• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew this thread stinks.

Red Orchestra does a good job of portraying the Tiger as a old tank and the Panther as the true German super tank. Mappers try their best to put T34/76s vs Tigers, but obviously no one knows how to use them effectively because they read too many books about how a German ace took out a battallion of tanks.

You don't read too many books about the Tigers that fell to simple tactics such as shooting the tracks, optics, and disabling the turret. But we can't have that, the Tiger is a superior tank even by todays standards! :rolleyes:

you can say what you want, and it is true that in 1944-45 the Tiger I was an old design compared to panthers, IS2 and even T34/85 (even though, the T34 was a light or medium tank, while the tiger heavy).

But it all will not change that the Tigers gun ... is just to weak in game and that even the armor has some strange behavior.

There are chances, that T34/76 and Su76 destroy the Tiger frontal on large distances, if they hit in a weak spot, or that Tiger shells richochet from there armor by times. But ... this all just happens way to much in game. I had several times, where tiger shells CONSTANTLY richochet from there armor, or evry second shoot penetrated tigers front armor and caused damage, even when the enemy (Su76 + T34/76) have been more then 600-700 away. It happens, which is realy strange, that you receive a frontal hit, from the soviet 76mm gun, on large distance, the shot penetrates, but does no damage at all, though, your engine starts to become red. It might be cause of "shock-waves" from the shell, to have a "slight" damage ... but i would like to know, if this is really more a "feature" or just a "bug" and strange thing.

Upvote 0
The T34 was one of the most revolutionary tanks of the war, if not all time. The sloped armor, powerful gun makes the T34/85 more than a match for the Tiger. I really don't think comparisions to the Sherman are at ALL legitimate. The Sherman was originally under-gunned, and under-armored all to hell. The T34 is neither.

I have a soft spot for the tiger, if only for reputation alone, but deep down I know that, all things (crew skill, etc) being equal, the T34/85 beats the Tiger out. All considered, it was a better design.

What???????

The M4 had a gun of almost identical performance to the T-34. Frontal armor was similar for both tanks.

T-34/85 beating a Tiger? In mobility and range maybe, certainly nothing else.

Where do poeple get this stuff? :confused:

Upvote 0
Sums it all up right here... with few inacuracies.... but very close to truth IMO:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/articles/newgen.htm

One thing I'de like to see if the Tiger's gun is fixed is either AT guns or the SU-152. It would be an intresting slugging match having the Tiger face off against the SU-152. The Tiger would have an opponent that it was acually more manuevrable then, but the SU-152 could also slag a Tiger from quite the distance.

Upvote 0
One thing I'de like to see if the Tiger's gun is fixed is either AT guns or the SU-152. It would be an intresting slugging match having the Tiger face off against the SU-152. The Tiger would have an opponent that it was acually more manuevrable then, but the SU-152 could also slag a Tiger from quite the distance.

The SU-152 would give the German infantry a few problems as well. That's a big HE round. :cool:

Upvote 0
Also what is everyone's deal with putting only the T-34/76 against a Tiger? By 1944 (Which all but one of RO's tank maps are set in) the Tiger was eclipsed by stronger Soviet tanks other than the IS-2 and T34/85. They had the SU-85, SU-100, SU-122, SU-152, and ISU-152. All of which are a match for the Tiger. I won't even begin to mention the thousands of AT guns the Russians used.

Also you won't have a Tiger facing off against these Soviet tanks every damn time. The Germans would have an ample supply of PzIVs, StuGs, and Panthers. Of course none of these are as big as a topic as the Tiger, I wonder why too... must be all those books. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Maybe because people are seeing the Tiger model as a problem while the others are fine???

None of the models are 'fine', the impenetrable PzIV cupola for one? The fact that an angled Panther can deflect anything. The Su-76 taking too many shots and a IS-2 taking damage from the front from anything other than a L/48 cannon. (How common was the Pzgr.40 (APCR) ammo in 1944?)

The game isn't perfect, I just find it amusing that the Tiger is the major catalyst for your complaints. Even though almost all of the other tanks have similar problems. Like I said, it must be the books. ;)

Upvote 0
This thread bugs me.

half the people here don't know what they're talking about...

let me clear a few things up:

The front of the tiger WAS 100mm. it wasn't perfectly perpindicular, and had a not so noticeable slope to it. The Upper hull had a relative armour thickness of 102mm, while the bottom had a relative armour thickness of 110mm.

The tiger tank itself, when it came to the steel, utilised FHA, or face hardened armour. FHA was armour that went through additional hardening on the outer plate, which improved the chances of solid AP and APC, which were the staple Russian anti-tank munitions, to shatter on impact. And if the shell didn't shatter, it's overall penetrative performance went down.

