• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flags of Our Fathers

sharpshooterklj

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006
Has anybody seen this movie yet? The Metacritic score for it so far is pheonomenal, being 93. Do we finally have a good and historically accurate movie on our hands? The trailer looked pretty nice, it has that black and white documentary look with splashes of color where it needs to be. If anybody has seen this movie, post a short review (but no spoilers). I'll do the same when I see it Friday.

P.S. This sorta belongs in the History section, but put it in the Podium if need-be.

I havn't seen it yet but apparently when Clint Eastwood showed the movie to one of the veterens of Iwo Jima the veteren said he liked how Clint spliced in old WWII footage into the movie.

Clint replied that there was no old footage in the movie. The best compliment he could possible receive.

That's pretty cool.

I'm going to go see it reguardless for the sake of World War II. Can't turn down a World War II movie, unless it's U-571 or something.

Upvote 0
Its actually a two part movie - Flags of our Fathers comes out this week and covers the American marines assaulting the island, and in November Letters From Iwo Jima comes out, which covers the Japanese defenders.

Very interesting I have to say, to cover both sides. I read the book 3x and it's amazing. I never knew what the Battle of Iwo Jima was like till I read it. I can't wait to go see the movie this weekend.

Upvote 0
I read a short review written by a guy in another forum. He saw it free on an Air Force base.

Here is what he wrote:

Down here on Eglin AFB they had a free showing today of the new Iwo Jima movie "Flags of our fathers". A movie representative made sure to let everyone know that no cell phone cameras were allowed inside as this hasn't been released to the general public yet.

You'll recognize actors from "Saving Private Ryan", "Wind Talkers", and "Band of Brothers" in this film. Very good story line with excellent attention to detail. The story jumps around back and forth between the present and the past but it is done well and doesn't detract from the story telling. There was a lot of wet eyes in the theater as there are a few tear jerker scenes that really put a lump in your throat. The two older ladies sitting near me must have used a box of tissue between them. This is one movie that will not disappoint you.

Upvote 0
Looks great, can't wait to see both of these

edit : Where the hell is the trailer to Letters from Iwo Jima? I keep clicking on dozens of links and getting the Flags trailer with japanese subtitles...

Thats the combined trailer they released in Japan. The parts with the Japanese soldiers are from Letters From Iwo Jima. A few places also still have it listed by its development name, Black Sand Red Sun.

Upvote 0