• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The new German tank camouflage really works.

I agree with the thread title- the new German camo is GREAT. I played Soviets last night on Arad, and even with such short distances it was hard to pick out the German tanks against the treeline.

As for the Pz4 skirts making a difference, it's hard for me to tell- I rarely use a PTRD so I defer to those players' comments. For main gun damage, though, I don't see any improvement in protection. The BIGGEST change I've seen for the new Pz4's though, is that they get mistaken for Tigers a LOT, which can either be a curse or a blessing; tanks get out of their way faster, or they pile on. Take your pick. Two nights ago on Black Day, a call came out that six Tigers were on Forward South- you can imagine the scrambling to get up a blocking force together. It turned out, of course, to be TWO Tigers and FOUR new Pz4's (still nothing to sneeze at) but it took almost everything we had off of other fields to go and be ready; it almost cost us the entire battle.

IS-2's not as powerful? No difference from what I have seen. It's still a big, slow tank with a big, slow gun- might as well call it a 'Tigerski'.

Upvote 0
I may be wrong but i thing i keep getting hit on the schurzen from the front, but its hitting the backside of the shurzen and killing the entire tank when irl it would just causs that side of the shurzen to be ripped open or destroyed.
On the front of the H the shurzens stick out a little.

A round hits the backside of the schurzen and kills the whole tank

Am i on to something here or have i taken one two many hits off my tinfoil crackpipe?

panzer4h09td0.jpg

Upvote 0
I played Arad yesterday and I have to say, it was amazing. I don't know if something did change but me & 2/3/4 other tanks were actually working together. It was phenomenal as 2 of us had Panthers. I don't know if it was because I hadn't done a tank map in a little while that made it so great, but my shots were great (yes I had some bouncers at one point, and I was killed head on by an IS-2)

It was genuinely a good fight, and it just felt better.
I did notice not being spotted straight off by every russian tank that came over the horizon.

And for a real mans aircraft, please see the MiG 3...That is all.

I'm yet to use the PzIV H, will try testing that with some chums later.

Upvote 0
The reason the IS-2 seems nurfed is they fixed the bugs in the Armor penatration system where some shots would be seen as rear or side hits when they were not. Thus the German Armor becomes more effective at lasting through the hard tank battles. IE I have seen many times now shots from T-34s bounce right off Panthers and Tigers. This is not because they changed the armor values but because they finaly fixed the tank shells so the pridiction where the shot came from works correctly.

IMO the IS-2 although a more modern made tank did not stand a chance agenst the Tiger tank one on one. Like the Data sheet for it says. It's gun is not a 88mm anti-tank weapon, but a large howitzer.

Upvote 0
The reason the IS-2 seems nurfed is they fixed the bugs in the Armor penatration system where some shots would be seen as rear or side hits when they were not. Thus the German Armor becomes more effective at lasting through the hard tank battles. IE I have seen many times now shots from T-34s bounce right off Panthers and Tigers. This is not because they changed the armor values but because they finaly fixed the tank shells so the pridiction where the shot came from works correctly.

IMO the IS-2 although a more modern made tank did not stand a chance agenst the Tiger tank one on one. Like the Data sheet for it says. It's gun is not a 88mm anti-tank weapon, but a large howitzer.
Well, you can have whatever opinion you like, but battle reports show quite clearly that the IS-2 had no trouble dealing with Tiger I or Tiger II tanks...

Upvote 0
I may be wrong but i thing i keep getting hit on the schurzen from the front, but its hitting the backside of the shurzen and killing the entire tank when irl it would just causs that side of the shurzen to be ripped open or destroyed.
On the front of the H the shurzens stick out a little.

A round hits the backside of the schurzen and kills the whole tank

Am i on to something here or have i taken one two many hits off my tinfoil crackpipe?

Wouldnt a armor piercing round go right through the schurzen instead of ripping them off its only 5mm of steel if i a HE round would hit it i imagine the explosion would completely rip of the schurzen.

Upvote 0

It seems to me, that the IS2 and Panther are at the moment the only, still not "right" working tanks.

