• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

don't go around saying this game is "hardcore realism" or "ww2 sim"!

Prior to purchasing RO I did my homework and read many of its reviews; one of the more well-written reviews *almost* hinted that participation was declining somewhat. The writer, though, did qualify that assessment by saying that RO wasn't really a 'mainstream' combat game (on the order of BF2 or COD or MOHAA), but that it appealed to what amounts to a 'large niche market' of gamers. Run-and-gun types won't like it, because it's TOO real, while sim fans won't like because it's not real enough- leaving the RO gaming community populated by new players who are just getting their feet wet (and working that learning curve) and older, more experienced players who find the game/realism balance just right.

In the short time I've been playing, I tend to think RO will continue to draw in new players- naturally- but that it won't become a worldwide smash hit simply because of the subject matter; Russians vs Germans is just not something the American market, at least, is used to. "Where is my M-1" indeed.

On the other hand, RO provides one of the few opportunities to play Russians and Germans on a large scale; this alone appeals to certain niche segments of the gaming community. I imagine that RO would skyrocket in popularity if an expansion were published that included American and British- even Japanese- forces available. I, for one though, would still stick with my trusty Panzers and T-34's!

Upvote 0
I got RO because

I got RO because

Prior to purchasing RO I did my homework and read many of its reviews; one of the more well-written reviews *almost* hinted that participation was declining somewhat. The writer, though, did qualify that assessment by saying that RO wasn't really a 'mainstream' combat game (on the order of BF2 or COD or MOHAA), but that it appealed to what amounts to a 'large niche market' of gamers. Run-and-gun types won't like it, because it's TOO real, while sim fans won't like because it's not real enough- leaving the RO gaming community populated by new players who are just getting their feet wet (and working that learning curve) and older, more experienced players who find the game/realism balance just right.

In the short time I've been playing, I tend to think RO will continue to draw in new players- naturally- but that it won't become a worldwide smash hit simply because of the subject matter; Russians vs Germans is just not something the American market, at least, is used to. "Where is my M-1" indeed.

On the other hand, RO provides one of the few opportunities to play Russians and Germans on a large scale; this alone appeals to certain niche segments of the gaming community. I imagine that RO would skyrocket in popularity if an expansion were published that included American and British- even Japanese- forces available. I, for one though, would still stick with my trusty Panzers and T-34's!

People in WWII Online said it had the best bolt rifle simulations they had seen.

Upvote 0
Im a Cod:UO player meself, but I only play base-assault, its one of the best gametypes out there. I dont like the bunny-hopping and random head-shots in COD:UO, but the gametype is by far the best Ive ever played, especially for clan-matches. Its more like a game of football or something like that, you can go more offensive/defensive depending on the score. For expample if you have a 5-3 lead (blown bunkers..) before the last round, you can sit back and defend while the loosing team needs to be aggressive and attack. I guess something like this would really add a lot of fun to RO, not having to defend OR attack, but having a few objectives to hold/destroy, so you actualy can use differant styles of play on the same match.
A little off-topic, I know, but I guess the first poster said something about UO, didnt he ? :)

Upvote 0
Im a Cod:UO player meself, but I only play base-assault, its one of the best gametypes out there. I dont like the bunny-hopping and random head-shots in COD:UO, but the gametype is by far the best Ive ever played, especially for clan-matches. Its more like a game of football or something like that, you can go more offensive/defensive depending on the score. For expample if you have a 5-3 lead (blown bunkers..) before the last round, you can sit back and defend while the loosing team needs to be aggressive and attack. I guess something like this would really add a lot of fun to RO, not having to defend OR attack, but having a few objectives to hold/destroy, so you actualy can use differant styles of play on the same match.
A little off-topic, I know, but I guess the first poster said something about UO, didnt he ? :)

I would jump on a gametype like that in an instant! Right now it's almost always one side defends or both sides attack. Can't it be both sides doing both? I mean it's hard to not attack a pec of open ground but in RO nobody even bothers to defend objectives so it ends up being a race to see who can cap the most first.

If RO had say a kill the Bunker gametype where the satchels would come into play for somthing other than blowing up tanks this game would be on real fast!

Upvote 0
RO has much to offer, but it has its flaws as well. Its really good but far away from beeing perfect.

As any other awesome game out there.

love RO, for its setting and the things the developer of this game are doing, you really see that some things are done with patience and love for detail. thats why its so distrubing by times, to die in this games, cause of some details, that got not that much attention or for example that some things are still missing (YAY FOR PANZER IV WITH SCHUERZEN ! :D ). But im confident about, that the developers have an ear for the community and work to get rid of the issues in the game.

Upvote 0