• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Leningrad [Beta 1]

Got to look at your map tonight. did you get the arty stopping issue fixed. I looked at it and I think that there are some possible things that will go into continuous loops it looks like. While I dont know the affect that you are trying toget looks like you were trying to get some of those to drop as clusters. I posted this to MapO but seems to be missing. I can help you work it out if you like.

Upvote 0
I liked the light level--it looks like about noon on a cloudy day in the middle of a Russian winter. When does the sun set in February there--like 2pm?

It's actually supposed to be at night with the light from all the fires reflecting off the smoke in the air.

ohyeah and one tiny minor issue is that there is a random lone floating sandbag outside one of the windows in the building next to the anti tank position.
my fave map out yet anyhow! cant wait for beta 2.

Yup noticed this when playing my first round online, it has been fixed. :eek:

I see very few maps like this - and for very good reason because they are such a massive undertaking - sometimes when you are making a level on this scale the playability of the map can fade into the background whilst you're obsession with creating a beautiful world takes over - you're constantly struggling with the visual elements of the level - trying to balance what you originally planned with what is actually possible - it's a tormenting experience when you have to make compromises - but an absolutely necessary one.

My advice is to walk away from the level for a week and return - I speak from experience here since I chopped out at least two weeks work from a current level I'm working on in about 4 seconds flat because it presented a problem with gameplay

I probably would take a break but with the phase II deadline just over a month away so I don't think I can afford to. The performance level has gone up drastically since Beta 1 and I'm confident I can make it work. Thanks for the comment though. :cool:

Following on some great advice ^, Less is more. Do not sacrifice gameplay and performance for eye candy on an 'epic' type level. You will certainly take heat for scant details here and there but if the gameplay is intense and the overall atmosphere of lighting, efx, and general feeling of impending doom, no one gives a crap about plates, glasses, pictures on the wall etc. If you want to do the uber-detailed map, stick to smaller more managable maps where you have greater control over line of sight.

This is a worthy undertaking but realize the limitations of the engine.

I understand what you're saying but I really believe the level of detail in my map can be retained while still having good FPS. I'll admit I jumped the gun on Beta 1 and should have optimized it first but Beta 2 is looking a lot better and should be ready for this weekend. Beta 1 didn't have cull distances or combined meshes which really hurt the performance, also the decolayer alone was causing a drop of 15-25 FPS! :eek:

Great start to this map. I am sure you will get it tweaked out. Will you be releasing the custom content to the community at some point?

Thanks, and I will definately be releasing the custom content to the community. I just ask that people don't use any of it until after the Phase II deadline when all my meshes should be in their final state.

Got to look at your map tonight. did you get the arty stopping issue fixed. I looked at it and I think that there are some possible things that will go into continuous loops it looks like. While I dont know the affect that you are trying toget looks like you were trying to get some of those to drop as clusters. I posted this to MapO but seems to be missing. I can help you work it out if you like.

The idea is to have German mortars falling randomly on the Russian positions for the entire round. Each objective has 6 artillery spots where the mortars are supposed to hit at random until the objective is captured by the Germans. Once the objective is taken those 6 artillery spots are supposed to deactivate and the next 6 are supposed to turn on. This all works fine for the first round.

The problems start to occur when the second round starts. In my test map ALL of the artillery spots are active at the start of the map but they get disabled one by one (as they should) when the objectives are captured. This is actually fine because the artillery is still falling only on the Russians and gets disabled as the Germans move up.

In Beta 1 however, the artillery is fine for the first round but every other round after that the artillery falls on the last objective only. This means there is no artillery for the first 3 objectives which makes the map feels a lot more empty.

I hope this all makes sense. If not I can take some screenshots of the actor properties that make it all work (or not work :rolleyes:). If anyone can figure out why everything doesn't get reset for the second/third/etc. rounds that would be great. :)

It's very cool so far. I'll keep playing it and give feedback as time goes forward. Thanks for the effort spent on this, it will be an awesome map in no time I'm sure
thumbsup9hv.gif

Feedback is what keeps me going! :cool:

Upvote 0
It's quite amazing, I hope you have success in boosting FPS on the street.

I don't know if it's possible, but the big fires coming out of the windows may look better slowed down. (When making older movies (godzilla?) with small models, they would slow water or fire movement to give the illusion it was bigger.) I think they did this on danzig.

Upvote 0
Allthough this map would be an ideal setting for him, he would necessarily have to be omitted for historical accuracy reasons. As you know, he was a by-product of the nuclear detonation, hence could not be included in any WWII maps. Sad, but we must strive for excellence here.

I was just using his illustrious career to give an example of how they made water from a faucet look like a huge waterfall by slowing it down.

Upvote 0
It's quite amazing, I hope you have success in boosting FPS on the street.

I don't know if it's possible, but the big fires coming out of the windows may look better slowed down. (When making older movies (godzilla?) with small models, they would slow water or fire movement to give the illusion it was bigger.) I think they did this on danzig.

Thanks for the comment. The FPS has greatly improved for Beta 2 and I will continue to improve it as I get more time with the map. I've taken your advice and slowed down the fires for Beta 2, tell me what you think! :)

Played in it earlier its cool but how come russians can only have 3 riflemen and I think the germans get a little too much smgs. Also shouldnt the russians get ppsh43 wasnt it made in leningrad? But liked the close combat and obstacles and hope you fix problems in next update.

The Russian riflemen only having 3 slots was my fault and is definately not intended, this has been fixed for Beta 2. I've also removed one German SMG slot. I didn't give the Russians the PPsh43 because my map takes place in January of 1942 and from what I've read the PPsh43 was not avaliable for several more months.

The After Hourz crew was nice enough to schedule a run through with some of their members today to help me iron out any bugs before the release of Beta 2 which should be ready sometime Monday. Thanks to everyone for their support of this map and the Level Design community. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks to DrGuppy for letting us at After-Hourz have a run through before he releases beta 2. I gave the majority of my feedback on TS and in the AHGN forums but just for a quick synopsis: A lot of work has obviously gone into optimizing the FPS as the map ran really smooth for me. I only had a slight dip in FPS in the street after the anti-tank position is capped and there is a destroyed tram on the right-hand side if you are advancing as a German. During gameplay it didn't really affect me though. In the streets I was usually at 35-45 FPS and in the buildings 60-85 FPS.

This map really shows how good Combined Arms can be. It's not too spread out to where the Infantry feel lost from the battle and the tanks absolutely can not survive without the infantry forcing the two to work together. The map size seems intimidating at first but once you learn your way around, especially when taking advantage of the tunnels, it is just so much fun. Thanks DrGuppy for letting us play this next version before you release Beta 2. I hope our gameplay observations help you out.

Upvote 0