Now let's look at the 85mm gun the russian t34 used. at 100 meter at a 30 degree angle, it could penetrate 94mm of FHA armour... and with an APC round it could penetrate 101mm of FHA armour. Which meant that the chances of killing a tiger at 100 meters or higher for the T-34/85 crews was a rarity indeed, and 100 meters ISN'T a lot, especially on the flat open steppes and fields of the eastern front.

The only real chance of the T-34 taking out a tiger would be with a flank shot from 500-700 meters or under, or to ram home a APCR round, or the tungsten rounds that were famous for being so rare on the WWII battlefield. With the Tungsten round the t-34/85 could easily take a Tiger out at 100 meters with a shot to the hull. And had a good chance up to 500 meters to take it out (IF it hit the upper front hull of the tiger). But if the tiger were hull down in either case, it was pretty much a fortress.

the T-34/85s gun, despite having a big shell, had performance that was slightly better then the long 75mm gun found on the majority of Panzer IVs. And while being superior to the panzer VI, the t-35/85's main contender when it started hitting the frontline in numbers was the Panzer V, or the Panther, in which it was vastly inferior except in numbers.

Edit:
Not quite. The Tiger used a lesser quality of steel as compared to the Panther because it was a later war vehicle. Yeah the 76 shouldn't be able to do anything against it's front from anything but insanely close range, but the 85 wouldn't have done too bad against it. In reality the Panther should be the German "tank to beat", atleast until and unless a Jagdpanther or King Tiger is added.

oh and another thing... the tiger, came BEFORE the panther.

Same. As I said the Tiger should rape the T-34s at anything but really close range, where it's slow turret speed comes into play. At long range it should pretty much be God.

Ugh, afterburner! No trained tiger crew would try to outswivel ANY tank in close combat conditions... When they could easily just swivel the whole tank around, which was much much faster and meant even the tiger was able to fight effectively in close combat with other tanks... but it was still a big risk, and the tiger crews prefered extremely long range combat to close combat anyday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ugh, afterburner! No trained tiger crew would try to outswivel ANY tank in close combat conditions... When they could easily just swivel the whole tank around, which was much much faster and meant even the tiger was able to fight effectively in close combat with other tanks...

Because God knows we get loads of teamwork in this game outside of clan matches. Most people seem to lone it in tanks in this game. With good reason too. Unless you get someone you acually know, there is a higher chance of your driver just screwing around instead of following your orders. I was kinda hoping for the opposite since the main reason I got the game was for the seperate driver and gunner.

but it was still a big risk, and the tiger crews prefered extremely long range combat to close combat anyday.
And extreamly long range is almost a non-issue in this game. Half the time when I'm in a tank I end up in fights that are less then 100 meters. A good number of times I've bumped into an enemy tank. And the few times I was stupid enough to enage Tiger at long range when I first started playing, I got slagged immediatly.

Upvote 0
And extreamly long range is almost a non-issue in this game. Half the time when I'm in a tank I end up in fights that are less then 100 meters. A good number of times I've bumped into an enemy tank. And the few times I was stupid enough to enage Tiger at long range when I first started playing, I got slagged immediatly.

Maps like Arad have some incredibly ranges in them. But as stated earlier, the tiger appears to be a little too easy to destroy... Or, the T-34/85's gun is a bit too powerful, or the whole systems just a mess (i put my money on the whole system being a mess).

This game is realistic, but when it comes to tank combat realism takes a back seat to pretty graphics and neat sound effects.

Upvote 0
The tiger tank itself, when it came to the steel, utilised FHA, or face hardened armour. FHA was armour that went through additional hardening on the outer plate, which improved the chances of solid AP and APC, which were the staple Russian anti-tank munitions, to shatter on impact. And if the shell didn't shatter, it's overall penetrative performance went down.

That's kinda interesting, i used to think all German tanks used FHA, but unlike the Pz 3 and 4 and some Panthers i never saw a decent source for the Tiger. Has never been a problem for me, until i read that no country could actually make RHA plates thicker than 80 mm till the very end of the war.

All the info i can find is that they used rolled ****geneous nickel-steel plate, electro-welded interlocking-plate construction armor that had a Brinell hardness index of 255-260, which is way to low for FHA.

A link would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
To the original poster/s:

Have you tried angling your tank to the proper 1:30 and 11:30 O'clock positions?

You'll find when you do, the Tiger is virtually indestructible. Even to 122mm from the IS-2.

You would have had a point if you complained when Ostfront first came out, but the very first official patch upped the Tiger's front armour a bit.

I feel the armor part is very correct now.

However you do have a point about the big guns not penetrating enough, or bouncing off. But this applies to the Tiger's 88 as well as the IS-2's 122mm, which could blast thru the even the Tiger's gun mantlet, the thickest part of the Tiger.

I've had shot bounce off the Tiger that shouldn't no matter how well angled it is, from an IS-2.

