• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Binocs for BA64 gunner

Quietus

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
California
Title almost says it all. Since the BA64 was supposed to be used for reconnaissanse how about letting the BA64 gunner postion use binoculars so he can recon? Then maybe you'd have more people using it for it's intended purpose and more apt to report tank postions to friendlies etc to help em out. I know what some will say "who's going to want to drive around and report things, where's the reward in that?" Well I do sometimes, It's actually kinda fun if you don't feel like tanking at the moment but still want to be involved. Seems like It'd be super simple to do and even though many still would not care or use it some people would make use of it.

so then it would not only be a satchel carrier but also an arty carrier?
Hey that's a great idea! (wonder why I didn't think of that?:eek:)Yes or no. I'd prefer yes because (as I just only now checked) the BA64 was equipped with a radio in many cases, which is logical seeing as it's a reconnaissance vehcle. However it's best to just give Squad Leaders the ability to call in arty directly from the vehicle. Regular soldiers can still use the binoc function though.This might just eliminate the clown car fiasco especially since Squad leaders will WANT to use the BA64 now that they can call in arty strikes. Great Idea.

Upvote 0
Not that everything needs to be balanced but if we add this idea then the german panzerfuhrer should have the ability to call artillery strikes directly from his tank.
Hmm yeah that's kinda a problem. I think what would settle it once and for all is give the Germans their version of the "clown car" I know they had one but I don't know exactly what it was TBH. Right now the Russian transportation is completely covered as far as I'm concerned. Russians have the UC & BA64, Germans have the Halftrack which is the counter-part to the UC but have no BA64 counter-part. Germans need a recon vehicle. [EDIT] here it is: The Sdkfz 223. http://www.trackpads.net/tanks/sosfindlay/sd223.htm

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/d/sdkfz/sd221/02533.jpg

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks/d/sdkfz/sd221/02534.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great, then: we have a complete package that keeps the game balanced.

1. Add a German scout car.

2. Give scout-car gunners binoculars.

3. Allow squad leaders (and tank commanders) to call artillery from scout cars.

At worst, the Germans will get to play Grand Theft Auto: Ostfront like the Soviets. At best, people will start using scout cars for their intended purpose: scouting.

Upvote 0
At worst, the Germans will get to play Grand Theft Auto: Ostfront like the Soviets. At best, people will start using scout cars for their intended purpose: scouting.

coming, spring of 2007 from TW and Rockstar! Adding the Sdkfz 223 is a good idea, especially due to the sheer speed factor. The Russians have an edge on any map with the BA, simply because it can get a couple infantry into a cap zone in record time, which can make all the difference in capping / saving the objective.

Upvote 0
coming, spring of 2007 from TW and Rockstar! Adding the Sdkfz 223 is a good idea, especially due to the sheer speed factor. The Russians have an edge on any map with the BA, simply because it can get a couple infantry into a cap zone in record time, which can make all the difference in capping / saving the objective.

Let's not forget they usually get 2-3 of them so that is technically 6 super fast infantryman that can get to any danger zone that needs help really fast.

Upvote 0
So I take it this isn't an important issue or a good idea except to the half dozen guys who agree with me? I'm trying to think of ways to help make the game better, more fun and more realistic simutaneously but all my suggestions seem to fade into obscurity. Ah well....I guess it's time for me to cease with the radical brainstorming. I guess most people like using the clowncar as a Jihad satchel dispenser and battle taxi rather than what it's supposed to be used for.

Upvote 0
OMG!

If they put that german clowncar in the game I can handbrake drift with it!!! The Russian clowncar blows at drifting, it's too top-heavy XD

I can just imagine myself popping over a hill in a clowncar and finding all these tanks in the valley who're moving towards us...the cmdr tell me to stop, he takes the arty coordinates, tell me to GTFO there, and I do a J-turn and speed off before the tanks can get me...

Daydreaming again :eek:

But yeah, I agree with you Quietus, the recon vehicles should allow arty and stuff. Gives em a purpose other than being the Russian's very own version of the Iranians' patented Car Bomb.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the support. It's just a shame to me the lack of interest as it seems like a great idea that would solve (or at least minimize) many problems like: #1 Jihad Satchel Clowns/taxi cab, #2 pre-stashed artillery radios in areas that the corresponding team has yet to be/capture. BA64 would be something to be feared and respected and actively hunted greatly increasing the strategic possiblities (and realism) rather than what it currently is which is a jokemobile.

Upvote 0
I think that binocs should be able to use only classes that have it; and set artillery coordinates only commander class.

Alos I think that prevent gamey style playing (saper+BA) there should be separated class for armored car (tank crew or armored car crew) This prevent also using car as taxi (its not realistic role) Though Universal Carrier can be used by all classes.

Upvote 0
I think that binocs should be able to use only classes that have it; and set artillery coordinates only commander class.
That's totally reasonable, that'd be fine with me as long as the BA64 could be used for it's intended purpose.

Alos I think that prevent gamey style playing (saper+BA) there should be separated class for armored car (tank crew or armored car crew) This prevent also using car as taxi (its not realistic role) Though Universal Carrier can be used by all classes.
Yeah I was thinking about that too, that would assure it's intended use 100%. Maybe have "recon officers" that can work singley (recon officer uses both driver & gunner position to spot & call in artillery. Or they could work in pairs (one drives, other in gunner position and when officer in gunner position spots a target the driver radios it in).

Upvote 0
Hey that's a great idea! (wonder why I didn't think of that?:eek:)Yes or no. I'd prefer yes because (as I just only now checked) the BA64 was equipped with a radio in many cases, which is logical seeing as it's a reconnaissance vehcle. However it's best to just give Squad Leaders the ability to call in arty directly from the vehicle. Regular soldiers can still use the binoc function though.This might just eliminate the clown car fiasco especially since Squad leaders will WANT to use the BA64 now that they can call in arty strikes. Great Idea.

and i hope you know that every German tank had a radio?

Upvote 0