• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG stands

Letum

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006
If I was using a MG i would use the stand to shoot from prone (obviously)
That way the mg stays at the right angle and I don't shoot into the ground when I bring the butt up to my shoulder.
That's what a stand is for!

However, if I was leaning the MG on some sandbags a few feet high I would not use the stand.
It is not needed because the gun will be at the correct angle with out it.
Although the stand widens the base, it does not affect recoil much.
Finally, without the stand I can show a lower profile to the enemy snipers.

Hollywood may use the stands everywhere, but I'm yet to be convinced that it can be useful unless your prone.

Can someone tell me whats what?
A few combat photos with/without the stand on a ledge would be nice.

by stand i assume you mean bipod?

I think if you rested it w/o the bipod on sandbags the heat would ignite the burlap sacks and youd be screwed.

don't quote me on it tho.

I thaught about this. I'm not sure they would ignite as ive left a very hot Iron on my shirt too long before and it just burnt a small hole.

Prahaps we should replace "sandbags" for "small stone wall"

Yes: Bi-pods, tri-pods, mono-pods and anyother kind of stand.

Upvote 0
by stand i assume you mean bipod?

I think if you rested it w/o the bipod on sandbags the heat would ignite the burlap sacks and youd be screwed.

don't quote me on it tho.

You'd have to shoot a lot of rounds in order for the handguard to get that hot. Your barrel would probably melt before you get it hot enough.

I think Letum has a decent point. Probably the best way to do it would be if you were standing and tried to deploy you'd use the bipod, and if you were crouching and tried to deploy you'd rest the handguard directly on the object.

Upvote 0
I doubt that he fired real rounds. Look at the recoil. --> the MG42 is recoil operated!
I fired a modified MG42 (Austrian MG74) and you have recoil, in the video you don't have.
The point of the bipod for me was to lower the recoil. The bipod is very stable, so we pressed our body against it. We pressed our body so hard against it that a person could stand on (!) the MG.
I doubt that you can controll the recoil good if you don't use the bipod.

Upvote 0
like this ?

mg34.jpg

looks like no bipod to me

Upvote 0
Chec said:

did that guy fire blanks? mean as first the cameraman stands almost in the danger zone and, the weapon looks like it produces bareley enugh recoil to reload.

mat69 said:
The bipod is very stable, so we pressed our body against it. We pressed our body so hard against it that a person could stand on (!) the MG.
I doubt that you can controll the recoil good if you don't use the bipod.

thats the way you do it, if you wont, the MG jumps around like a cow tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHfgkvMAn0&mode=related&search=

that is a more agreeable video of a 42 operating, even though he fires too long bursts.
compare it to a video where they dont press in a bipod, and you see what it is for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well here you have a video where someone does not use the bipod to compensate the recoil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipVRs7r5Wk (I guess that is the Video Ruprecht meant)

What weapon is that on your picture 123, it does not look like a MG34, even though the picture name says so. --> What is the left hand holding? Why is the ammo box so far away of the buttstock? ....

@Letum No you can't. Apparently I did not explain well enough what I meant. Your whole (not exaclty) weight is pressed against the bipod. If you'd do the same thing without bipod you'd fall foward.

Upvote 0
The OP is correct, you can rest the MG42 on objects without using the bipod. Windowpanes, sandbags, gravel, even snow (but it is not recommended...). Sandbags will NOT catch on fire, it won't be hot enough for that. Remember the barrel is "floating" inside the framework which provides cooling and it will not be in direct contact with the sack.

I have used the MG3 like that, and never had a problem with heat or rest. Sandbags can, in many circumstances, provide far better support than the bipod, and give the operator far better protection.

When the bipod is firmly stuck into dirt though, it gives excellent support and you can squeeze your shoulder firmly against the stock, you will get alot less recoil. Unless you pack those sandbags really tight around the barrel of the MG, that is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The OP is correct, you can rest the MG42 on objects without using the bipod. Windowpanes, sandbags, gravel, even snow (but it is not recommended...). Sandbags will NOT catch on fire, it won't be hot enough for that. Remember the barrel is "floating" inside the framework which provides cooling and it will not be in direct contact with the sack.

I have used the MG3 like that, and never had a problem with heat or rest. Sandbags can, in many circumstances, provide far better support than the bipod, and give the operator far better protection.

When the bipod is firmly stuck into dirt though, it gives excellent support and you can squeeze your shoulder firmly against the stock, you will get alot less recoil. Unless you pack those sandbags really tight around the barrel of the MG, that is.

Thanks a lot! That makes things very clear. :)

Its a shame we can't do this in RO. I would love to take 6 inches off my profile when MGing againts rifles.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! That makes things very clear. :)

Its a shame we can't do this in RO. I would love to take 6 inches off my profile when MGing againts rifles.
Np, I live to serve ;)

But yes, shame we can't do that, although it would be way too difficult to code in a realistic manner. Imagine having only the barrel and half your head poking out from the sandbags ;) You'd have very limited vision though hehe

Upvote 0