• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thinking about buying RO...

Hello. I was looking around games from Steam and RO caught my eye. I watched videos and read a few things about it and it intrigued me. I still have some questions though. First of all, is there a large communilty that plays the game? I know it came out a little while ago and I just wanted to make sure before I buy it, that alot of people still are playing it. Also I know you drive tanks, but are there any other vehicles you can drive, and if so what purposes can they serve? And do many people use tactics well (like artillary fire an enemy stronghold then surround it by tanks)? Cause in other games, like counter strike, its hard to get everyone working together in unison cause the game isn't exactly made for tactics lol.

Anyway I hope to get the game soon. And thanks in advance for your answers! :D

-Nic

the game is made for tactics and teamwork, however as of recent theres been many newbies pouring in still holding fast to their " i am a lone wolf, noone can help me, and i will never follow orders" motto. its not as bad if you go by a clan server and fine 5-10 guys on mics, then the fun starts as your entire team starts working like one. once youve had one of those experiences youl be hooked on this game like never before on any other game.

as to tank combat, basicaly there are larger open maps where you can blast at other tanks, while capturing ground in order to win the match.

realism of infantry combat is about 9.5/10 with some small things that still need to be worked out, (some smgs have a tad to much kick)

realsim of tank combat is about 7.5/10 , with lots of goodies in there, but german tanks are rather nerfed as the teams are set to even, instead of a 2/3 ballance.

en short, i would say to buy the game if you want to work with your team, if you prefer less "lone wolfing", and a truly more challanging game.

some reasons not to buy the game would be that you are attached at the hip with crosshairs and not willing to change, this game has no crosshairs and will be a bit more challenging to get used to because of that fact.

( i would say just buy the darn thing because this is the only game where ive played against the game makers and chatted with them on forums AND, this game has by far the most mature community ever)

Upvote 0
Wow thats good. I am all for teamwork and maturity. I like to play online games with friends too so since this is based around teamwork this sounds like the game I am looking for :)

Thanks for your info. It was very helpful. See ya on the battlefield soon. :)

Also just to clarify, the community is big right? I just want to make sure, cause it'd be a shame to come in and see like only 10 servers out of 300 in use for example.

Upvote 0
The community is plenty big. I've never NOT had a server to play on. The game encourages and rewards teamwork by design, and a well coordinated team will win over a bunch of loners. If you're in a kinda rough game though (happens in every game, I think you know what I mean) where nothing is going right, it's still possible to do your own thing 'in the general flow of the map' and have it work out in the end.

Upvote 0
Hello. I was looking around games from Steam and RO caught my eye. I watched videos and read a few things about it and it intrigued me. I still have some questions though. First of all, is there a large communilty that plays the game? I know it came out a little while ago and I just wanted to make sure before I buy it, that alot of people still are playing it. Also I know you drive tanks, but are there any other vehicles you can drive, and if so what purposes can they serve? And do many people use tactics well (like artillary fire an enemy stronghold then surround it by tanks)? Cause in other games, like counter strike, its hard to get everyone working together in unison cause the game isn't exactly made for tactics lol.

Anyway I hope to get the game soon. And thanks in advance for your answers! :D

-Nic

The community is fairly big, but it depends on your location. I'm from Australia and as it is there are only four or five servers (which fill up in the evenings.), this is mostly because RO hasn't been released in shops yet, only on Steam. Even so there's a pretty strong core of regular players already established here. :)

While there are some "lone-wolf" gamers, I've found most people to be cooperative and helpful. I can also vouch for claims that the RO community is more mature than average, for I haven't been accused of cheating once, in COD that was a near-daily occurance... :rolleyes:

And to answer your question about vehicles, there's basically tanks and transports, transports are armored cars and halftracks that infantry can use.

Upvote 0
The community is fairly big, but it depends on your location. I'm from Australia and as it is there are only four or five servers (which fill up in the evenings.), this is mostly because RO hasn't been released in shops yet, only on Steam. Even so there's a pretty strong core of regular players already established here. :)

Well, thats a slight overstatement Matty. Yes, we have 5 or so servers, but only 1 will fill up at any point in time which in my eyes is a crying shame!

