• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Portable field radios?WHAT?!!

• Thread starter Field Marshal Rommel
  • Start date
F

Field Marshal Rommel

Sorry if this is a double post I did some searches and they came up empty and I was pondering over this suggestion for a while.
Well I dont really know much about WW2 radios but shouldnt the Germans and Soviets get portable radios that are stapped to thier backs so they could request artillery airstrikes reinforcements or just to report considisions on the front?The current radio is stationary and can not advance with the troops making it hard to call down an effective barrage on Soviet hard points(they move before you can get to a radio)Please dont bite my head off as Ive said I know next to nothing about German radio equipment. I have some pics here of course:-:D
feldfu21.JPG
german_solider_feldfu.jpg

hmmm... this idea could prohably offer some good additions to the game.

im thinking about having only the local voice chat availabe, and need to use the radio to comunicate with the other teams in the radio circle. the only problem may appear is that the russians wernt that well equiped with radios as the germans. also just one radio may be issued per squad (prohably per platoon, dont know the historic layout) and thats usualy 12 ppl, wich makes 4 left over at 16 players.
lets see what you guys think...

Upvote 0
If you do some further research into man-portable radios on the Eastern Front you'll find out a few things:

1. Rare. Very rare!
2. Very short range - maybe 1,000m.
3. Damn heavy.

Basically, we don't model them in game because of the rarity. Even when a unit had one, it was not in any direct contact with artillery batteries, let alone air. They would most likely be issued to recon units. Anything with a range longer than a couple of kilometres would be a two-man job (one to carry the batteries).

We have thought about man-portable radios, but decided "no". We may get on to observers with radios in vehicles at some point, though!

Upvote 0
Don't insult me, sonny - usually leads very rapidly to a ban. The MP41 was dropped in for fun, as it had been modelled long ago. The G41 we've discussed quite enough times elsewhere and the PPS 42/43 was made in the hundreds of thousands. Not the most common Soviet weapon, but it will do. No idea what you are referring to about maps. And rarity on a single weapon makes precious little difference to gameplay - adding in man-portable radios would make a huge difference.

Upvote 0
The reason the G41 was put in was for gameplay balance on early war maps where the SVT40 could easily be on but the G43 could not be on. It is that simple. Also on late war maps the G41, MP41 and PPSH aren't even a selectable weapon anymore unless you are a commander. So that keeps these weapons rarity intact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We may get on to observers with radios in vehicles at some point, though!

That sounds nice!-:)
Okay then if it was rare then you guys did good not to add it. Although I do know that Stromtroopers regularly used radios like this to call in artillery on Soviet hard points and to stop artillery fire so they could charge the Soviet postions. I think it was in the German Movie Stalingrad even. I have a small suggestion for the current radios in game:The current Soviet and German radios should be different from one another.

Also on late war maps the G41, MP41 and PPSH
The Mp41 was a late war weapon in the German army anyway.The ppsh-41 should be available until the 1950's your thinking of the Ppd-40 and the Geweher-41 stopped production in 1944.
The PPD-40 was rare after early 1942 but during 1941 it was pretty common along with the Ppd-38, Avs, and other weapons such as that.

The Ge-41 was indeed used on the Eastern front and it was not as rare as people around here complain about. The fact is it was an issued weapon that saw combat in Eastern front until 1944. The reason the numbers of Ge-41s were low when compared to other guns is that the Ge-41 was hard to mass produce due to its complex bang system and its machinened parts while other guns had easier stamped parts. Tripwire did a good job limiting the avaiablity of these weapons so that the Karabiner98k is still seen and heard more than the Ge-41. In fact in some levels like Ro-Odessa people choose the Ge-43 over the Ge-41 and you dont see the gun at all in that map. My only gripe I have with the Ge-41 is that it lacks a bayonet attachment.- :(

"Rarity" seams to be the least of your worries when making maps and weapons! MP41? G41? That Leningrad PPSH?

I could also say the same about the Svt-40 sniper variant since it didnt exist after 1942 and should be removed from all maps after 1942!
Also that "Leningrad Ppsh" became quite common in the late war and I believe its called the Pps-43 or something like that.

You guys seem to forget it was these devs who brought us this wonderful game we play. Without Ro I still be stuck trying to mod Cod2 or dod!!
So please dont insult the devs!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys seem to forget it was these devs who brought us this wonderful game we play without Ro I still be stuck trying to mod Cod2 or dod!!
So please dont insult the devs!!!

Steady on!
I love the rare weapons and want more rare Items like, but not includeing, the radios!

I just think its hypocritical to put in some rare items and yet say no to others because they are rare.
Saying one thing and doing another: Saying No to rare items and yet includeing them. If that isn't hypocracy what is?

Is that so controversial?

Sorry for any offense my comments made, that was not my aim in the slightest.

May I also remind you of my many, many posts in total support of the devs. Includeing a topic a few months back in wich I made a very long letter of appreciation to the devs. I think they have done a top job with RO!

Last edited:
Upvote 0