The Devs said they are working on fixing the penetration anomalies. Just that it would take a while.

In the mean time, learn to use the Tiger correctly. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's kinda interesting, i used to think all German tanks used FHA, but unlike the Pz 3 and 4 and some Panthers i never saw a decent source for the Tiger.

Well it's hard to find decent sources for the Tiger. Considering that the tiger was in production from 1942 to late 1944, and in it's lifetime it saw dramatic changes in the quality of German armour.

Unfortunately, I don't have any decent sources for the tiger on-hand either.

Has never been a problem for me, until i read that no country could actually make RHA plates thicker than 80 mm till the very end of the war.

I don't know if by RHA you meant to type in FHA.

But I'm almost sure you meant FHA.

I'm sure you know that when armour gets thicker, it becomes more brittle. That's because quenching the armour became harder and harder as the thickness increased, resulting in softer armour. But some alloys, such as chromium increased the internal hardening of such thick plates. But chromium, like tungsten, wasn't in greatest supply in Germany... so they had to use it sparingly, and on truely prized AFVs. Resulting in thick, yet hard armour.

And of course the armour could still be for example 260 BHN, but have a 350 BHN face.

All the info i can find is that they used rolled ****geneous nickel-steel plate, electro-welded interlocking-plate construction armor that had a Brinell hardness index of 255-260, which is way to low for FHA.

the 'hardness' of German armour varied throughout the war, as did the componenets of that armour. Once German nickel supplies began running low for example, they had to substitue... creating even more varied armour. To say that all tigers used hom0geneous nickel-steel play, with a BHI of 255-260 from 1942 to 1944, is probably not accurate.

A link would be appreciated.

It's not a source for the tiger, but it's a source about WWII and tank armour in general.

http://yarchive.net/mil/ww2_tank_armor.html

Some quotes:

From t-34 engineering

only the Germans utilized decent-
quality rolled alloy plate for tanks. Both the Russians and the Brits were
short on both first-class mill capability and alloy steel capability,
relative to the widely disparate numbers of AFVs they built.

from Griddling that armour

German armor started the war very hard, then lost hardness
as thickness and production quantities increased. The Germans used
face-hardened armor at first, with file-resisting hardness, then dropped
the face hardening and relied on the core hardness of 250-300 BHN,
similar to US tank armor.

Late-war German armor on the front of a
Jagdpanther was measured at about 200 BHN, as was Hetzer side armor. The
Elefants were measured in the low 200's after capture by the Russians, as
early as 1943. These are the softest examples of German armor I can
recall.

The last 2 quotes suggest that like the US, Germanys armour hardness varied GREATLY both throughout the war and between different AFV's.

The switch from the earlier face-hardened or
hard-all-the-way-through steel came about when the major combatants
introduced penetrating caps on their ammo, which protected against
shatter when hitting hard surfaces. These caps were so effective that
the FH armor resisted less well than softer homogeneous armor.

This quote backs up the instances reported of Western AFV's, which tended to use capped rounds were more effective vs. German tank armour then the Russian tank rounds which were more often then not just solid AP. This is logical as Germanys prime concern throughout the war WAS Russia. So advancements that would give German armour the edge on the eastern front even if it meant being slightly less effective vs. Western guns, which tended to lack the power to punch through the better German tanks anyway.

But this isn't proof, just a tidbit of evidence.

From FH/Homo; Cast/Rolled

Face Hardened armor is best at defeating uncapped AP when it overmatches
the projectile, that is, the diameter of the round is less than the
thickness of the armor.

Again, Russian AFV's tended to use solid AP shells. So FHA would be more effective on the eastern front.

FH tank armor generally had 80-95% of its depth at
machinable homogeneous levels. It was, in fact, made out of RHA. You can
see why it was more expensive as it took time, materials, and other
effort. After the additional heat treating, the plates tended to curl,
and so were flattened cold in presses.

An interesting quote that I know has some significance.

German 85-200mm specs at the
end of the war called for 220-266 BHN. 55-80 was 250-290, and 35-50mm
was 300-350 BHN. Much armor in that range was face hardened, with a
450-600 BHN face.

A captured Ferdinand in Russia was measured at 212-223 BHN on its 86,
110, and 200mm plates (Brit intell, 16 Feb '44). Spielberger tells us
that the plates for the Ferdinands were taken from Naval stocks, which
could mean it was made to different specs. German 85-200mm specs at the
end of the war called for 220-266 BHN. 55-80 was 250-290, and 35-50mm
was 300-350 BHN. Much armor in that range was face hardened, with a
450-600 BHN face.

This suggests that German armour of varying thicknesses went through an additional face hardening treatment that resulted in a BHN of 450 and higher... Which meant the tigers could have very well utilised face hardened armour.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.