• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tiger is not as bad as someone will have it to be if I should judge by my own experiences with it. Last week I was playing on a Orel 88 vs 76 server, No bots where playing before you ask, and was soloing a Tiger and managed to kill 2 T-34-76's inside the village of North Bridge , although one of them damaged my engine, while they where within ranges of 5 - 150 meters of my tank with one of them actually kept ramming me to avoid being killed by the 88' but a Pz III showed up and distracted him so I could get a good killshot in. From there I moved to cap East Field and continued to the bridge north of South Lake in order to destroy it. While doing so East Field was once again capped by russian armour and since I was on the russian side of the river I traversed the turret and dispatched the T-34-76 that just capped East Field from about 5-600 m range. After moving a few hundred meters I was subjected to russian fire from East Heights where a KV1-s and SU-76 was firing from about 600-800 meters range and I succeeded to destroy the SU-76 while the KV-1s retreated with heavy smoke comming from the vehicle. Moving towards South Lake I came under fire from 2 T-34-76's and a KV1-s from the general area of the foot of East Height towards South Lake at ranges about 400-800 meters by my estimate and none of their hits penetrated my armour , while I in turn had a couple of shot bouncing off I succesfully dispatched all 3 tanks without really being in danger as their attempt to flank me was to late to save them. Now my position was known a steady stream of sovjet armor headed toward my position in order to take me out but I managed to get 3 more T-34-76's from long range estimated to 600-800 meters out and a single BA-64 Clowncar from within 100 meters of my position who overturned and tried to zig-zag his way out my line of fire. None of the tanks I engaged lastly penetrated my armour but I was finally taken out by the proverbial engineer with a satchel which I never observed sneaking up on me from the wheat field I was parked in:eek:
I guestimate that I was hit in execss of at least 30 AP shots from the Sovjet armor with only one hit producing damage which was the engine hit I got while fighting in the village at North Bride :)

Total kills with one Panzer VI Tiger: 2 KV1-s, 8 T-34-76, 1 SU-76 and 1 BA-64 Clowncar all in all 12 kills to my one Tiger, so it is possible to get satisfactory kill ratios with the Tiger - and yes I did feel quite invulnerable and pretty safe sitting behind 100mm of german armourplate while gutting sovjet tanks with relative impunity. Had it been against T-34-85's or IS 2's I don't think I would have done so great though.

The morale of the story is: If you want to dominate the field with the Tiger use it as it was meant to; that is from long range and try to have flank protection either in the form of other tanks or as infantry.

Upvote 0
just fer people posting about the 2 tiger guns, remember that the tiger 1 was a 88/55 or so, ( i know its somewhere in the 50s) while the tiger 2 was a 88/75(somewhere round 75) the second number is the calliber of the gun. so theres a fair bit of power difference without there actually being a difference in the size of the round itself...

Upvote 0
You obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about. Using combat mission as a source is a dead give away.

- Combat missions penetration data is incorrect by their use of angles.

CMBB/CMAK does tank pretty well Sich, have you played it? I am as picky as the next guy on historical accuracy w/tanks, and I find it to be spot on 95% of the time.

Have you had bad experiences with it? :confused:

Upvote 0
CMBB/CMAK does tank pretty well Sich, have you played it? I am as picky as the next guy on historical accuracy w/tanks, and I find it to be spot on 95% of the time.

Have you had bad experiences with it? :confused:
My problem is when people use their penetration data as a source. The data for each angle is all wrong.

Combat mission penetration for the 88mm L71
100m 500m 1000m 2000m

Upvote 0
I'm getting pissed off everytime I do tanking in RO. Today I drove only Tiger, got blown with one shot hits mainly. My shots bounced off T-34's, IS-2's at close range or were unable to "kill" them even at 30m. Then I hopped into a Stug and killed those IS-2's with one shot kills from far away. Absolutelly bull****.

Upvote 0
Well, I think that, as many people have already said, if you want to see a Tiger at its best ingame, play on longer ranged custom maps. When I play Tank maps I only play Black Day in July, and most of the time as a russian. In that map, with T-34/76's and KV-1s's if a tiger shows up we generally immediately go for a flank charge. I have sat for literally 3 or 4 minutes with about 5 other tanks, and at I would guestimate around 600 meters, firing at the Tiger with no effect whatsoever.
In that map anyways, that is the norm,and the only way to beat the Tiger is with a fast T-34 charge around its flank.

Again, as other people have already said, the Tiger really shines when it is supported, and this is from a player who only plays from the Soviet side. A lone tiger is usually dead meat pretty fast, even against T-34's once the Soviets have figured out that they have to get close to hurt it. If however, the Tiger has a Pz. IV, or a Stug. or two covering it's sides, it can lock down half of that map completely.

So the Tiger is quite good ingame, if used properly, aside from various things that happen that I believe are just from the fact that this is a game, not real life, so there is a tendency for things to happen that would not, in real life, and that will probably still happen, to some extent (Bouncing shells, one shot kills to the front, etc.) no matter how much the devs patch or tweak it.

Upvote 0
So the Tiger is quite good ingame, if used properly, aside from various things that happen that I believe are just from the fact that this is a game, not real life, so there is a tendency for things to happen that would not, in real life, and that will probably still happen, to some extent (Bouncing shells, one shot kills to the front, etc.) no matter how much the devs patch or tweak it.

yes, and that is even not a bad thing. A slight chance, to penetrate the tiger frontal, should be there (like a hit in the driver slit or just one of the lucky shoots that hit him in weak spots).