Pretty much why I started austactical.com to try and fill that niche.

Upvote 0
Don't believe the fanboys.

Don't believe the fanboys.

Some of the fan boys are straight lying to people about the amount of servers available. During the day the server count is ok, but the later it gets into the night the servers drop down to maybe one or two that are full. Right now it is 2:17 am and I see one server that is full with real players. The next best server is 1/2 full with players and after that it is a hand full of servers with a hand full of players and bots on each server. I also think that people should be told that the "Simulation-level armored vehicle combat" is a little misleading. Again tonight I watched Tiger 88 shells bounce repeatedly off T34s and SU76s at less than 500m. Many times with the T34 or Su76 destroying the Tiger. A T34 bouncing an 88 shell of it 5 times in a row at less than 500m is not very "realistic". I also saw a Universal Carrier have a Panthers shot bounce of it. I don't think people should be misinformed.

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra's community is ever growing, I saw on Gamestats that there were over 2000 people playing at that time. So I can roughly say that RO has a 10,000 big community. There is no need to buy the game in a rush as we are still sorting out bugs and adding new content.

But buy if you must. Compared to other games on Steam that are not made by Valve, we are the fastest growing. Because alot of people want a change from all that arcady ****.

Upvote 0
Its called Fiends of the Eastern Front: Operation Vampyr. The author is David Bishop. Basically its about Germans teaming up with the Romainians to capture Russia.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiends-Eastern-Front-Operation-Vampyr/dp/1844162745

Theres a link to it on Amazon. Its the first book of a trilogy by Bishop actually, I just started on the second book. Its a very good read. :)

P.S. The link disappeared when I tried to copy and paste it, so if it doesn't work/appear you can just google David Bishop's name to find out more about the trilogy.

Upvote 0
Ah ok thanks guys. That was only my main concern. Gosh I'm excited now lol. Thank you guys for everyone's help. I couldn't have found a better time to discover this game too because I am currently reading a book about the German/Russian conflict.

Thank you guys again for your help. Much appreciated :)

-Nic

Its a great game but be warned... IT IS VERY DIFFERENT.

More then you can expect... More then I expected... and I was also excited.

When I started playing it... I ****ed... I was barely able to kill anything...
Getting your first kill (against a human) takes a bit of time.

But once you catch on to how you must play...
Rush, take cover (prone and just slightly look over the direction you need to go at... either pick people off, look around for your next cover.
Keep rushing untill you are in a CAP Zone... then the team with more players in the cap zone will capture it.
Cap zones are rather large unlike bf2 (around a flag) so you can have 10vs10 in a capzone... those can be rather intense.

Once you go thru a few of those wars, manage to kill a few and capture the zone... you are addicted.

But dont expect to jump in a server and start "TeH Pawnzorz" because ... there is a big existing learning curve.

(That makes the game very addictive and rewarding)

Upvote 0
Nic, make my day!! Tell him the name of a book he's never heard of ;) :p :D Make one up even, just to mess with his head - something like, "Knights of Iron: Memoirs of a Soviet tank commander 1941-45" ISBN 1234567-3221

It's easy enough to do. Like, I'd bet $5 he's never seen this:
"On the Road to Innsbruck and Back," by William B. Bache. Or there's "General Hermann Balck: An Interview" .

It's amazing what you can dig up when you search a self-publishing house. =)

Upvote 0
Buy the game!, log in, pull up the volyme of your speakers, warn your neighbourghs, find a server with a lot of people on, spawn in, and the sound alone will blast you away and make your heart beats faster (at least mine do but maybe I got a health problem hehe).

Even as a so called lone wolf it's an very cool experience to spawn up together as a bunch of others and see them run forward towards the enemy with tracers bouncing all over and artillery fire landing all around you!

I have played all ww2 games known to mankind and this is the one that really rock my world.

To bad I can barely hit a barnwall with my Schmeisser mp40 but with cold nerves, a low profile and good friendly players it's a blast anyway hehe.

I call myself Alfred Kalb or Krickebein in the field and I hope I'll see you there soon!

Upvote 0