• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are guns easy to use in real life?

This reminds me of a video clip on break.com that was posted a few weeks ago...

As some people said, a lot of it depends on if the person shooting knows how to hold the firearm correctly.

In this case, the woman didn't(lol):
http://www.break.com/index/girl_gets_knocked_down_by_rifle.html

That looks like a semi-auto shotgun. They probably had slugs or buck shot in it. She went rapid fire and didn't stand right. I fired a slug in a single barrelled top break 12 gauge and barely moved. Then again, I'm 6' 4" and weigh 190 lbs.

Upvote 0
I always thought kids had troubles using a gun, and they might fall down, or get hurt by the gun's recoil or kickback, I was wrong. I just saw a video on youtube showing a little girl (she looks like shes 8) firing a Thompson with little trouble. it looks like a baby could use a thompson with ease! I also see a normal man firing a PPSH, and there is little to no recoil at all, and he was firing it at full auto. :eek:

Maybe SMGs are as powerful and easy to use in real life like they are in RO.

Video of Man shooting PPSH:http://youtube.com/watch?v=JH2BVFTe9Q8
Video of little girl shooting Thompson:http://youtube.com/watch?v=MUqCzLadsts

I should stop saying SMGs are overpowered in RO, after seeing how easy they are to use.

The whole reason the Soviets issued whole companies with SMGs was their ease of use (easier to train people to use, anyway) compared to rifles.

If you watch the first video, the guy is having a hell of a time holding that PPSH on target. Watch it walk all over. The Thompson in the second video sounds a bit slow to me... I'd be willing to bet those are hand-loads, and a bit "under loaded."

@ Heler: Muzzle BRAKE, not break. BRAKE. A brake to slow down the recoil, so it won't break your shoulder. Your M1A also takes magazines, not clips, just so you don't go there, too.

Is it easy to shoot a gun? Yeah. Is it easy to hit what you want, especially when you're not sitting at a shooting bench with sandbags? Hell no.

On a side note: if I ever have a kid, I want one like that little girl who's shooting the Thompson. Look at all those A-zone hits! I'd be so proud, we'd go out for ice cream afterwords, and hang the target on the fridge when we got home! :D

@ Skater's video: That's not a .30-06, it's a 12 gauge... Sheesh. Anyway, she did a good job with the muzzle control after falling over! Pointed in a safe direction!!!

Want to get better with your shooting form? Shoot a Mosin. They punish you for holding 'em wrong. :p

Upvote 0
You must not live in Moose, Bear, or Boar Country, a .308 can graze off the pigs skull (at the correct angles) not to mention all 3 of these animals can sneak up on you. Magnums are for close range personal defence against large game while hunting...
or Harry Callahan. :)

oh, and +1 to another M1A/M-14 owner, I have a M1A-A1 with a 18" scout barrel, they are rare in the PRK.
Even with the short barrel, the rifle is more accurate than I am.

I've killed moose and boar with my 30-06. Yes they can sneek up on you. Shot placement is vital when hunting these heavy boned creatures, perpendicular shots to the breastbone, skull, or a nice side shot at the ribcage is all I will go for with the larger animals because I know even with a 200grn solid copper barnes-X it can deflect. A good hunter knows when to pass up a shot. =)

Also having a friend who's following you around with a 12guage pump loaded with slug as back up helps just in case =)

I haven't found a good recipe for bear meat yet, and also I haven't been lucky to have my tag called up yet. =(

Upvote 0
This reminds me of a video clip on break.com that was posted a few weeks ago...

As some people said, a lot of it depends on if the person shooting knows how to hold the firearm correctly.

In this case, the woman didn't(lol):
http://www.break.com/index/girl_gets_knocked_down_by_rifle.html
ehehehe, 12gauge pump will teach you how to properlly shoulder a gun very quickly.

My recommendation for begining shooters is this.

.22lr for life. Use it like a religion, ammo is cheap, no kick, get's you used to lining up your targets and everything.

12gauge pump. Ammo is cheap, lots of kick, get's you holding any gun correctly.

30-06 when you are comfortable with guns and want one rifle that will do everything you ask of it from groundsquirels to moose.

Barret A1 for grizzly, water buffalo, elephant, and semi-trucks.

Upvote 0
The .50 BMG Barrett isn't legal in all states... Moronic, never been used in a crime. What gang-banger's gonna get a $4000, 6-foot long rifle for robbing liquor stores? :rolleyes: Barrett now refuses to sell to CA police departments, I've read. :D

.22s are fun. They're great for getting rid of that flinch you pick up with your big guns.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
.22lr for life. Use it like a religion, ammo is cheap, no kick, get's you used to lining up your targets and everything.
Yep, .22s are great for practice. You body develops repetitive memory for different positions, sight picture, breathing, etc. All without worrying about getting kicked. I use a .22 and a .222 for varmints during the summer and fall. I usually switch between several calibers for deer season. Mostly .270 and .308 depending on where I'm hunting and what I feel like using.

Single shot 12 gauges with slugs are nasty. I patterned one from a bench once. It wasn't fun.

Upvote 0
I just took a new guy out shooting for the first time (with rifles) the other day.

By the end of a two-hour session, he was consistently hitting a man-size target at 50yd. Given, this was without time pressure or adrenaline, but still.

It takes a person to make a gun into a weapon. As things stand, I think I've created another would-be milsurp addict. :D

Upvote 0