But it does not change the fact, that the tigers gun, is way to poor. You should not have richochets from the T34/76 on distances up to 900-1000m at all. It might happen! The chance is ALWAYS there, but ... not big enough for 5-6 times in a row. Hope you get what i mean.

Upvote 0
yes, and that is even not a bad thing. A slight chance, to penetrate the tiger frontal, should be there (like a hit in the driver slit or just one of the lucky shoots that hit him in weak spots).

Tiger's only weak spot was its rear armor plate. The Tiger I can only be frontally penetrated by only 2 tanks currently in game the T-34/85 and the IS-2.

But it does not change the fact, that the tigers gun, is way to poor. You should not have richochets from the T34/76 on distances up to 900-1000m at all. It might happen! The chance is ALWAYS there, but ... not big enough for 5-6 times in a row. Hope you get what i mean.

The 88mm L 56 in game is severly underpowered! The T-34 (both verisons) only had 45mm (at 30 degrees) of frontal hull armor and could be penetrated easily by the 88mm L 56 ranges well over 2000 meters (L 56 at 2000 meters, 30 degrees: 84mm). There is no reason for this relativly weak armor (T-34) to deflect an 88mm round at long ranges and especially not at close range! Here are some Tiger I tank quotes:

alanhamby.com said:
The Tiger's two greatest strengths were its main gun and its heavy armor. The 88mm KwK 36 L/56 main gun was the most powerful anti-tank gun then in use by any army, capable of penetrating 112 mm of armor at 1400 meters (0 deg). The Tiger I had the best quality armor of any German tank. The rolled homogeneous nickel-steel plate had the best homogeneous armor hardness level of any WW II tank, meaning it was stronger and less brittle. It was used in great thicknesses on the Tiger, resulting in great weight but extreme protection. The combination of this massive armor and powerful gun made for an almost unbeatable tank. Enemy crews often watched helplessly as their shots bounced off the Tiger and their own vehicles were quickly destroyed...often from great distances. The Tiger I was very maneuverable for its weight and size, and it was only 2km/h slower than the Panzer III and Panzer IV.

alanhamby.com said:
The Tigers built an impressive record in Russia during 1943 and '44. They destroyed tremendous amounts of enemy equipment and often just the sight of a Tiger would induce the Russian tankers to withdraw

Armor

According to Jentz (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.), "The Tiger's armor was invulnerable to attack from most tank guns firing normal armor-piercing shells or shot at ranges over 800 meters, including the American 75 mm and the Russian 76 mm.

fprado.com/armorsite/tiger1.htm said:
The armor of the Tiger I was not well sloped, but it was thick. Here is where many fail to understand that, in terms of World War II tank warfare, thickness is a quality in itself, since armor resistance is mainly determined by the ratio between armor thickness and projectile diameter (T/d). The T/d relationship regarding armor penetration demonstrates that the more the thickness of the armor plate overmatches the diameter of any incoming armor piercing round, the harder it is for the projectile to achieve a penetration. On the other side, the greater the diameter of the incoming projectile relatively to the thickness of the armor plate which it strikes, the greater the probability of penetration. This explains why the side armor of the Tiger I, being 80 mm thick, was so difficult to be penetrated at combat ranges by most Allied anti-tank and tank guns, whose calibers were overmatched by the thickness of the Tiger I armor. The quality of the armor was another major asset of the Tiger I, and it can't be emphasized enough that the Tiger I was a very special kind of Panzer, since it had the best quality of everything, compared to any other German tank. The rolled homogeneous nickel-steel plate, electro-welded interlocking-plate construction armor had a Brinell hardness index of 255-260 (the best homogeneous armor hardness level for WW II standards), and rigorous quality control procedures ensured that it stayed that way.

The 88mm L56

The 13.(Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Gro

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When we say ‘THROUGH space’ it is meant to be distinguished from ‘through space.’ Everything is always traveling through space from point A to B, traveling past an infinite number of points and an oxymoron in between. When we say ‘THROUGH space’ we really mean THROUGH it—Trans-Hyperbolic-Rerouted-Omni-Utter-Graviton-Hopping. Another way to put it might be traveling ‘between space’ or ‘around space’ or ‘folding space’ or ‘instantaneous travel’—in other words traveling from A to B without even touching any C’s along the way. People of lower IQ call this ‘hyperspace travel,’ but we know better than to copy such a phrase used in the works of cheap sci-fi and fantasy novels. Right? Right! So THROUGH space it is.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Funky functions of Boltzman distributions. Lightning bolts, man, distributed throughout the Tiger, severing synapses as the waveform collapses onto a single point of thermodynamic equilibrium.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys.
Been reading the posts. Here is a fact that has not been looked at. Only 1/5 of german tanks were destroyed by allied tanks during WWII. The others were either destroyed by anti tank weapons or from the air. On the other side of the coin. 4/5 of allied tanks were destroyed by German tanks.

The British first encountered the Tiger 1 in Tunisia. They captured one of these and shipped it back to the UK for evaluation. What they found was a machine that was remarkable for its time. Its accuracy was second to none, including on the move, there was not a vehicle at the time that it could not penetrate at over 1000mtr includuing the Churchill. The only thing that stopped the British from copying it was the engineering that was needed would have been too costly for the war effort at that time.

Thoughts? :)

Upvote 0
Tigers, like all German tanks, used regenerative steering, hydraulically operated - the separate tracks could be turned in opposite directions at the same time, so the Tiger I could neutral steer (pivoting in place) , and completely turn around in a distance of 3.44 meters (11.28ft).
If this is the truth I want it modeled in game ASAP! It's been bothering me ever since I drove the RO tanks for the first time and people told me WW2 tanks couldn't pivot in place!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.