• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Concealment Does Not Equal Cover! Military ballistics penetration tests. 9mm->30mm

thecaptain_ps

Mar 12, 2006
These may be old hat, but I was just alerted to these videos. Interestingly enough, most common urban materials do little to stop modern ammunition, especially from automatic weapons. It's great to see the footage. :)

Video 1 takes a little while to get up to speed, while video 2 starts with the M240 and gets crazier from there.

Enjoy!

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dKhMOfaYwvE

Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w22M1DAQ59I

In game terms, if someone is concealed, they can be hard to hit even if your rounds penetrate, giving them an obvious advantage. However, they do *not* have an impenetrable bullet shield.

This is also something that soldiers training with Miles gear would be keen to pick up on. ;)

Check out the 2nd video- they set off a grenade right in the room. So much for taking cover.

They also shot a grenade launcher at the door- and the fuse from the thing blasted all the way through the building. :eek:

Also a good indication of just how much good the bunkers in RO would do against arty. Answer: Zero.

Upvote 0
I have a couple of issues with the test procedure.

The machine gun tests in particular are flawed. On a battlefield, an M249 or M240 fired by an infantryman is NOT going to hit in such a small pattern. Reasons? Recoil and barrel break-in. I've been told that the break-in procedure for new 249 barrels is to slightly overheat and degrade the accuracy slightly. Why? For more of an "area effect" when fired.

MG's aren't for picking people off. They're for keeping an area under control.

Basically, yeah, if you hit ANYTHING in the same spot time after time, it'll punch a hole through it. But the trick is being able to hit that same spot multiple times.

The message is a very good one, though: know what you're hiding behind and what it's made of. And know that it's not going to remain cover forever.

Edit: I forgot, those fragmentation vests are just that: for stopping fragments, not for stopping bullets. They won't even stop pistol rounds.

Upvote 0
A single 8mm Mauser round will bust right through a brick wall. I was shooting bricks with my M48 the other day. I didn't film it though. The only video I had managed to get was the one where I shot the TV. My batteries died right after that.

It will also go through concrete blocks. I've posted a video of that before so I won't here.

Upvote 0
A single 8mm Mauser round will bust right through a brick wall. I was shooting bricks with my M48 the other day. I didn't film it though. The only video I had managed to get was the one where I shot the TV. My batteries died right after that.

It will also go through concrete blocks. I've posted a video of that before so I won't here.
All hail the 8mm

Upvote 0
Yep, I've shot wrecked, junk cars with my Mosins, Mausers, and my Garand. All of them went right through. The only round I fired that was stopped was a .45 ACP. It was sometimes stopped by the door. It never made it all the way through the car. 45s are the only bullets I've recovered. Except for one 7.62x39mm FMJ, and one mushroomed 30-30 softpoint round. Both out of pine trees we shot down.

Upvote 0