• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Go to sling" for rifles?

"Go to sling" for rifles?

• Good Idea

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Magical Brownies?

Votes: 32 37.6%

• Total voters

[CiA]Stiletto

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
A thought: how about making the deploy button have a function for rifles?

IRL, it takes about a second or two to go to Hasty Sling firing stance, but you get a MASSIVE accuracy boost. IMO, it's a little too hard to conduct long-range aimed fire in game with a rifle (note: I COMPLETELY agree with the current sway system—which reflects unslung rifle handling Just Fine™), considering that if you're standing around taking the time to line up that perfect shot, you might well tension your rifle in with your sling.

Time to sling: about a second, maybe a second and a half.

Time to unsling: about a second.

Time to drop sights from a slung position: none.

Thoughts?

Also, if you've never shot a rifle using a sling, please vote Magical Brownies. I hate to sound elitist, but this one really does require you to have familiarity with rifles to be able to vote intelligently.

Last edited:
frankly, they should be shooting with their slings currently with the amount of accuracy they get.

The bullet will always end up where you point it at... its never like that in real life.

But anyways,

yes, it would be a cool feature if there as an animation of him wrapping his arm around the sling.

Upvote 0
Yeah...I think it would be nice if the devs actually made the current in-game character less accurate than he is now:

1. More aggressive sway ramping: start the gun off someplace random in the sway cycle (but nothing crazy), then "settle" in for a few seconds' sweet spot in which you have relatively low sway AND the gun is pretty much centered, and then have sway come back. This would help get rid of the damn pop-up sniper effect, wouldn't hurt close-range shooting much/at all (IMO, it's actually a little too hard to snap off quick aimed fire at close range), AND would better represent what your arms do when shooting.

2. If you go to sling, play the animation (kind of loft the gun up while you wrap your arm into the sling), then come back to a proper sight picture. Same as #1, but it starts off much closer to center, settles in really fast, and then stays pretty much steady for "a lot of" seconds. I can keep my M39 (heavy f***er) shouldered and steady for a solid 5 seconds, and I'm not heavily muscled at all.

Upvote 0
I have to dissagree. The sling is a good idea if your resting or not using your weapon. Its not only difficult to run while your rifle is over your shoulder but your not prepared for combat either.

What I would perfer would be something like when your sprinting and your weapon goes across your chest. The ability to do that for all stances, or atleast the jogging one would be nice

Upvote 0
Piller, you just failed reading comprehension.

The idea here is that, once in IS, you hit "deploy" and your avatar takes up the sling for a better-supported firing stance. It has no bearing whatsoever on any other part of the game mechanics, because you have to lower your weapon (and, in the process, unsling in the sense that I'm using here) to be able to move faster than a walk anyway.

Have you ever shot a rifle with a sling?

Upvote 0
IIRC, Germans at least (I'm not sure about Soviets) were taught to shoot using their slings. The Mauser sling configuration is definitely friendly for such uses. The Mosin sling too (I just got the dog collar rig on my M44 set up). I'll look around and see what I can find regarding training practices...but sling shooting has been around for a long time.

Upvote 0
OK, definitely for the US.

I'd imagine the Germans also trained riflemen in the use of slings, considering that they were (especially at the beginning of the war) man-for-man the best-trained force in the war. Just look at the standard sling's configuration for a Mauser, while you're at it—it just begs for an elbow to wrap around.

Dunno about the Russians, though.

Upvote 0
This is how you use your sling.
RSsling_0612A.gif

PS. i couldn't find any better pictures that show the correct way.

EDIT: stiletto's is way better

Upvote 0
I never knew they actualy had a "hasty sling" motion. I was gonna say, putting the sling on should take longer than proposed but this move wouldn't take that long.

Add it!

You'd have to reduce accuracy of un-slung shots.
No, you gotta make it as if the gun is resting on a surface, but not as steady as resting itself.

Upvote 0
You'd have to reduce accuracy of un-slung shots.
I completely agree with this. I think that quick snapshots are unrealistically difficult in game at present (takes too long to actually get from hitting the IS button to actually being able to fire), but quick long range shots are unrealistically easy.

Odd balance. It works better than any other game in existence, it's just a bit off IMO.

Video up, so you guys can see just what exactly I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well remember in the Mod..... if you were there... the gun models did have slings on them...... But I thought they were taken out bc they would tend to lag up the game.... slow down your framerate..... etc etc....

But it was only for show... it would move around and bend.... it was cool and I do miss it... but would it actually mess up the gamepley....??

But the whole fact about slinging your gun.... you can be just as accurate without it....

Upvote 0