• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee Attack with Fists

I think the melee system is fine, the amount of times someone is in an actual melee battle is very small. It seems like a lot of work for such an unimportant event.

The way it is now if your considering going to attack with the butt end of your weapon it pretty much has to be a 1v1. If your out numbered or dont have a weapon you pretty much just run away until you can find a weapon or get shot.

We dont need no stinkin fists or shovels or throwing helmets!

Upvote 0
I'm digging up this old thread because I would be flamed for posting something similar.

Today I was playing Linengrad and got my rifle shot out of my hands in a hail of gunfire, I couldn't grab my gun because It was covered pretty well by a bunch of germans in the opposite building. so with only 1 grenade to my name I tried to find a safe way out of the building, and armed the grenade for a quick attack. While walking I accidently pressed the left mouse button which started cooking off the grenade and I had to throw it.
After that I noticed that the germans were taking over the area that I was in and not wanting to have a mine appear under my feet I decided to escape (unarmed). My only exit was right by a german sniper who was shooting in the other direction, and since I had no weapons, I could do nothing, I literally sneaked up to about 3 feet from him and just sat there.

So I beleive implimenting some kind of hand-to-hand combat would be really usefull. I have a few Ideas on how to impliment this but I want to see if anyone responds first before I type any more.:D

In case you wanted the end of the story, the sniper needed to reload and turned around seeing me, (I had already been there about 30 seconds or so, plenty of time for me to hit him if I could), he then tried to kill me, I took a run for it and evaded his fire, when I was about 50 feet away from the russian line, one of my team mates shot me. THE END:mad:

Upvote 0
You're on close quarter combat. Your rifle is shot from your hand. The guy in front of you has a bayonet on his rifle. You have several options: simply die, surrender and be shot like the idiot you would be to try that, or like Mormegil said, grapple. Are you people really trying to tell me you'd just do nothing? You know your instinct would be to tackle the guy and wrestle that gun from him.

Upvote 0
Funny, I've never actually played on a server like that. Even in 3.3 ;)

I think the best course of action would be to allow you to run a bit faster after losing your weapon.

You never played on the Core server during the mod time :O?

You know back when you played on Cia during USA times and Core during Euro times :p. I'm sure i did alot of evil things with that server like MG only and unlimited grenades ;o

Upvote 0
Well having read through this thread here are some of my thoughts:

Like was stated by Mormegil, grappling is probably the most "realistic" way to fight an opponent when you have no weapon, but it does not seem as though there is an easy way to implement this in to the game.

Which leaves us with the other options, fists and spades. I'm going to go ahead and say that the fists part is stupid, but spades are a bit more feasible. While I remember it being said that people would throw their weapons away so that they can use their melee weapon, I believe that it should only "activate" after you have been shot in the hand, if there is some way to trigger that. When you are left unarmed (grenades should not count as far as I'm concerned), you can select your spade using your scroll wheel, and then take the time to have to remove the spade from its carrier. Good, you're now armed with your melee weapon. However, your opponent is still armed. The chance of survival in an engagement is slim, unless of course you escape and lie in ambush.

The spade weapon would become deactivated when you acquire a firearm. If you should lose the spade by being shot in the hand again, the game should render you "combat ineffective," and you die and respawn.

Hopefully this system could be used such that the spade becomes an emergency weapon, as it should be intended in the first place. People won't start like in DOD or whatever running out with their spades unless they are engaged in combat already and have risked being shot and killed. If this can be done, it should be a rare weapon, but useful in those situations where you really need it.

If I don't make sense, it's because I'm posting this at 4:48AM and I'm tired as hell.

Upvote 0
Three elements should be added:

1) Wild Swing with right fist (2 hits for knockdown)

Note: As you reload you can assign DROPP WEAPONs key to an easily accesible key and throw away your weapon, and then make a swing at the incomming enemy.... It shouldt be too complicated to add such an animation...and it would really improve close combat

2) Add rifle swing when bayo is not attached (like COD)

Upvote 0
Your telling me that in real life, when an enemy is standing in front of you and you don't have a weapon that your going to run away? Your going to try to kill him any way possible. That's your JOB, your a soldier dammnit not some little girl.

its not possible to say what someone will do in such a situation cause evry human act differently. Are we speaking about a well trained (physicaly and mentaly) soldier or a already 9 months in the cold, without much food and supply fithing poor guy?

If i loose my gun and there are enemies in front of me, the first thin i try is to rize my hands up as fast as possible. If i loose my gun and there is no one around, i will try to hidde or to get back to my unit as fast as possible. The last thing i would do, is to kill a soldier without a gun, but that might be different if there is no other option available, like when i know he will spot me the next moment. Evryone will in most cases try to survive. Or just panic. It depends i guess really on the person. And that are just things i would "maybe" do in a combat. No one knows what really could happen.

Non the less a option for a shovel would be realistic and ok.

Upvote 0
As discussed before, I'd like to see a melee attack for when you have no weapon to use. However it should only be available to use on the condition you aren't carrying anything you can use as a weapon.

I feel there should be a distinction between firearms and grenades for that sort of situation; if you have no firearm (primary or sidearm), but just grenades, you should be able to use the melee weapon.

Upvote 0