• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Allowing for heroism........

Is there definately not some modeling of shrapnel for the F1 nades ingame because i've seen some wiered things happen with them - once I got killed by one when someone else was closer than me and he wasn't even wounded and we were both in the same stance (standing) and there was no terrain blocking it. Also i'm pretty sure if an F1 goes off it does less damage to you if someone is closer to it and in the same line as you, than it would if you were at the same distance but no one was between you and the nade. Maybe its like with bullets - they can't go through multiple people - it hits one guy and then stops. So maybe diving on top of them does work ingame? Only with the russian ones though - haven't noticed anything like this with the german ones. Maybe its just been bugs or i'm imagining it?

Upvote 0
I don't think that there should be a throw-back option...yet.

My suggestion is most likely MUCH easier to implement, because all you need to do is code in a quick check for player proximity.

And no, I don't think that we should reward people with points - otherwise, yeah, 10 people dive for a grenade.

However, I know that after discussing this with my KAS clan, I am very eager to see this implemented.

It would really bring pubbers together if they could literally save someone's life ingame.

Upvote 0
This isn't encouraging suicide directly.

It is encouraging teammates to value their friends, because at one point that guy might dive on a grenade to save your life.

For the most part, the game will remain the same. Grenade flies in, people run.

BUT, in that ONE chance, a guy sees a way to save his 4 teammates' lives.

I would LIVE to be there for that one chance.

Upvote 0
Well, I was playing on Lyeskrovy today with a new KAS guy (still in training), and by accident he showed me something that would be awesome if implemented.

We were capping the Comm Bunker, and DukNCover saw a grenade tossed in, and he - in a moment of insanity - flung himself to prone on the grenade, presumably to save me. It didn't work, of course, and he apologized sheepishly over VoIP a couple seconds later.

But he got me thinking - what if our men could toss themelves on grenades in order to save a room full of teammates?

It would encourage teamplay, and also give you an immersive sense of being there and actually putting a value on your teammates' lives - essentially, encouraging the mode of thinking that says "That guy behind me - I can save him," instead of the current system, which is basically "OMG, lol, we're dead!!!!?!!!one!!!!"

I know that I, for one, would often sacrifice myself for the good of the team, and I bet a lot of other people would have too. After all, DukNCover did, didn't he?

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I personally enjoy the idea that our team would be bonded when one guy, in a selfless act, saves 4 of his teammates.

After all, at the heart of it, isn't Red Orchestra a team based game?

sounds nice :)
Problem right now is... that you cant hear the ***ing grenade land...
Which makes it allmost impossible to know where and when it lands...
For my part 90% of the nades that kills me, I never saw or heared...
I can understand this if it lands on grass or soft ground...
But on a wooden floor or hard ground, this is bullocks....

I also think the grenades are too lethal, if you go prone.
Yes I know some of you have tried to prove me otherwise :) ..

I beleive that the nades should have increased suppression effect by the fact that you hear the nade land *PLING pling* and you dive for cover...
When it goes off, your screen blacks out and u get a temporary loss of hearing...

If you are in a tight room, where diving to the ground wont help, I agree that you should be able to save your teammates by diving on it.

Upvote 0
Some dev once posted that the nades' blast are indeed modelled in some way that makes diving onto them possible. I have done it myself a couple times in the past, killing me but saving teammates.

That might have been pure luck though, some other bug or obstacle blocking the blast perhaps, so I can't say for sure.

Upvote 0
Well, don't we look just as stupid when a grenade flies in and we look at it 2 seconds before we all die?

Thats because were all wondering who is going to sacrifice themselves.... "if we could"

"hey guys I would really jump on that nade to save you all but I wasnt trained to do that so I cant"

I like to see this implemented too, as has been stated I feel really bad/dumb when my nade bounces back at me and my teammates!:eek:

Upvote 0
There is one major flaw with this. But before I get to that currently diving on grenades is fruitless. Some 5.ss members and I tried for about half an hour at doing this and NOT ONCE did it save anyone.

The major flaw in this is the fact that the grenades seem to land in differenet places for different people much like the ragdolls. That is why sometimes you will die from a grenade that "appears" to be around the corner, and sometimes you die from a grenade you can't even see. So if you actually see the grenade and dive on it it could be very possible that the nade is actually a foot away. That is the reason why I think that the testing my squad did, did not work.

Upvote 0
I believe it was in Krasny that a German MGer was firing into a room, so that none of us Russians could leave. (only one door in the room) Anyway, while he had us pinned down, some Kraut lobbed a grenade into the room. Somone ran right on top... and the rest of us just randomly ran around like chickens with our heads cut off.

Tripwire, you could have saved 3 Russians, had that been implemented! I am so dissapointed in you!

;)

Upvote 0
There is one major flaw with this. But before I get to that currently diving on grenades is fruitless. Some 5.ss members and I tried for about half an hour at doing this and NOT ONCE did it save anyone.

The major flaw in this is the fact that the grenades seem to land in differenet places for different people much like the ragdolls. That is why sometimes you will die from a grenade that "appears" to be around the corner, and sometimes you die from a grenade you can't even see. So if you actually see the grenade and dive on it it could be very possible that the nade is actually a foot away. That is the reason why I think that the testing my squad did, did not work.

Which probably explains why diving to the ground doesnt seem to work some times, it SHOULD have saved ur butt...

Upvote 0