattern, it is a Bluegill pattern, made with spun deer-hair and some chicken breast feathers. I tie it at a 45 degree angle (skewed on the hook shank) so when it is twitched, it flounders on the surface mimicking a troubled bait fish. I caught a nice large mouth bass on my first cast. :)

Upvote 0
There is nothing better than catching a nice fish on your first cast of the day. Fishing is universally fun. I hosted an Italian student and I took him fishing at a farm pond near my house. He had never fished before. His first fish was a small large mouth and I could have sworn Gio was going to die from excitement. He later had a HUGE catfish on but it broke his line, I think he peed himself a little.:p

Upvote 0
gar-3.jpg

All done with traditional bows. Lucky b@stards.

Where the heck was this? I have never seen Gars that big!

Upvote 0
salt water fish taste better, i once caught a really big fish we went with a small boat it was so big it bend my hook lol almost lost it. :p

its a quite relaxing hobby.. btw we don't fish with rods but with paint cans, and we buy the fishin line seperately cuz the water is deeper , with regualr hooks and swivels and we actually fish with real bait not like you americans with lures.. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used to fish a lot with my grandpa when I was young, it was great. He taught me how to fish. Some of my best childhood memories involve going out fishing with my grandpa when he and my grandma used to take me on vacation on their boat.

The biggest fish I have ever caught was an - as we call it - a "snoek" - I see they call it "Northern Pike" in English. It was a bit bigger than this one:

800px-Esox_lucius.jpg

Great fish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_pike

I haven't been seriously fishing for years (couple of times this summer, not more), but I plan on going out fishing regularly again next year. My "fishing philosophy" is simple - put piece of bait on hook, cast and wait. I never really fish for a specific species or something, I just enjoy the relaxation and the excitement when I catch something.

Usually I catch these guys:

15305363891.jpg

I swear, those buggers swim everywhere!

And no, these are not my hands. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is nothing odd about fishing, fishing has went on for centuries!

One of my favorite bass lures ever was the clear medium sized "torpedo" that thing was DYNAMITE but they discontinued the clear one and came out with other colors and none of them were any good. I guess the clear body with the two black spots on the back made the bass curious as to what it actually was.

I used to, before I moved to CA. I don't know where to fish out here.

My faves were going after large or small mouth bass, didn't care which, with either a Rapala J7 in black/silver/white (that thing was a KILLER), or a Jitterbug just at sundown. Fishing surface lures in the gathering dark - loads of fun.

I love getting bass to hit just because they're curious or frustrated. Annoy 'em enough and you'll land one. :D

Best lure I ever had was this cheap plastic worm, black with a white stripe. I caught everything on that from little bluegills, bigger bass and finally a musky that bit through the lure and ruined it. I bought more like it, but none had the "mojo." If I could figure out exactly what it was about that particular lure, I could make a million bucks. It was a no-miss. Not getting hits? I'd toss that on and get SOMETHING.

Upvote 0
Folks say the next World Record Large Mouth will come out of the Delta. Around here some of the hot colors for me have been Ox- Blood, Motor Oil, Watermelon, Pumpkin Seed with or without a Chartreuse tail. I have had success with Yum's Creatures, and Yamamoto's lately.

I know of ponds north of Stanford off 280 that have huge bass, but other than there or the Delta I'm not too familiar with north bay fishin' spots.

Upvote 0