• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why vehicle view in 3rd person?

BeserkWraithlor

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006
Arizona
In a normal FPS game, all the vehicle driving is in 3rd person, and I feel that it seems too wrong. Vehicles see worse than infantry in real life, but in an FPS, they see much better, because of 3rd person view. You can see everything around you in Halo, or Battlefield inside a jeep or tank. It gives vehicles a large advantage, and ruins the element of infantry using stealth to take on tanks. In real life, a soldier needs stealth to take out a tank, he cannot face a tank head on. In halo, you cannot hide from a tank, you need to face it. Also, its an FPS! Not a 3rd person! Yes, you see better, but why do you need to? Halo works fine in first person shooting, why can't vehicles be first person? Whats the point in making vehicles in 3rd person? You see everything.

I like the how Red Orchestra makes vehicles in first person, because vehicles see worse, like they should, and it gives infantry more strategic element over vehicles, using there stealth to take on a heavily armored, and armed tank. It also keeps its word of being FIRST PERSON. Also, driving in 1st person feels better, even if its harder to drive/see then it is in 3rd. The aiming feels better too. The view is NOT THAT BAD. You can see the front as good as infantry.

I discussed about vehicle views in 1st person with my friends, and they think its stupid. They say vehicles in 1st person cannot see anything, and you will be running into everything. They also say that vehicles should see better. They also tell me that nobody would drive a vehicle where you can only see the front. They tell me that the only way they will accept vehicles in first person, is if the vehicle has cameras all over it, where you can see everything near you.

Your thoughts? What do you think is better, and what do YOU think about 1st person vehicle view?

Last edited:
I think it really depends on the game.

For example, in vanilla UT2004 when you enter a vehicle, you can scroll your mouse wheel to zoom out to a 3rd person view or zoom into a 1st person view. I've tried multiple times to play with those vehicles in the 1st person view but its nigh impossible because of the way the game is designed and the speed at which the game plays at.

So in more fast paced or arcade games like Halo, Far Cry, and UT2004 (All great games) the 3rd person view is easier to control and better for the gameplay, cause you play to have fun.

But for slower paced or realistic games like RO (Best game EVER) the 1st person view works tons better for gameplay overall.

But thats just how I think it works, I'm no expert.

Upvote 0
People are used to driving more in third person games(GTA, Just Cause, Mercenaries), and, when FPS games started introducing vehicles, devs just used third person conventions. Third person driving works just fine in San Andreas or Just Cause, but only because the entire game is in that perspective.

Third person works horribly in Battlefield games, by comparison. The game is designed for vehicles to be used in the first person.

Upvote 0