Comparing the IS2 and Tiger on large distance. Both have been able to penetrate each other on somewhat 1000m, as long the Tiger was not in a somewhat perfect angle, then im sure bouncing of shells would happen and give the Tiger a good position. But notheless, the Is2 gun (at least from late war models) should have enough power to get some hits that penetrate, when they hit the right spot. IN game you often have no problem with the IS2 to penetrate ANY german, when you are close enough regardless if they are angled or not, you aim for the turret and get at least after some richochets a penetration. This i did near always experied with the IS2 when corectly angled to the enemy, they could keep shooting on me the entire map (arad, ogledow) without any penetration. I got killed on Arad in a IS2 more times from there artillery then from german tanks, but on such close distances, really no german tank we have on arad should have any problems at all to penetrate the IS2. Same thing with panthers and T34/85, it is still (so far it never happend to me) not possible to penetrate the panther with a T34/85 frontal, but usualy on close distance it would penetrate him. Hapens just way to often that i have several riochets from a IS2, even when it seems without any logic (like hits in the turret, tracks etc.). The german tanks and russian medium tanks seem to be fixed, but the russian Is2 not. The IS2 seems to be the "uber" tank (which in fact was not), and nor panther or tiger seem to make a equal combatant

Upvote 0
I have mixed feelings. I probably don't play this game as much as you guys do, but my best friend and I have been playing a lot the last week since the last update. Man, I must say, this game is getting better and better. The new maps (or should I say, redone maps) are simply amazing.

Moving on.

I've been playing some of the heavy tanks maps like Arad and Arad Night lately, and the heavies seem to take odd amounts damage. For one, it's nearly impossible to penetrate the frontal armor of the Panther in a T34/85 at even point blank range. That I expected, but when a second T34/85 and myself (also in a T34/85) pumped 5 rounds into a P4H at <100m and it ending up knocking both of US out, I start to wonder. P4Hs seem to take brutal amounts of punishment even at close range.

Three times in a Arad already I've been knocked out with a single shot in an 11-o'clock angled IS2 from an unknown German tank (presumably an 88mm/56 or 75mm/70) at ~600m. On the other hand, the 122mm on the IS2 seems far more potent these days than I remember, but like I said, I don't play as much as you guys do. I just remember the IS2 taking A LOT more damage than I've been experiencing the last two days I've been playing.

This game is too much fun. Danzig rocks!

Upvote 0
Hey mate don`t forget the 122mm against the 88mm of the tiger.

Upvote 0
Howitzers were never meant to fire AP rounds but to fire HE rounds at an arced angle. As said alot of times, the IS-2 was used to blow fortifications to hell with it's large howitzer gun.

Anyway, I find the German camo indeed very useful. I always sit in a wheat field(Where available) and shoot down Russian tanks.

Come to think about it, the Germans have the most powerful tanks in game.

Upvote 0
Kuebel man just look out there in them trees and listen to those screams man you'll know what it's all about, ain't gotta worry about nothin fancy like a turret this or commander-hatch that once those bullets start flying you know, cuzz you get all scared and forget about everything except how damn much you don't wanna die in this **** hole man.

Upvote 0
Hehehe, this new-found confidence in camoflauge thing got me interested, so I did something I never do...I loaded up Arad on a pub server. I rolled my T-34 right into the middle of the south field, fulling expecting to get jumped by these hidden tanks I couldn't see. To my surpise, I got the opposite result. It seemed like the germans were so confident in the new camo they weren't even trying to hide. I'm a terrible tanker, but I took out at least 4 Pz IVs and 2 panthers before they realized they were out in the open and started looking for me. They never seemed to see me either. Lesson germans, never be too confident in your armor!

Upvote 0
Hehehe, this new-found confidence in camoflauge thing got me interested, so I did something I never do...I loaded up Arad on a pub server. I rolled my T-34 right into the middle of the south field, fulling expecting to get jumped by these hidden tanks I couldn't see. To my surpise, I got the opposite result. It seemed like the germans were so confident in the new camo they weren't even trying to hide. I'm a terrible tanker, but I took out at least 4 Pz IVs and 2 panthers before they realized they were out in the open and started looking for me. They never seemed to see me either. Lesson germans, never be too confident in your armor!

That's because the russian camouflage is even better on south field where its the same color as the forest in the background.

Upvote 0