• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A world war one mod

Alright, since it's Brits vs Germans, I've got a little unit class and weapons list for the British.

British Weapons
-SMLE Mk III, standard rifle, 10 round clip (2 five round clips) Has attachable bayonet.
-Rifle Grenade Launcher, one or two per squad, attached to the tip of the gun for shooting grenades, can be taken off to shoot normally.
-Webley MkIV, revolver, issued only to officers, and a few other unit types.
-Lewis gun, light machine gun, operated by one man, can be used in limited assualt roles.
-Vickers Gun, heavy machine gun, operated by 2-3 men.
-Flamethrower? (if it was used during the Somme)
-Mills bomb, standard grenade issued in very large numbers to most units throughout the war.
-Club, heavy wooden club, filled with lead, unsure as how to issue these.
-Knuckle dusters, like brass knuckles (I think these hand spikes on them though. Again unsure as how to issue them.

Brtitish unit classes
-Riflemen- Standard infantry unit, armed with SMLE (with bayonet) and 2 grenades
limit- none
-Rifle grenadier?- riflemen with rifle grenades along with the regular SMLE
limit- 2-3
Officer- leader unit armed with just a pistol and 2 grenades
limit- 1
Forward observer- Calls in artillery, armed with an SMLE? maybe a Webley
limit- 1
Light Machine gunner- armed with the Lewis gun, used in limited assualt roles
limit- 1-2
Heavy Machine Gun- 3 different things to pick once you choose this class
-gunner, the one that shoots the gun and carries the top part of the gun
- ?, carries the tripod for the gun, armed with SMLE, 1 nade
- Ammo Carrier, carries extra ammo belts, has SMLE, 1 nade

Thats all for right now

Upvote 0
The somme ay?
My knowledge on the subject is, i would like to think, above average.
You could include the battle for gommercout wood in the north, this was a divirsion which the north staffordshire regiment was involved.
You could include a bermount hammel, in which the newfoundland regiment was involved. You could include the battle for mametz, and devele wood.
If i was to learn how i would gladly do some mapping for you.

Edit: You could also expand and include the Ypres sailent, which included the battle of Passchendaele. Not much extra work would be needed, just a change in map style, from chalk to mud.

Upvote 0
the somme is a good choice, cos its the first battle in ww1 that effective tactics were being used after the 1st july.
not that public server players use them much anyhow!

lions being led by donkeys
kinda like 2006...

it would be great to have a passchendaele map, with heavy rain and things, would make an awsome atmosphere.

1 question, why only one campaign?

Upvote 0
The more i think about a great war mod for RO the more it seems to fit the style of gameplay.
In 1917 the standerd british infantry platoon wolud lend itself rather well to RO. There was normaly an artilary officer. I think this class should get Binocs and a revlover. 4 men where bombers, this class would get more grenades than the rifle men but less amunition for their lee enfields. 2 lewis gunners would get, as the name sugests, a lewis gun. The rest of the platoon would be rifle men, this class would be similar to RO's current riflemen class.
Numbers varied along the front but i think this selection of troops would work well in RO.

Upvote 0
That post just gave me an idea, the bombers are the ones that should have the clubs and/or knuckle dusters. Though it would fit more into a raiding party class, but i'm not sure how/if they were used in the Somme. They seem that they would fit more into a night map.

Was there poison gas used during the Somme? If so what kinds? I know it was used in Ypres (maybe not during the Somme, but at one point it was)

And do you think my machine gun idea could work? It just seems like it would require some team work.

Edit: and what about flamethrowers, where they used during the Somme?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes gas was used on the Somme.
The british used some on the first day. I know the ulsters fighting south of beaurmont hammel relesed some gas but somebody made a cock up with the weather/wind patters, and it blow back into the british lines.
Im not sure what gas was used by the biritish in the great war, at a guess musterd gas.

Upvote 0
I've been working on an SMLE Mk III for a few days on and off.

It's still not finished, need to work on the end of the barrel and make the bayonet but so far I think it's ok.

I can't texture for **** so I won't bother, but anyones welcome to try.

And does RO support blender files, beacuse if it doesn't, well we cant use my model.

Upvote 0
A realistic world war one mod would be boring as hell. Sitting in the trenches for hours waiting for a bad guy to stick his head out of the enemy trench to take a shot at it. or to wait for them to move into no mans land to be shot down 50 yards from getting to your trench. yeah it wouldnt work

World war one was a big long stalemate. not really that great for a game. The few tanks that were used were big and broke down more often then not and normaly only moved a few hundred yards if that before breaking down or getting stuck.

Upvote 0
A realistic world war one mod would be boring as hell. Sitting in the trenches for hours waiting for a bad guy to stick his head out of the enemy trench to take a shot at it. or to wait for them to move into no mans land to be shot down 50 yards from getting to your trench. yeah it wouldnt work

World war one was a big long stalemate. not really that great for a game. The few tanks that were used were big and broke down more often then not and normaly only moved a few hundred yards if that before breaking down or getting stuck.
Do you think you had to fight every day in WW2 aswell? :D

Upvote 0

Not realy. Post 1916 British offensives became a lot more sophisticated. It would have been close quaters fighting for trenches with nothing but grenades and bayonets. Imagine somthing like basovka with only the riflemen class.
The wave tactic you describe was only realy used on the 1st day of the Somme and Loos.

Upvote 0

Thats not WW1 thats just war in General, people have this view of war based on movies and video games when in fact wars is a very long, slow process. An example is band of brothers and the capture of Carentan, in the show its appears as if carentan was very small and it wasnt hard to capture in reality that town took several attempts before they actually got it.

WW1 fight was not different, you can focus on everything done in between or you can focus on the parts that would make a fun game, like all games do. Example: Before the battle of Vimy Ridge they had soldiers dress in dark clothes, and cross no mans land at night to capture german soldiers so they could get into. On the eastern front it was very different, there werent the massive no mans land and the front lines that barely moved. It was fast paced war fair. At vimy you also have the example were soldiers had tunnels going under the battlefield so they could get closer to the front lines without being shot at. In the italian campaign it was again completely different, Rommel has some good stories about what it was like to attack in the Italian part of the war.

Most people have such a narrow view of WW1 but there was so much more to it and there are endless possible ways to make a great game out of it.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/

Upvote 0